All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Exhaust/Stack Ideas

Go down 
+19
Thecrazyoldcraftman
Doug
Junkstarbuilds
Ariens YT11
boggo
Tractor Man Jeff
CornishMorgan
TheRainbowBoxer
gearheadmike
W1ldyOvvnZ
Craftsman Dude
Chopperhed
TennesseeCowboy
Bigal
CityRedneck
AcreFarm
canadianromper
dangeroustoys56
Crazymudder
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
AcreFarm

lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 10:02 am

I should have said farm tractor mufflers. These are both straight thru, but you can get them with a center baffle

lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Th_020_zpsa7512dee lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Th_019_zps83cff3ee
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 11:21 am

Burning a valve? How does this happen?? And thanks for the pics! Makes sense

and btw here's a drawing of what i have so far. I've run a 5 1/2 '' long piece of pipe out of the engine, into an elbow, and I have the same size pipe to run out of the elbow. I just don't know if I want the whole stack to be the same diameter or have it go into a smaller size halfway up from about the red circle in the drawing. What do yall think?

lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Ghj10
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 1:13 pm

I used a tubular lawn mower muffler that can be found at many hardware stores. IT has a 3/4" pipe threads on only one end. I just welded another 3/4" coupling to the other end so I could integrate it into the exhaust system.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: did you se my video?   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 2:35 pm

Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
I used a tubular lawn mower muffler that can be found at many hardware stores. IT has a 3/4" pipe threads on only one end. I just welded another 3/4" coupling to the other end so I could integrate it into the exhaust system.

Do you ever watch my videos? I did the same thing..here is the link
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 3:02 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Burning a valve? How does this happen?? And thanks for the pics! Makes sense

and btw here's a drawing of what i have so far. I've run a 5 1/2 '' long piece of pipe out of the engine, into an elbow, and I have the same size pipe to run out of the elbow. I just don't know if I want the whole stack to be the same diameter or have it go into a smaller size halfway up from about the red circle in the drawing. What do yall think?

lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Ghj10

I probably missed it but how big is the inside bore of the pipe? If its not too big I wouldnt reduce the size, it would just look silly unless you were to adapt it right at your elbow.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 10:15 pm

Pretty sure the inside of it is 1''. Tractormanjeff and Junkstarbuilds: how much do these lawn tractor mufflers cost?
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Bought mine at lowes   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 10:28 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Pretty sure the inside of it is 1''. Tractormanjeff and Junkstarbuilds: how much do these lawn tractor mufflers cost?
I bought the two in my video at lowes for just under 6$ each
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 11:29 pm

I'm looking on how to make side pipes (not the topick of this thread) do you guys have a photo of a good setup?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 11:32 pm

Ariens YT11 wrote:
I'm looking on how to make side pipes (not the topick of this thread) do you guys have a photo of a good setup?

Kinda like the one I have in my avatar, or the kind that Junkstar has on his?

Mines just a 90* bend off the existing muffler, just welded onto the body of it. Then its just a sidepipe I found that I welded a washer to and bolted to the running board. The angle was a bit messed up cause I broke my tack welds on the bench when I was finalizing my welds, but its real simple.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 11:40 pm

Ariens YT11 wrote:

We used 3/4" electrical conduit. We had access to a pile of it and a bender, so we made custom pipes for each machine.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 11:43 pm

Like the one in your avatar Doug, but my muffler is on the left side but I want it to exit in the right side plus my muffler is junk it is a flash suppresser type of muffler I have a pic in another tread, now I have some money to make one but I've heard galvanized sewer pipe lets of harmfull fumes when hot, and the sewer pipe is cheaper where I live so that might be my only way to do it, FYI I live 20 min east of Everett, WA
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 11:49 pm

Ariens YT11 wrote:
Like the one in your avatar Doug, but my muffler is on the left side but I want it to exit in the right side plus my muffler is junk it is a flash suppresser type of muffler I have a pic in another tread, now I have some money to make one but I've heard galvanized sewer pipe lets of harmfull fumes when hot, and the sewer pipe is cheaper where I live so that might be my only way to do it, FYI I live 20 min east of Everett, WA

To make it go out on the right, youll probably have to add a few more 90* fittings to get it to pass back and under the body, but be careful to keep a reasonable distance from your belts and electrical stuff. Crossing over can be pretty complicated if you dont do it right cause if you do it wrong you can cause some serious issues.

