All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.

Go down 
+2
Jamus
murrayman96
6 posters
AuthorMessage
murrayman96
murrayman96

14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Empty
PostSubject: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2012, 12:49 pm

I have a 98 murray wide body, its has a 14.5 IC quiet, and it only starts on starter fluid unless its over 85 dgrees Farenhight out. does anyone know why it does this, and what i can do to fix it?
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2012, 7:06 pm

Have you cleaned and/or rebuilt the carb recently? That's what I'd look at first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
murrayman96
murrayman96

PostSubject: Re: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2012, 7:09 pm

No i havent yet, i sprayed carb cleaner into the gas intake where the gas line hooks up to carb, but i didnt take the carb apart yet
Back to top Go down
Mark288
Mark288

PostSubject: Re: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 11:27 am

murrayman96 wrote:
No i havent yet, i sprayed carb cleaner into the gas intake where the gas line hooks up to carb, but i didnt take the carb apart yet

Ya need to check the carb dude! no mower runs with a dirty carb. Take the bowl off the carb and see how dirty that is then judge whether the whole thing needs to be cleaned. Also make sure your fuel lines arnt clogged
Back to top Go down
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

PostSubject: Re: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 12:12 pm

i had tht same problem with my tiller. i did was cleaned the carb. i also had to adjust my fule mixture screw.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 12:49 pm

To be honest, I have yet to clean my carb. It's a good thing to do in trying to fix problems. I'm in the process of cleaning a carb from a briggs generator which began running terribly. I'm sure some of my engine problems are the dirty carb I keep putting off to cleam. Laughing Be sure to take everything apart(remember where everything goes)Jets, float, ect. It's also a good thing to replace the gaskets while you have it all apart.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:02 pm

unless they are really worn out, 90 percent of the time, when these engine start to run crappy, it is a carb/fuel problem.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.   14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

14.5 I/C Briggs wont start without starter fluid.
Page 1 of 1