All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Fast Craftsman steering help.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
brownjon4
brownjon4

steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Empty
PostSubject: Fast Craftsman steering help.   steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2012, 10:24 am

Hello i need some help with my craftsman mower. my steering wheel just free spins i know it has something to do with the gears but how do i fix it and what can i do to upgrade my steering so i dont run across this again? it goes 34 i would like it to go 40mph any tips and help on anything would be great.
Back to top Go down
briggs 123

PostSubject: Re: Fast Craftsman steering help.   steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2012, 10:00 pm

there are bushings that go in it if you look hard you can see them thats your problem
Back to top Go down
brownjon4
brownjon4

PostSubject: hello    steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2012, 12:58 am

I figured out my problem my tie rod broke. are you saying there are bushings in my steering gears . the only bushings i have came across are in my front wheels I am new at beefing up mowers so i am still in the learning stage . thanks for the advice
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Fast Craftsman steering help.   steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2012, 6:57 pm

brownjon4 wrote:
I figured out my problem my tie rod broke.

In the words of the Hyneman...Now there's your problem.
Razz

If you are planning to get your tractor to do 40mph, you will need to beef to your steering. Stock steering systems normally have way to much play in then and so travaling at 40mph will make your tractor wobble and go all over the place, I would be horrible to drive/ride (whichever it is for a tractor) and would be uncontrollable, not good.

Look around the whole steering system and I every little component, to see what you can strengthen. My fully stock tractor will take a few mods to be able to get to 40mph.
e.g. spindles, spindle brushing, tie rod, rack, pinion, steering column.

post pics is easy, get a photo sharing account like photobucket, upload pics and the site will give you IMG, URL, Email links, copy the IMG code and paste it into here.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Fast Craftsman steering help.   steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2012, 9:26 pm

And brakes - been there, done that and nearly had a trip in an ambulance more then once - going fast isnt all its cracked up to be when heading for a ditch at 30 some odd MPH and not being able to stop - i suppose im damn lucky i wasnt killed when the transmission locked up on my LT12 craftsman - i had only started out when it happened- if it were at top speed, id be lucky to be breathing.

Add a trans cleaning and new grease/oil as well to the list......and a helmet.
Back to top Go down
brownjon4
brownjon4

PostSubject: hello    steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2012, 3:58 pm

thank you guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fast Craftsman steering help.   steering - Fast Craftsman steering help. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fast Craftsman steering help.
Page 1 of 1