As for galvanized pipe I think its the coating itsself that is the issue, itll haet up and burn off since galvanized sewer pipe really isnt made for hot applications. I know most hardware stores like Ace and Tractor Supply sell metal tubing that isnt finished or has a black finish. Youll have to get it bent/ vut/ threaded there if you dont have the proper tools yourself.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 12:09 am

This isn't much but here is a pic of my mower,lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Photo-13
luckely there is only two wires going to the back of the mower for the tail light so all the wires are at the front of the tractor under the hood I will try to get a photo of the under side of the mower tomarrow when there is light outside.

This is a older photo
lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 190012_4436651719120_1471152411_n
That is me loking at my belts one of them started to slip, plus you can get a better idea of what I need to do for some sidepipes right off the muffler. I will get some photos like I said so that might help
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 12:46 am

Probably be easier just to run it off the left. Less fab work.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 9:06 am

Junkstarbuilds wrote:
Tractor Man Jeff wrote:

Do you ever watch my videos? I did the same thing..here is the link
Yep. Those are it. I got mine at car quest. Paid $5 for one. Slick exhaust man. How did you get it to fit with the hood?
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: They fit perfectly   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 9:24 am

[quote="Tractor Man Jeff"][quote="Junkstarbuilds"]
Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
How did you get it to fit with the hood?
They fit great, I have other videos showing it running and with the hood down. They are custom as custom can get. And I can modify them to run open pipes too
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 10:48 pm

Doug Fackler I ran across your Youtube today and you earned a sub. Smile
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 11:02 pm

Ariens YT11 wrote:
Doug Fackler I ran across your Youtube today and you earned a sub. Smile

Awesome! I appreciate it!

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2012, 12:08 am

Ariens YT11 wrote:

I actually had to research galvanized steel being burned for something, and no, its not harmful. You should be fine using it.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Occupational-OSHA-Environmental-1417/2010/6/galvanized-metal.htm

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2012, 12:23 am

Thanks. Smile I was trying to debate bying a camcorder or doing the exoust on my tractor what do you guys think I should do?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2012, 7:40 am

Take a look here

http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/weldhlth.html

I don't know any pro welders that like to weld on galvinized. In fact several of the shops we deal with refuse to weld on it.

I've done it dozens of times and I've never gotten sick but 1've always had fans going to ventilate the area.

If you do breathe the fumes, drink lots of milk. The pros say it helps.

Personally, I'd go for the camcorder, exhaust pipes can be made out of old scrap, Camcorders, not so much
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2012, 7:54 am

Galvinization is a coating on steel, its supposed to resist corrosion - if it is ground off it might be a bit safer, respirators should be used reguardless - id stick with black steel pipe, it isnt that much more to buy.

I had some galvanized fenceposts that i planned on welding up an exhaust on a couple mod tractors - more i thought about it, itd be easier to either have a shop custom make a setup or get some exhaust tubing - i ended up selling them in a yard sale. Best thing about a shop is it can be made in one piece, custom bends made with mandrel benders ( smooth flowing).

Video cams are getting cheeper now - my first one i bot at Target for like $50 - that was quite a few years ago - best thing i liked about it was it had a SD card slot plus internal memory. Its been super easy to use, it still works, altho if it records loud noises its pretty distorted. Its so small, it can fit easily in my pants pocket.

Keep an eye out for ads on digital video cams - ive seen em as cheep as $20.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2012, 12:07 pm

Thanks for clearing the my questions about galvanized pipe. Smile

This is what I'm looking at http://www.target.com/p/sony-handycam-flash-memory-digital-camcorder-dcrsx45-b-with-60x-optical-zoom-black/-/A-13416595

or the JVC model Fearless has.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2013, 9:21 pm

I finally got my exhaust setup and i love it! It sounds great.

lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Imag0018

lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Imag0019

lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Imag0020
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2013, 9:29 pm

Nice job there. I've never seen your tractor before. Those are some hoss rear wheels. One hot build there my man. Twisted Evil I like that stack job. Very clean. Good thinkin on adding some kind of brace for it.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2013, 9:44 pm

Thanks buddy, all i need now is some better front tires haha. I had to do some welding to the elbow at the top because the pipe wasn't threaded. Everything fell into place though (I don't say that too often haha Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   lawn - Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust/Stack Ideas
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next