All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Empty
PostSubject: Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems   Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 12:55 pm

my dad has this 5hp tiller. use to run great. he stopped using it cause he got a rear tine tiller. last week he cleaned the points and it wouldnt start. it had spark, but no gas. so he cleaned the carb and put a new diaphram in the carb. she started right up, but when we went out to till, when it leans to on side, it cuts out and acts like shes starvin fr gas. the pipe that goes in the take was cracked, so we put a knew 1 in. but it does the same thing. it only does this when the engine is not level. any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems   Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:01 pm

check the float level
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems   Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:05 pm

Mine does a similar thing which has me stumped. It will be running great until it gets really bouncing around. Then it will start reving up and down with no power. The only way to stop it is to pull the choke almost completely out. Adjusting the carb did nothing. Once I clean the carb, i'll see what it does then. Does it stop when it's level again?
Back to top Go down
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems   Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 9:10 pm

Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
Mine does a similar thing which has me stumped. It will be running great until it gets really bouncing around. Then it will start reving up and down with no power. The only way to stop it is to pull the choke almost completely out. Adjusting the carb did nothing. Once I clean the carb, i'll see what it does then. Does it stop when it's level again?
sometimes it will stop, but sometimes it dies.
Back to top Go down
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems   Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 9:12 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
check the float level
its a vacu jet carb
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems   Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 10:44 pm

THE MTD GUY wrote:
Chopperhed wrote:
check the float level
its a vacu jet carb

I need info, Vacu jet is a term I haven't heard. Any kind of a diagram or part number, and I can figure it out.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems   Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs and Stratton 5hp problems
Page 1 of 1