All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?

Go down 
+5
MurrayMayhem
dangeroustoys56
Doug
W1ldyOvvnZ
airbag
9 posters
AuthorMessage
airbag
airbag

tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Empty
PostSubject: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm

hey ive trying to figure out how everybody does it so can someone tell me how you guys modified your front ends to handle bigger tyres
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2013, 12:56 pm

This is what some people do, also some lawn tractors already have long though spindles and they dont need any mods at all(i know older mid 80's MTD LawnFlites and late 90's Toro WheelHorses dont need any mods to fit the rear tires on them, i used the rear tires from a Noma 12hp tractor for the front tires because the spindle isnt as wide as most tractors rims).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRrOd8vz34
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
airbag
airbag

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

ok thanks but im running a craftsman lt4000 and thats got the long spindles in the back
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

The back is an Axle Shaft, which are the rods that hold the tires on the back. The spindles are the ones in the front that make you turn, Anyways, I believe FearlessFront has a tutorial on YouTube on how to convert your front spindles to accept your rear tires.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013, 11:32 am

Depends what tire/rim youre using up front and if you have acess to a welder. Or you could search around and buy a set of front spindles with a longer end for a basic swap, BUT depends on how easily itd fit into the front axle.

Typically using a welder a simple bolt can be welded on the end of the spindle, so the wheel wont fall off.

Most people just use rear rims/tires on the front - itll work, but there might be some clearance issues with the hood/footrests. A better option is to use a bering hub with a bolt on wheel ( like a golf kart) for less rolling resistance and easier servicability.

Back to top Go down
MurrayMayhem
MurrayMayhem

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

Most people get a simple bolt lik a 9/16 bolt and cut the head of the bolt off and weld it centered onto the end of the spindle, by doing this the tire now fits on, and what you do next is put a nut on the bolt screw t on hand-tight as hard as you can so the wheel still spends but it isn't immoblie. Then get another bolt on there and tighten it with a ratchet while holding the oher bolt with a wrench and tightening them together creating a locker so the tire won't fall off.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 3:56 am

This sounds quite easy , but how do you deal with the nearside arm which has a lever on it that the steering is connected too.

Like this:
tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Dscn3515
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 9:17 am

Extending the spindle is the perfered way of most. Then placing tires from the rear on the front spindle and tighten a couple nuts down on it. But. I perfer to find some front GT wheels witch are are 8" tall 6" wide and use the same front bushins as a standered LT 6" wheel. No need to extened the spindle. As far as the steering arm. You would probly have to rase them up ou change the whole system over to something else. Thats where most the customizing will come in place. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 11:43 am

Thanks CornShuck , I was hoping to see some front set ups to see how its been achieved.

Am looking to put these on front

tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Dscn3516

Thanks for looking
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 6:40 pm

I went completely off the reservation, welding 4-on-4 Posi-Lube utility trailer spindles on...
tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Spindl10
Back to top Go down
slim67

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 7:56 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
I went completely off the reservation, welding 4-on-4 Posi-Lube utility trailer spindles on...
tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Spindl10

I used golf cart hubs on my stock spindles and 2 inch billet spacers to widen my front out. im not running huge tires though,just 4.80-8 snowblower tires.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Aug 2014, 9:13 am

Dear Doc ,

Thank you for sharing.

I note your steering arm goes in rather than out . Does this not reverse the steering. I was unsure whether i could do this and if I can would solve my problem.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug 2014, 3:29 am

Doc I bought a Countax front steering bar from a countax as it had bearings in steering arms and slim 3/4 in stud axels with a nice nut on them I bought some countax X adapters and have found 3/4 to inch needle bearings to convert. I dont have it all together yet as when i bought X adapters they were one nut short Grr trying to get this sorted as was ebay purchase. I also bought a cheep ATV front end but am worried it will not be as strong as the existing setup. I havent got wheels on other as was doing this to get me through rest of summer . I need to check and make an adapter to clear steering arm longer am not sure how big until the tyres go on.

tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Dscn3810
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?   tires - How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you modify front end to handle bigger tires?
Page 1 of 1