All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS

Go down 
+14
truckin42
thatrandomguy
Chopperhed
matthew sidor
MSteele323
CraftsmanKid1
CityRedneck
W1ldyOvvnZ
DICE464
F150F250F350
AcreFarm
Jordan
dangeroustoys56
muddstir
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ

allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 11:18 pm

muddstir wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
Looks cool, I would of gotten annoyed having to re-do the shock mounts(atleast it isn't hard). How much did you pay for the Motor(or did you already have it?) and what motor is it, are you planning on keeping the Clutches?
It was a little frustrating with the shock mounts, spend a week taking eight pcs of metal welding them together and grinding them smooth just to toss them in the scrap pile. Then staring at it for three days designing new mounts, run to TSC get some new parts, cut, weld, and grind just so they can end up in the pile next to the first ones. But the third design pulled through, the angles are not how they should be but I got them on now I just need to finish welding them up. Pics will be posted soon, whenever I get a chance.

The motor is and old Polaris 440cc snowmobile motor, about 7 years ago I bought two old polaris snowmobiles, a 340 and a 440, and and old dirt bike (it was a pile) for $75. I scraped everything but the 440 motor and the bits and pcs that go with it. And yes I plan on keeping the clutches.

Seems like a smokin' deal for the Sleds, they are probably really old but i guess you got most of the money back in scrap. It will look like a true beast when your finished.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2012, 11:49 pm

Here is a pic of the front shocks mounted up.  I left the tubing long on the end to tie in more tubing to some how tie in the steering mounts and make some sort of a roll cage.  But thats down the road.
As you can see no blocks under front of frame, its sitting an all four tires (its about time).allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Copy_o13

Last edited by muddstir on January 29th 2018, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2012, 2:03 am

OMG! that tractor looks soo freaking sweet i am jealous! Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2012, 10:49 am

MSteele323 wrote:
OMG! that tractor looks soo freaking sweet i am jealous! Shocked

Thanks - but really its just a bunch of junk welded together.

Haven't got much work done to it been busy with the cars I drive, but I did start on a body lift for it.
I ran into a snag when I had to mount the chain case for the driven pulley and to make that fit I would have had to cut the hole corner of the hood off to clear it. To me that would have look kinda dumb so if I lifted the body about 5inchs I'd only have to trim some stuff to clear it.
I need the body mounted so I can get steering figured out.

My comp at the house is not working so no pics right now ( I plan on getting a new one someday.)
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 10:49 pm

Here are some pics of the tractor's body lift.
The first one is the new hood mounts that I made (before they were cut out of the metal with the factory one on the top).
The second one is with the body mounted, I had to cut the pc were the rear fenders mounted in half then weld a 5in section in. The pc under the the dash area is just bent like a box and sat on top of the frame, but it will get redone one of these days were it will slip over the frame so that the main frame is covered like it was done by the factory.

I'm should be back on it by the end of next month, but I've been ordering parts for the craftsman I got so I might just start on that too.
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 CopyofDSCF0371[/img]
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 CopyofDSCF0440[/img]
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 11:38 pm

Custom Frame, Full Independent Suspension, Body Lift, What else is next? How much do you have into this so far, im expecting more then anyone else on the forum does in there tractor.
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 12:16 am

Hes practically making this a quad. but its freaking awesome. and im guessing hes got like 600 dollars into it right now
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 8:31 pm

matthew sidor wrote:
Hes practically making this a quad. but its freaking awesome. and im guessing hes got like 600 dollars into it right now
Im guessing more then that, if he had the body from the lawn tractor in his backyard and a fourwheeler in his backyard then I could see $600, but if he bought the ATV for parts and the motor and the body then all new steel I could see $800 maybe and what im expecting I could see him having another $400-$600 into it by the time hes finished. We are probably both off but I would still be interested in the actual price.
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 9:06 pm

well yeah i was going off him already having the parts atv and mower
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2012, 8:50 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
Custom Frame, Full Independent Suspension, Body Lift, What else is next? How much do you have into this so far, im expecting more then anyone else on the forum does in there tractor.

Really thats about it unless I find a cheap motorcycle motor (600cc or bigger) and stuff that in there.

I'll do a cost in my next post

I've been known to have a problem of dumping too much money into my projects (I'm not rich), and just because they get expensive dont mean that it will work amazing or even like it should. All it means is you could have an expensive pile of parts and another new project on your hands. I've learned that a couple of times.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2012, 9:37 pm

I bought most of the stuff off of ebay and don't remember some of the prices so I'll give a good guess on some. Everything I bought was a good price in my book but once you add shipping it really can add up quickly.
I was first looking for a parts four wheeler but at the time the cheapest one I could find was around 1800 (asking price) and about 2 hours away. At 7 to 10 miles per gallon I wasn't going that far away.
When I do my craftsman I'll keep a real good tab on money spent, but it wont be anything like this build. It'll be a lot more tractorish but I want to really go off the wall on that one too, so I have to see if I can do both.

Cost Of Parts

BODY- FREE
BODY LIFT FREE
FRAME I MADE FREE
REAR SUBFRAME 131
REAR LOWER A-ARMS 55
REAR SPINDLE MOUNTS 60
SUSPENSION BOLTS, HARDEN ALLTHREAD 63
REAR SHOCKS, ALL HUBS ALL FRONT SUSPENSION 175
FRONT SHOCKS 75
RIMS AND TIRES 476
MOTOR AND ALL PARTS THAT GO ALONG WITH THAT 25
NEW BUSHINGS AND SLEAVES FOR REAR SHOCKS/ SPINDLES 60
1 IN ROUND TUBING 40
STEERING STEM 65
NEW COMPLETE TIERODS 83
1/2 IN U-JOINTS FOR STEERING 12
COMPLETE ATV FRAME FOR FRONT SECTION 150
1470 affraid

The rims and tires did me in, and I did list stuff thats not on it yet. I know there is other stuff not listed like cut off wheels, welding wire, flap disk, bearings for jack shalfs , ect, ect.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2012, 12:02 am

muddstir wrote:
I bought most of the stuff off of ebay and don't remember some of the prices so I'll give a good guess on some. Everything I bought was a good price in my book but once you add shipping it really can add up quickly.
I was first looking for a parts four wheeler but at the time the cheapest one I could find was around 1800 (asking price) and about 2 hours away. At 7 to 10 miles per gallon I wasn't going that far away.
When I do my craftsman I'll keep a real good tab on money spent, but it wont be anything like this build. It'll be a lot more tractorish but I want to really go off the wall on that one too, so I have to see if I can do both.

Cost Of Parts

BODY- FREE
BODY LIFT FREE
FRAME I MADE FREE
REAR SUBFRAME 131
REAR LOWER A-ARMS 55
REAR SPINDLE MOUNTS 60
SUSPENSION BOLTS, HARDEN ALLTHREAD 63
REAR SHOCKS, ALL HUBS ALL FRONT SUSPENSION 175
FRONT SHOCKS 75
RIMS AND TIRES 476
MOTOR AND ALL PARTS THAT GO ALONG WITH THAT 25
NEW BUSHINGS AND SLEAVES FOR REAR SHOCKS/ SPINDLES 60
1 IN ROUND TUBING 40
STEERING STEM 65
NEW COMPLETE TIERODS 83
1/2 IN U-JOINTS FOR STEERING 12
COMPLETE ATV FRAME FOR FRONT SECTION 150
1470 affraid

The rims and tires did me in, and I did list stuff thats not on it yet. I know there is other stuff not listed like cut off wheels, welding wire, flap disk, bearings for jack shalfs , ect, ect.

Yeah those tires and rims would be expensive, I totally forgot about those...You aren't the only one spending to much money in there projects:P on my Mini Bike ive dumped $1500 into it and brand new they are only worth $800 but I can go x4 faster and has x3 more bottom end torque. Plus it looks cooler then stock. hopefully it will be worth it when your done.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2012, 1:13 am

W1ldyOvvnZ - here are some pics of how I put the rear atv frame section in my frame, I don't have any pics of the notching of my frame for the atv frame. All I did was figured out where the rear axle was needed for my wheel base and I just guessed on the ride height, saw what need cut out and I trimmed it a little at a time till it went together.

This first pic is with it tacked in place
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B1[/img]

Now I connected the bottom tubes (frame is laying upside down) to my frame
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B2[/img]

I then found out that there was an issue with the shock bolt area and my frame
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B3[/img]

So I notched my frame to give room for the bolt, and I made a filler pc to cover the gaps.
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B4[/img]

On the top side of the frame there was a huge gap between the two frames that needed some fixing
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B5[/img]

So I made a filler pc for that gap
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B6[/img]

I welded in all the filler pcs (both sides had to be done) and sanded them smooth
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B7[/img]

Then looking at it I decided that it needed another brace from frame to frame. ( this pic has a diff front end on it.)
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B8[/img]

Cut some tubing for the braces
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B9[/img]

Welded in the braces, rear is done just have to remove the supports that held it square when the frames were first tacked together.
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B10[/img]

This last pic is with all the suspension in place
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 B11[/img]
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2012, 1:15 am

I'll try to post how I did the front section tomarrow.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2012, 11:38 am

Thats pretty cool, your going to have a chain to the rear end? I would love to do that setup but the only ATV's im willing to cut up have a swing-arm type suspension(but all of those are shaft drive, except for one thats taken apart and is chain drive), Ill try to see if I have all the parts for the Chain drive one if not then I guess ill see how hard it is to convert the shaft drive one to chain drive. If I cant do either then I guess ill be going back to the original plan, no suspension.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2012, 11:39 am

Interesting, Very Interesting

I've got a similar project on the go.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2012, 7:38 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
Thats pretty cool, your going to have a chain to the rear end? I would love to do that setup but the only ATV's im willing to cut up have a swing-arm type suspension(but all of those are shaft drive, except for one thats taken apart and is chain drive), Ill try to see if I have all the parts for the Chain drive one if not then I guess ill see how hard it is to convert the shaft drive one to chain drive. If I cant do either then I guess ill be going back to the original plan, no suspension.

