All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off starts soon! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!

Share | 

Drive shaft idea's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
blanket80
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Drive shaft idea's   Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:53 am

I had an idea that came to my mind, that would eliminate belt slippage. My thought was, put a horizontal shaft engine in a tractor. Then take a trans axle and turn it so that the input shaft was facing the engine shaft. ( engine l--- --l transaxle). Then make a drive shaft to connect them. A plus with this set up is it would be a 1-1 ratio. Because the trans would spin just as fast as the engine. The only big problem is making a clutch.. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:02 pm

You could do that but why not just use a shaft driven lawn tractor like some cub cadets?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
blanket80
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:14 pm

I dont like beating good cub cadets, they are worth money, and starting to get rare. I want one to pull with though.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:58 am

Best way to do that would be to use a RAGB - run the driveshaft to the RAGB - then to the transmission - youd need some sort of clutch because w/o one it would constantly be engaged . Then a 'normal' top input type trans can be used. A drawback would be ujoint failure unless constantly serviced.

Cubs have thier clutch mounted to the motor then to the driveshaft - from what i take theyre pretty complicated to set up correctly.

In all my years of going thru a swamp- super thick mud and water ( up to the floorbords) - i never had any belt slippage, same belt that came on the tractor when i bot it - slippage is caused by the belt wearing too rapidly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   

Back to top Go down

Drive shaft idea's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Drivetrain & Brake Tech :: General Drivetrain Topics-
Jump to: