All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!

Go down 
+29
crazykid1994
k2500life
numbnutz
muddstir
Ddwannabe
mudmonkey06
redlinemotorsportts
Kel
WellThatsSurprising
SkiLLz
redneck999
genegillis5
xxXMowerdudeXxx
dylansrockinrigs
Chopperhed
gearheadmike
Thunderdivine
Murray modder
richie thomas
TheRainbowBoxer
Tractor Man Jeff
matthew sidor
truckin42
avrappy
Stretch44875
THE MTD GUY
Doug
W1ldyOvvnZ
fireman
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
fireman

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Empty
PostSubject: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 2:46 pm

Hey All,
I've been checking this site out for a while. I normally restore 50's and 60's garden tractors for my kids and I to show and drive at shows and parades. I saw a lifted tractor at a show last year and I was hooked. I knew I wanted to build one but wanted to do my research first before I jumped right into it. I decided on a Craftsman to lift. Found this one a few niles from home. It was owned by and old guy who had a little 1/8 acre lot and washed it after every use and stored it in his garage. The tractor is mint and has no rust or corrosion. The original black frame paint is perfect. I set off to find out how most guys lifted them. I found anywhere from mild to wild. I didn't want to put a ton of money into this so I decided to just go for the easiest but tough set up. The attached pictures show my progression so far. I am using a set of 12 inch 5 lug aluminum rims for the finished setup. I plan on running 23x8.50-12. I have a used set I am using for the mock up and will decide for sure when the lift is finished before I buy the final set. I am going to machine my own set of hubs for the rear. The front end will use trailer spindles bored out and welded over the the existing ones with trailer hubs added.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! 101_1202_zpscc0b5021

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! 101_1203_zpsc3b37600

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0038_zpsb3b33272

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0039_zpsf3295d0b

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0041_zps57cee5ba

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0043_zps2010b6da

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0047_zpsa4858897

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0048_zps47075acb

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0050_zps6497e55d

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0051_zps279f2de7

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Rims_zps4f98f479
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 2:56 pm

looks cool, are you using new tires all the way around?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 3:14 pm

Near mint for sure, looks like it just rolled out of the showroom!

Be sure to use some diagonal supports for your rear lift, I would hate to see your extension get bent backwards.

Keep us updated though, shes looking great already! Nice lift by the way, I need one of those.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 4:05 pm

I ran out of 1" square tubing to do the diagonal bracing (Tractor Supply only had one 4' piece in stock.). Hopefully Home Depot will have some when I stop there tonight. I do plan on getting new tires all the way around for it. The lift is a must have in the shop. Saves on the back. I found this one on Craig's List last year. I totally stripped, primed, and painted it. Works with an electric winch. Ramps are adjustable to compensate for different width tractors. Paid $300 for it but I consider it priceless!

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! 101_1054

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! 101_1055

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! 101_1056
Back to top Go down
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 4:35 pm

[quote="fireman"]Hey All,
I've been checking this site out for a while. I normally restore 50's and 60's garden tractors for my kids and I to show and drive at shows and parades. I saw a lifted tractor at a show last year and I was hooked. I knew I wanted to build one but wanted to do my research first before I jumped right into it. I decided on a Craftsman to lift. Found this one a few niles from home. It was owned by and old guy who had a little 1/8 acre lot and washed it after every use and stored it in his garage. The tractor is mint and has no rust or corrosion. The original black frame paint is perfect. I set off to find out how most guys lifted them. I found anywhere from mild to wild. I didn't want to put a ton of money into this so I decided to just go for the easiest but tough set up. The attached pictures show my progression so far. I am using a set of 12 inch 5 lug aluminum rims for the finished setup. I plan on running 23x8.50-12. I have a used set I am using for the mock up and will decide for sure when the lift is finished before I buy the final set. I am going to machine my own set of hubs for the rear. The front end will use trailer spindles bored out and welded over the the existing ones with trailer hubs added.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! 101_1202_zpscc0b5021

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! 101_1203_zpsc3b37600

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0038_zpsb3b33272

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0039_zpsf3295d0b

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0041_zps57cee5ba

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0043_zps2010b6da

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0047_zpsa4858897

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0048_zps47075acb

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0050_zps6497e55d

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0051_zps279f2de7

what are u going to do when ur done? take her muddin or to shows. or both
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 4:55 pm

Looks pretty nice so far.

If I had to guess, this will be a show/drive for fun deal? Looking at the garage and other projects, I'd guess this is not a beat on it, get stuck in the mud build.
Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 5:25 pm

[url=http:www.flickr.com/photos/avrappy/ My Craftsman]My Craftsman[/url]

I have one with a 8hp. B&S in it.

Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 5:57 pm

Wow, only $300? Those are like $800 i think in Northern Tool. You got some lucky. I just drag my body across the concrete floor.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 6:16 pm

Strictly show and parade vehicle. I did all my romping and thrashing 25 years ago. All my tractors stay in my heated workshop.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 6:30 pm

It looks good.
I like how you did the lift
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2013, 2:42 pm

So after spending a few hours this morning in the shop I got the rear lift done. I put the mock up tires on and got the front end up on jack stands. Next I'll pull the front end apart and start laying out the lift for that. I think I may scrap the factory front axle and spindles and just make my own.

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0053_zps4a86df28

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0054_zpsd3a9d41d

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0056_zps9a92a973

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0057_zps5262cf8e

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0060_zps4a8bf91f
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 1:31 pm

You got a dang good start cant wait too see more of this build. Im actually going to fix my driveshaft on my lifted craftsman in a couple hours so i can go on a ride today
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 2:04 pm

OOH, you put a diesel in that older tractor?? Shocked That's to cool. I imagine its got some torque. And nice start. I can't wait to see the bigger wheels on it.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 3:22 pm

So today was a marathon down in the shop. Started at 8:30 this morning and just came up for air at 3:00pm. I got the front end lift figured out, fabricated and tacked into place. Decided to use the existing set up. Cut the welds attaching it to the frame then cleaned it all up with a grinder in preparation to lower it. still have to add some lateral support to stiffen it up. The front and rear axles are now sitting at the same height off of the ground which is what I needed to run the same size tires all around. Probably going to add two small go-cart shocks to slow down the rocking motion up front.

PS: and yes I put a real Yanmar L70 into that little Wheel Horse Tractor. Gave it a foot throttle to. If you want to see a thread about the build check it out here, there's some videos too:

My Diesel Lawn Ranger Tractor

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0061_zps5aaaee2d

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0062_zpse7fea530

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0063_zps0c57f5dc
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 3:55 pm

Very nice fab work sir!

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:00 pm

Yes very nice work. I love that diesel project. Nice job. Funny we have the same names. Laughing What I wouldn't give to have a diesel in my tractor.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 6:02 pm

Ok I told myself that I wasn't going back in the shop today but I was just so motivated that I went back down. Got the lateral supports done. I used some of the stock brackets. The belt tension assembly was blocking me from mounting the tubing to the inside of the frame rail on one side so I just used the oem brackets. They actually worked out perfect.

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0064_zps6a151357

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0065_zps44bb90c7

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0066_zps535f01b1
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 6:32 pm

Wow, this is looking great. Youre too good at this lol.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 8:42 pm

I didn't work on this project for the last two days. Had Boy Scout stuff to do for one of the boys all day yesterday and spent the day at a friends house helping him with his enclosed trailer today. Got home from my friends and had to do some painting that was on my chore list. Afterwards went into the shop to wash out the paint tray and brush and was staring at this on the lift. I wanted to see if my measurements actually worked out and if it would sit level when the front tires were on. Jacked up the rear on one side and removed the tire. Then leveled it out in the rear. Slid the tire on the front spindle. It went on tight against the ramp so it's were it is supposed to be. Man when I stepped back it looked perfectly level. Can't believe all the numbers worked out. Now I'm going to being working like mad so I can get this at least road worthy so I can get it outside and take it for a spin!!!

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0073_zpsfd4f6833

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! DSCN0074_zps3b6b5945
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 11:05 pm

Once youre done that one you gotta make one for mud.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 11:23 pm

Only problem is we got no mud around here!
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 11:30 pm

Hey is the bottom pulley level with the transaxle pulley? That would be cool if it did.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 1:16 am

this is just me looing and guessing, but it looks like you have about 25 to 27 inches from the floor to the foot board, lol this is a really clean build man good job, im getting started on mine soon i hope, i have almost everything i need to build it
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 7:47 am

The bottom pulley was for the deck belt. It is larger than the drive pulley which you can't see.

Actually I had layed this out so that the bottom edge of the frame, which is level with the bottom of the foot boards is 24" off the ground with 23X9.50-12 tires and that's what it turned out to be. Now that I see the stance of the tractor, I'm thinking about going with a little bigger diameter tire.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 7:56 am

Yeah mine had the same thing. I'm saying is if the bottom pulley was level with the trans pulley than you wouldn't have to do a extended shaft at the rear. Plus get a more speed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next