All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What is the best sprocket to gear ratio?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DieselDude666

gear - What is the best sprocket to gear ratio? Empty
PostSubject: What is the best sprocket to gear ratio?   gear - What is the best sprocket to gear ratio? Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 12:05 pm

Hey Guys. I'm building a monster mower, actually everything is done except the sprockets which I have some questions about. The mower used to be a husquavarna belt drive hydro. And with a hydro there is no clutch pulley so I thought to myself why don't I make it chain drive! But I need to know what ratio would work best. right now I am working on putting on a 30tooth (5 1/2'') sprocket on the front and the same on the back. What kind of torque/speed would that get me? It used to go like 5mph with a 4'' on the front and a 3'' on the back. Let me know

Thanks

DieselDude666
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: What is the best sprocket to gear ratio?   gear - What is the best sprocket to gear ratio? Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 1:12 pm

If you are talking about chain drive from engine to trans, running the same size sprockets front and rear would be slower than the 4" engine and 3" trans that was on it. Hydros don't like being overdriven like you can with a gear trans, speeding up the pump too much can wreck it .
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: What is the best sprocket to gear ratio?   gear - What is the best sprocket to gear ratio? Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 7:58 pm

yah if your going to do that do stock ratios otherwise you will burn out the pump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best sprocket to gear ratio?   gear - What is the best sprocket to gear ratio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the best sprocket to gear ratio?
Page 1 of 1