All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman mower

Go down 
+5
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
arild365
CMHN
Thevinnieman92
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chunk
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Sounds sweeeet! What kind of quad is it? Brakes are such a must, Im still on the hunt for some.
Really looking forawrd to seeing what you come up with bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Its a kasea skyhawk 90cc Im going to pull the rear flip it around and pull the brakes with it im thinking about running the brakes cable out through the body plate sorta like an E brake
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 7:04 am

Yeah, brakes are such a pain! I need to find a nice set that work well with this much weight and abuse.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:37 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Youll need to possibly lift it, and have the front axle articulate more as well as some larger front tires- Fearless front used a bolt welded on the front spindles to hold the larger wheels on.

Ive used my 80's stock Agway as a mud swamper the last few years up at the folks house- surprisingly did great in the mud. Its getting a mild lift, rear tires on the front with more articulation on the axle and larger motor as a phase one.

Easier way.. I took some front 8 inch rims off of a bigger craftsman and they fit right on the front of my lawnmower. Now I just need the tires lol. It is hard to find a set of bigger tires for a 6 inch rim but you can find LOTS of 8 inch tires Smile bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:16 pm

The wheels i had just reached the end of the stock spindles on the agway - depends on the rims and spindle length what'll fit.

My LT 11 ( to rebuild for mowing) has a one of a kind front wheels - tried 4-5 sets on it and nothing fit- the hubs were too long - i had to look around for the stock set i put in my tire stack- the front axle on the ends ( where the spindle is) is a 'pinched metal' and has a tab pointed to the wheels- any other wheel i had would hit that tab. Id planned on making a mod from it but again, changed my mind ( already have a handful of them).
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

My old Noma based rider had a handbrake/e brake style lever for the deck engagement or height, one of the two. I was thikning about maybe using mine for a parking brake too. Great minds huh!? Wink
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 5:45 pm

alright theese last few weeks have been rough for my mower right now there is no front right tire and my exhauset is no more. I wanteveryones opinion. I want to make it into a mudder obviously. I need heres what i currently want to do.. Make it chain drive with a go-kart clutch, lift, reinforce it and run bigger tires on it. Exhaust and possibly new motor? what do you guys think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:39 pm

Thevinnieman92 wrote:
alright theese last few weeks have been rough for my mower right now there is no front right tire and my exhauset is no more. I wanteveryones opinion. I want to make it into a mudder obviously. I need heres what i currently want to do.. Make it chain drive with a go-kart clutch, lift, reinforce it and run bigger tires on it. Exhaust and possibly new motor? what do you guys think.

Go with the biggest single cylinder briggs you can find, as for the other stuff i replyed in other posts about this project. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 7:16 pm

TRcustomengineering719: Some newer singles go into 18HP ( weird considering i have a few 18HP twins) - i still say best bang for the buck is a twin hands down. For power definitly. Fuel use will be way up, but i see that as a minor draw back. Twins will have tons more power then a single , you can rev them more then a single .

I had a 14.5 HP single on my mod murray to begin with- 6th gear WOT was about 3rd gear half throttle with the twin, and it had a lot more to go. Both setups had a 6" engine and 3" trans pulley . Only minor thing i noticed was the twin took a hair longer to wind up , once it did, it was worth it. Im almost ready to slap that 18HP back on my mild mod murray and make that thing motorvate.

Thevinnieman92:
Id look for either a parts go kart ( with wheels) or junker tractor( with large wheels/motor) to get those parts you need cheeply .

Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Yea, i aggre but not many people sell tractors around here. I just got some front tires mounted there not big but they work. I took apart my 4 wheeler axle today a-d may use that its really strong and no.slip diff on it. As for a motor someone told me that they might have a 22 horse twin but it has a fuel pump and atuff and i dont have any electronic skills. Random statement. I took my mower out after i put tires on it and did a wheelie from my house to a block away it was awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Yeah but who would want a 19hp twin when u can get a 21hp single now, much lighter and better on gas.
I mean i will always love the twins but man they are heavy and like to drink!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 7:28 am

I gotta agree. I love my oppsed twin for the sound, but if I could get a 17 or bigger OHV single I would immediatly. Theyre thirsty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Chunk wrote:
I gotta agree. I love my oppsed twin for the sound, but if I could get a 17 or bigger OHV single I would immediatly. Theyre thirsty

Speaking of twins i broke one head bolt today on my 19.5hp i/c i just put it back to gether the way it was.

What do you do about that wneh they brake off like that, it'a a steel bolt in aluminulm block, i try'd drilling one out before but the drill bit always goes rite off into the side of the bolt and into the block.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 5:40 pm

TRcustomengineering719 wrote:
Chunk wrote:

Speaking of twins i broke one head bolt today on my 19.5hp i/c i just put it back to gether the way it was.

What do you do about that wneh they brake off like that, it'a a steel bolt in aluminulm block, i try'd drilling one out before but the drill bit always goes rite off into the side of the bolt and into the block.

What I normally do in the situation is build up the broken bolt slowly with weld, until you can weld a nut on it or use vise-grips. 90% of the time it will come right out, as the heat of welding helps, just make sure to keep splatter away from internals. I have done it many times on outboards with horribly corroded bolts from salt water use and it usually works. I've tried drilling them out and rarely have good luck. But if you do drill make sure you drill a pilot hole first, it will help center a bigger bit.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Thevinnieman92: Unless its a high end tractor, 99% of the older twins use a vacuum fuel pump - runs off motor vacuum. Electric wiring is nearly the same as a single.

TRcustomengineering719: Every single one of the bolts on my tractors that go into aluminum , get a lil dab of never seize - i broke enough of them off ( most in the trans-brake calipers) .
I had a few bolts break off in my weedeater tractors deck mandrels- i drilled em out( wallowed em out) and just used a bigger bolt- on a engine block, you might need a drill press to keep the bit from wandering.

I have a 16.5HP single OHV motor on my 03 murray- its thirsty enough - id like to buy more twin motors actually and put em on the tractors that theyll fit in. Me likey twins - i dont mow enough to worry about fuel usage. Laughing

Actually years ago i went thru a test on my '82 dynamark 11HP flathead briggs - i put a fresh air filter on, new E3 spark plug gapped correctly , one of those 'fuel saver' magnet things on the fuel line , tweeked the carb to run a tad lean and...... it still used the same amount of gas as it did w/o that stuff on it- that was mowing 3 acres of grass a week- still took about 8 galons .
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 5:26 am

Yeah, theres no need to worry about the wiring for that Briggs twin. It's all the same, you still ahve 4 wires to the motor (starter, coil earth, 2 charging wires)
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Alright i put a new exhaust or shuld i say a exhaust on finally and it has way more torque im guessing due to back preassure of something, but i can do a wheelie in 3rd and ride it out with out worrying about fliping over Twisted Evil so its pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Awesome, can't wait to see a video! rabbit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman - Craftsman mower - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman mower
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2