All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?

Go down 
+2
Jamus
gearheadmike
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Empty
PostSubject: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2012, 5:08 pm

Im building a speeder project and i was woundering if you can put a aftermarket amp gauge on it and a oil pressure gauge? The oil i was thinking of where the oil/drain plug is located run a T block so u can hook the fitting up there then you can also drain it also? my engine is a B&S 16hp OHV Single
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2012, 6:32 pm

The ammeter should be no problem, many mowers come wth them stock. The oil pressure gauge might be a problem though. I was reading about this somewhere in my internet wanderings. What I read was that there is no oil pressure since mower engines are a sling style rather than a pump style. I can't say from experience, but it sounds right, makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2012, 9:39 pm

thats what i was thinking but i seen a guy on youtube with a B&S 15hp twin with a oil gauge and another guy with a craftsman idk tho
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2012, 9:53 pm

There are some B&S engines with pressurized oiling systems, don't think the one you have is one of them though.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2012, 8:29 am

Damn ok now about tach i was woundering if i got one from an old single motor cycle or would a car tach work and how would i hook that up?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2012, 8:35 am

Someone on here posted a tech kit that would work (I think they have a wire that wraps around the spark plug wire)... not sure how you could adapt ones like you listed.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2012, 12:11 pm

yea ive seen some of the ones like that i had a kids 4stroke skidoo that had one on it i didnt like it as it was pretty delayed when u throttel it up
Back to top Go down
swbeebe

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2012, 10:35 am

If the motor has an oil filter then it is pressurized. If not then likely a sling style. The OHV engines are usually pressurized.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: If you just want some gauges..   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2012, 2:48 am

If you are just wanting some for looks, Im sure you can add a few easy ones. like, fuel gauge? Oil temp? I know they sell RPM gauges and you can add a speedometer. then there is the battery gauge.
thats five easy gauges you could add..if its more cosmetic then practical.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2012, 8:46 am

Tachs can be expensive for single and twin cylinder engines. Check on instructables.com and you can turn a bicycle speedometer into a tachometer, just putting in the correct number instead of the tire diameter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2012, 9:25 am

Ive decided to just go with the volt gauge i was wouldering if a motorcycle gauge would work but im going to check around
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2012, 9:55 pm

Most racers add a tach to keep an eye on RPM's because theyre running no governer - as mentioned oil pressure wont work w/o a pressurized oiling system .

On most my tractors i unhook the battery guage, mainly because they dont work in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?
Page 1 of 1