All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2020 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-Hillbilly Offroading . . . 2-darkside0914
HASPIN 2021 . . . Wednesday June 23rd through Sunday June 27th.
2021 Top Tractor Challenge August 14 competition –August 15 competitors ride, Pymatuning Pennsylvania **INFO HERE**
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

 

 Average fuel tank capacity/run time

Go down 
+2
CornishMorgan
Chopperhed
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 54
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Looking for input on fuel capacity versus run time on various 13 hp clones or similar powered setups.

Trying to decide what size fuel tank size I need.

Thanks all

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
CornishMorgan
Screwdriver
Screwdriver


Join date : 2012-06-10
Posts : 302
Forum Rep : 0

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm probably wrong on this but I have always thought that is an engine is a 500cc, then wouldn't it use 500cc or 500ml of fuel per hour with no load at max rated speed? Is this true?

If this is the case then have a look at the engine size and calculate it from there based on how long you want to to run for.

Like I said, I'm more than likely to be wrong about this.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 54
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 10:59 pm

thanks, but, I already discovered that a custom fuel cell is my only option. there just isn't the space.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
dangeroustoys56
Prybar
Prybar
dangeroustoys56

Age : 50
Join date : 2010-02-10
Posts : 1726
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida, USA

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 am

Probably the best option, theres a million different tanks sizes on tractors - finding one would be an issue. What about using a washer jug off a car from a junkyard or something similar ?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 54
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 pm

The space I have available is limited, i may have to run 2 small tanks
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
TheRainbowBoxer
Moderator
Moderator
TheRainbowBoxer

Age : 46
Join date : 2012-04-23
Posts : 1069
Forum Rep : 13
Location : Galion, OH

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 11:57 pm

The 500cc rating is the displacement of the cylinder(s).

_______________________________________________
Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2020 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2020 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2021!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Ariens YT11

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-10-31
Posts : 745
Forum Rep : 0
Location : The Wyo-Braska Panhandle

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm

By what I know a small motor like B&S, koler, ect at 3600 RPM use a gallon a hour give or take, my 11.5Hp B&S uses a little over a gallon a hour.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan
Screwdriver
Screwdriver


Join date : 2012-06-10
Posts : 302
Forum Rep : 0

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 pm

@TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
The 500cc rating is the displacement of the cylinder(s).

Indeed but does it have have anything to do with the amount of fuel or air the engine would suck in as well?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 54
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 5:30 pm

@CornishMorgan wrote:
@TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
The 500cc rating is the displacement of the cylinder(s).

Indeed but does it have have anything to do with the amount of fuel or air the engine would suck in as well?

Only in the sense that the bigger the displacement, the more air and fuel it needs to run,
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
CornishMorgan
Screwdriver
Screwdriver


Join date : 2012-06-10
Posts : 302
Forum Rep : 0

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm

@Chopperhed wrote:
@CornishMorgan wrote:
@TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
The 500cc rating is the displacement of the cylinder(s).

Indeed but does it have have anything to do with the amount of fuel or air the engine would suck in as well?

Only in the sense that the bigger the displacement, the more air and fuel it needs to run,

Ok so a 500cc would not use 500cc of fuel per hour or 500cc of air?
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Jamus

Age : 41
Join date : 2010-06-28
Posts : 511
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Southern WV

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Nope, I don't even know how much liquid 500 cc is, haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 54
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 pm

@CornishMorgan wrote:
@Chopperhed wrote:
@CornishMorgan wrote:
@TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
The 500cc rating is the displacement of the cylinder(s).

Indeed but does it have have anything to do with the amount of fuel or air the engine would suck in as well?

Only in the sense that the bigger the displacement, the more air and fuel it needs to run,

Ok so a 500cc would not use 500cc of fuel per hour or 500cc of air?


Sorry, no

An engine will use the fuel and air required to reach a specific ratio in the combustion chamber. Usually about 14.7:1 ( air to fuel). Chemically, this ratio is called the stoichiometric ratio, and varies. Altitiude, air density, temperature, humidity, etc change the ratios slightly, but the ratio is usually pretty close to the 14.7:1 at sea level.

Increasing the displacement of the engine, increases the amount of fuel and air neccessary to meet the ratio. Changing the airflow of the engine also affects this. So anytime we change a carb, exhaust, or anything related to these two systems, the carb has to be rejetted/reset accordingly. Aircleaner mods ,and exhaust stack are included in this.


Ok, so that being said. these little engines are generally set to run pretty rich anyway. A rich mixture eats gas, but the extra fuel helps cool the engine. Its hard to kill a motor by running it rich, but if you lean it out too much, you get burnt valves, broken rings, and holed pistons. Increasing airflow leans out a mixture, so running stacks and free flowing airfilters will cause issue if its not corrected.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
CornishMorgan
Screwdriver
Screwdriver


Join date : 2012-06-10
Posts : 302
Forum Rep : 0

Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 am

@Chopperhed wrote:
@CornishMorgan wrote:
@Chopperhed wrote:
@CornishMorgan wrote:
@TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
The 500cc rating is the displacement of the cylinder(s).

Indeed but does it have have anything to do with the amount of fuel or air the engine would suck in as well?

Only in the sense that the bigger the displacement, the more air and fuel it needs to run,

Ok so a 500cc would not use 500cc of fuel per hour or 500cc of air?


Sorry, no

An engine will use the fuel and air required to reach a specific ratio in the combustion chamber. Usually about 14.7:1 ( air to fuel). Chemically, this ratio is called the stoichiometric ratio, and varies. Altitiude, air density, temperature, humidity, etc change the ratios slightly, but the ratio is usually pretty close to the 14.7:1 at sea level.

Increasing the displacement of the engine, increases the amount of fuel and air neccessary to meet the ratio. Changing the airflow of the engine also affects this. So anytime we change a carb, exhaust, or anything related to these two systems, the carb has to be rejetted/reset accordingly. Aircleaner mods ,and exhaust stack are included in this.


Ok, so that being said. these little engines are generally set to run pretty rich anyway. A rich mixture eats gas, but the extra fuel helps cool the engine. Its hard to kill a motor by running it rich, but if you lean it out too much, you get burnt valves, broken rings, and holed pistons. Increasing airflow leans out a mixture, so running stacks and free flowing airfilters will cause issue if its not corrected.


Right, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Average fuel tank capacity/run time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average fuel tank capacity/run time   Average fuel tank capacity/run time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Average fuel tank capacity/run time
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: General Engine Tech-
Jump to: