All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

trans axle to solid axle questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
genegillis5

axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Empty
PostSubject: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 10:30 pm

when making a monster mower, using a straight solid axle and leaving the transaxle in the original place, do you use only one chain from the trans to axle or do you have sprockets on both sides? Do you lock the rear trans or do you leave it alone. Or do you bolt one side solid and let the other power your axle. Just want to know what is best and how. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 10:35 pm

genegillis5 wrote:
when making a monster mower, using a straight solid axle and leaving the transaxle in the original place, do you use only one chain from the trans to axle or do you have sprockets on both sides? Do you lock the rear trans or do you leave it alone. Or do you bolt one side solid and let the other power your axle. Just want to know what is best and how. Thanks guys.

If you have a transaxle its hard to make a lifted mower like how you are describing. Most lifted mowers use a Foote? transmission with a sprocket on it. If you dont understand what I am saying check out FearlessFronts lifted mud mower videos, he is using what I am taking about.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
genegillis5

PostSubject: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 10:43 pm

Ok, thanks I'll look. I didn't know that.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 10:59 pm

You could use a transaxle for a lifted mower by spacing the transaxle off the body (say like a 6" lift), extending the input shaft on the transaxle that 6" by using a handmade extension, and using a greasable pillow block bearing to support it.

Using a sprocket and live axle is the easiest and cleanest out of your available options since you dont need to modify all of your linkages.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 6:54 pm

i think hes talking about putting a lift block under the transaxle, then some bearings, an axle in those bearings with hubs, brakes, etc. and a chain from the transaxle axles down to the new axles and cut the ends of the transaxles axles off.
if thats what your talking about id say run 2 chains because it wont wear out the left/right side of the transaxle more then the other side plus its probably better on it too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 6:56 pm

axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Untitled-2
This is what im actually talking about
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 7:18 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
i think hes talking about putting a lift block under the transaxle, then some bearings, an axle in those bearings with hubs, brakes, etc. and a chain from the transaxle axles down to the new axles and cut the ends of the transaxles axles off.
if thats what your talking about id say run 2 chains because it wont wear out the left/right side of the transaxle more then the other side plus its probably better on it too.

I know what he was talking about. I just think finding a trnasmission that is preset to do it might be easier since you may run into clearance issues using a transaxle.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
genegillis5

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 7:35 pm

Yea! that illustration is what I was talking about. I just thought thats how it was done. I was under the impression that a foote trans was only a brand name like peerles. Now I know. If it could be done as we were talking about , one could use a smaller sprocket on the ends of the trans axle and one a little larger on the axle below it and relieve some strain off the transaxle. The brakes would also be easy to hook up. If two chains were used would you need to lock the rear transaxle? Wonder if this has been done by anyone on the forum?
Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 8:25 pm

genegillis5 wrote:
Yea! that illustration is what I was talking about. I just thought thats how it was done. I was under the impression that a foote trans was only a brand name like peerles. Now I know. If it could be done as we were talking about , one could use a smaller sprocket on the ends of the trans axle and one a little larger on the axle below it and relieve some strain off the transaxle. The brakes would also be easy to hook up. If two chains were used would you need to lock the rear transaxle? Wonder if this has been done by anyone on the forum?
Thanks guys!

The only problem with doing it like that is you would have the extra axle sticking out after your sprockets, not to mention the sprockets would be anywhere between 2-5" off from the sides of the body sides and exposed. And because of that your rear axle bar would need to be longer and the rear end would be wider. Im not bashing it, it can be done, but you might have some cosmetic issues.

You would more than likely need to lock it if you are running one solid rear bar. Youre going from something with a differential to something without one.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 2:28 pm

You can do it the way your saying you want to.

axle - trans axle to solid axle questions 2500735483_02a061ff9b_z
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 2:35 pm

There's a lot of ways to lift your mower. maybe this forum can help Smile

http://www.xtrememowermayhem.com/apps/photos/
Back to top Go down
genegillis5

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 9:21 pm

Thanks, yes thats it! would any one know if it was necessary to lock the transaxle , using the 2 sprockets . But ya know bolting the transaxle low and running the shaft thru the bearings does look easier to build< but you still have the brakes to worry about. I am going to build one, just trying to do it the best way. I hate to see the transaxle pop soon as I want to ride it.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 11:19 pm

genegillis5 wrote:
Thanks, yes thats it! would any one know if it was necessary to lock the transaxle , using the 2 sprockets . But ya know bolting the transaxle low and running the shaft thru the bearings does look easier to build< but you still have the brakes to worry about. I am going to build one, just trying to do it the best way. I hate to see the transaxle pop soon as I want to ride it.

you dont need to lock the rear end because the second axle acts as a locker. if you were going to do brakes on what Doug is talking about you can setup brakes on the input shaft extension peice, it would do the same but you would wear the brakes/belt out real quick if you dont push the clutch in first.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 11:19 pm

matthew sidor wrote:
You can do it the way your saying you want to.

axle - trans axle to solid axle questions 2500735483_02a061ff9b_z

i was looking for that, i knew you posted it somewhere on the forum before:P
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2013, 12:10 am

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
genegillis5 wrote:

you dont need to lock the rear end because the second axle acts as a locker. if you were going to do brakes on what Doug is talking about you can setup brakes on the input shaft extension peice, it would do the same but you would wear the brakes/belt out real quick if you dont push the clutch in first.

If you do it like the above picture you can leave one axle longer and use a go-kart rotor system hooked up to an independent pedal. Or you could put it on the live shaft, either way it doesnt need to be on the input. Getting it on the live shaft would be easier with hydraulic brakes, the transaxle with mechanical.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
genegillis5

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2013, 9:48 am

Thanks guys, I guess having everyones thoughts combined in one place is what makes the forum so great. Seeing all the different ways to do something and then useing that knowlededge combined with our own will save me a lot of mistakes. You guys and your thoughts are great. I purchased a craftsman today and will be starting me a build . I thank you all.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2013, 11:34 am

Be sure to post up pics!

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trans axle to solid axle questions   axle - trans axle to solid axle questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trans axle to solid axle questions
Page 1 of 1