You might ne able to turn a horizontal shaft engine side ways with the shaft pointing back, and adapt the shaft drive to it.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2012, 9:08 pm

That could work but then I would need to put a clutch in there and I would like a transmission. I checked all the Rear ends and they all wont work, im going to go with the original plan and go solid axle or I had just got a Chinese Dirtbike in a bundle package and I could use the Rear Shock or Both front forks and make my own suspension but I feel like the springs are going to be always bottomed out because its only a 80cc dirtbike and they aren't meant to hold a grown person and a lawn tractor.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2012, 8:40 am

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:

Yep a chain to the rear.

Years ago I built my own swingarm style suspension that ran a chain drive setup with a 1in stright axle. Never tested it, it was my first design and after seeing it installed I wanted to change so much that it would have been better to rebuild than add to. I didnt trust the 1in axle too so that was my give up factor.
Over the years I had some other ways of doing it but never atempted to build a new setup ( I kinda gave up on the swing arm style of suspension for IRS.)

if you want I can post or pm you some pics and ways to fix it, it was fairly cheap to build less than 50 bucks but I had the axle and metal already its just time consuming to build atlest in my book.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2012, 11:22 pm

Yeah sure can you send me some pics, i was working on my tractor tonight and I thought it would be alot better with Suspension. I was looking alot online for the past couple weeks for used ATVs with IRS suspension, the cheapest Ive seen is a 2012 Can Am Outlander 400 that had went through a fire, he wants $400, seems sort of pricey but atleast it would be better then Chinese quality and its 2012 but im going to hack it up so I dont think it matters what year it is.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2012, 11:27 pm

Finally an update- not much but still is an update

I'm need to get my steering hooked up but in order to get that done I have to finish mounting the body in correct location and finish the body lift. So thats what I been workin on. I finished trimming up the body lift that I welded in the rear body section/ fender mount. Tossed out the first body lift pc I made for the dash section and made a new one to go over the frame rails. I went ahead and position the hood in its final location (still needs a little tweekin). The lower dash section was kinda crappy lookin so I went ahead and revamped that too.

Next on my list is- I need to make a brace to go in the fender mount, it will pull the sides of it together and it will mount to the rear of the dash lift thing i made to support it. - I need to mount the lower dash section to the lift pc I made and do the final hood tweekin.

Then I'm ready for the top dash pc to get cut up for the steering setup.

Heres the pics of what I got done, This is the new dash lift I made
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 CopyofDSCF2743[/img]

Here is the lower dash pc before fixing it, it looks a lot worse in person
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 CopyofDSCF2738[/img]

Here is the new sides that I cut out of alum to fix it, the angle is alum too they get mounted to the new sides to give the lower dash section some new mounting points. I also trimmed the lower dash section to let the new sides mount better.
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 CopyofDSCF2747[/img]

Here is it all put together
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 CopyofDSCF2748[/img]

And the lower dash sat on the tractor ( the alum pcs will be painted black when tractor is finished.)
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 CopyofDSCF2750[/img]
Back to top Go down
thatrandomguy
thatrandomguy

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 2:33 pm

how did i miss this build?
awesome tractor!
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 3:08 pm

thatrandomguy wrote:
awesome tractor!

Thanks

I just got back on it this week, so updates coming soon.
Back to top Go down
thatrandomguy
thatrandomguy

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 3:25 pm

muddstir wrote:
thatrandomguy wrote:
awesome tractor!

Thanks

I just got back on it this week, so updates coming soon.

just need to find time to work on it eh. same here.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 9:11 pm

thatrandomguy wrote:

just need to find time to work on it eh. same here.

Yep - I just ordered some tools that I've been needing too, should have done that a month ago. They said they will be here in one day, thats good news- now I'll run out of metal or welding wire.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2013, 6:36 pm

Had some time to work on the tractor, and I'm now ready to get the steering hooked up.
The last thing I did was I got the dash pcs fixed up and mounted. Now with them being plastic I wanted to put a support structure inside of them, that would allow me to mount the steering column firmly to frame work - give the hood something to sit on when closed ( i'm going to make the hood open alittle differently) - and should support the dash pcs in a rool over.

I took some 3/4 SQ tube, angled cut it, then welded it back together in a hoop. Then took some more tube and bent some angled up right supports to really lock the structure down. This framework is not done yet but its as far as needed to get the steering hooked up. Here are some pics - the first one is of the support and the second one is of it half way covered by the dash pcs.

[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 4907795a-c918-4997-9cd7-80f5d3659d9e_zps8099923c[/img]
[img]allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Ebc3296f-1808-4d06-8ce9-f127d235a229_zps6bee7f8c[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    allis - Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next