All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?

Go down 
+7
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Kel
mudmonkey06
truckin42
Doug
TheRainbowBoxer
redlinemotorsportts
11 posters
AuthorMessage
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Empty
PostSubject: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 8:19 pm

So I was thinking, can you have 2" of travel on the rear of a regular mower that has a belt from back to front? It would be 1" of compression and 1" of droop? just for the riders sake, and do all this and not have the belt pop off? I think if you make square box's around where the belt leves the clutch and square box's where the belt enters the rear pulley, I think it wouldn't pop off. The box's you make it so no matter how much the transaxle is moving up and down the belt still enters the rear pulley level (like normal) and leaves the clutch pulley level. And the rear swing arm would be set up that of a quad. Sorry if this gives you a headache haha.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 8:25 pm

If I understand what you are saying, I think that would wear out the belt pretty fast. Maybe if you put some kind of rollers for the belt to rest against when it's articulated.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 8:29 pm

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
If I understand what you are saying, I think that would wear out the belt pretty fast. Maybe if you put some kind of rollers for the belt to rest against when it's articulated.
Yea I was thinking those box's would a have top and bottom rollers so the belt enters the pulleys level. And the rear axle would be just going up and down, not like the front of a mower where one wheel goes up and the other down when it flex's.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 8:31 pm

If you had a transaxle with a horizontal input, it can be done. I wouldnt do it with a vertical input, your belt would pop off all the time, and with guides (even rollers) you run the risk of wearing your belt out or twisting it.

If you want a softer ride, seat springs and lower pressure tires will do the trick.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 8:35 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
If you had a transaxle with a horizontal input, it can be done. I wouldnt do it with a vertical input, your belt would pop off all the time, and with guides (even rollers) you run the risk of wearing your belt out or twisting it.

If you want a softer ride, seat springs and lower pressure tires will do the trick.
I see where you're coming from. I guess im a little to complicated but at least im thinking! we'll always have to deal with it I guess!
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 11:19 pm

Im sure a suspension could be made for the rear but in not sure on how you can keep the belt for ether breaking or twisting.
Iv been trying to think of a way to do a rear suspension myself.
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 11:22 pm

truckin42 wrote:
Im sure a suspension could be made for the rear but in not sure on how you can keep the belt for ether breaking or twisting.
Iv been trying to think of a way to do a rear suspension myself.
the only way i can think of doing this is with a horizantal engine shaft . then you could set it up like a four wheeler rear suspension.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 11:29 pm

Yeah a horizantal engine is probably the easest way to do a rear suspension.
There might be other ways to do a rear suspension but i dont know of any.
Back to top Go down
Kel
Kel

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 11:43 pm

For rear suspension.

You'd need to fabricate a two tier set-up. #1...Make a stationary rear pulley set-up, 4 inches above the stock height. The center of the pulley, install an X hub for an X type shaft.

These are found in many Dana/Spicer steering shafts. This will allow the pulley to turn and drive the rear tranny as the tranny moves up and down. The pulley braket and belt will

be stationary. (Get the picture?)

#2....build a bracket with guide bolts on each side of the tranny. 6-inches travel would be good. You can install a spring to absorb shock. on top of the guide bolts or rods.

As the tranny moves upward, all guide rods and the X rod for the pulley will move up..or move down. This allows you to have rear suspension.

Kel

Last edited by Kel on March 20th 2013, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.xtrememowermayhem.com
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 12:37 am

Kel wrote:
For rear suspension.

You'd need to fabricate a two tier set-up. #1...Make a stationary rear pulley set-up, 4 inches above the stock height. The center of the pulley, install an X hub for an X type shaft.

These are found in many Dana/Spicer steering shafts. This will allow the pulley to turn and drive the rear tranny as the tranny moves up and down. The pulley braket and belt will

#2....build a bracket with guide bolts on each side of the tranny. 6-inches travel would be good. You can install a spring to absorb shock. on top of the guild bolts or rods.

As the tranny moves upward, all guide rods and the X rod for the pulley will move up..or move down. This allows you to have rear suspension.

Kel

that made it easy, lol
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 12:38 am

Kel wrote:
For rear suspension.

#2....build a bracket with guide bolts on each side of the tranny. 6-inches travel would be good. You can install a spring to absorb shock. on top of the guild bolts or rods.

Kel

This could work.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 12:40 am

dude it will work, he has more experience then most of us put together lol
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 12:45 am

Yes it will work.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 12:47 am

truckin42 wrote:
Yes it will work.

lol
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 1:13 am

Abosulutely will work with the correct engineering.

Splined shaft would be better than keyed, but work with what you have
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 1:14 am

Or you could make a live axle that is powered by chains running from the transaxle's shafts. We are planning something similar with the Traxxor, but not for suspension.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 1:18 am

its a cool idea. but for most cases unrealistic

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 7:44 pm

How much throw?
Back to top Go down
Kel
Kel

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 10:47 pm

Yes, it will work and it has worked.
I built two mowers using this set up for a father and son for the Northwoods.

To secure the pulley so it is stable, there are two pillow block bearings, above and below the rear pulley. This help keep it stable as the X shafting moves up and down during riding, of
course the pillow blocks are secure to a cradle and then to the body of the mower. I used Valve Springs off a Small Block Chevy for the suspension to prevent the tranny from
bottoming out.

Kel
Back to top Go down
http://www.xtrememowermayhem.com
Damurrski
Damurrski

PostSubject: Ive tried   rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2015, 11:37 am

Me and a buddy tried a rear suspention on his mower and he has his idea and it works for him, but he spent ALOT OF TIME AND MONEY ON THIS. we build a swing arm and pitched the brackets at a 30°. The pully was out of line. We used 2 shocks on either side of the trans hon the rear similar to the simplicity. When he sat on the mower and the suspention compressed the pulleys were in line. With the amount of travel on the suspention if the suspention compressed fully to the bumpstops is was pitched at -30° witch was slightly out of line with the engine pully. End result was major belt slippage when going over bumps. Trans Adel is ment to be stationery
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2015, 12:21 am

I had an idea that I'm playing with in my head for a while now for rear suspension with a live axle and independent front suspension to where you can engage and disengage both front wheels when turning with a vertical shaft or horizontal motor. Horizontal motor would be easier though. And the rear live axle would be with a 4 link instead of a ladder bar setup.

It would involve having a transfer case like mid shaft under a 700 gearbox for vertical shaft motor. The framing for the mid shaft under the 700 gearbox would be the attachment points for the rear suspension ran with a belt. The key on getting the rear axle to be able to twist would be on the mounting points of the top suspension bars. Triangulate to where the point comes together where the belt comes into the pulley on the mid shaft so the belt can twist and not be pulled side to side entering the pulley. If you think about it the belt will probable twist only about 10 degrees either way and the setup should deal with it ok. Tensioner pulley arm would be on bearings on the axle for the pivot point and pushing on the belt.

What do you guys think? Just an idea, LOL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?    rear - Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belted mower/transaxle and rear suspention? Is it possible?
Page 1 of 1