All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

AMF tractor build

Go down 
+2
Ropertractor14
Dynamarkpickup
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dynamarkpickup
Dynamarkpickup

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2010, 11:20 am

These are all the pics I have so far. This tractor is a lot bigger than my Arctic Cat. I've redone some of the paint. I'm only going to do a few touch-ups, no major painting schemes:cheers:

I'm having some trouble with the engine. I jump started the engine a few times before I checked the carb. When I did, water poured out of the bowl. I don't know how much of that water got into the engine but the spark plug was soaked. I have now cleaned the bowl and some of the carb of water but the engine doesn't catch. I think that there is spark cause the first time I started the engine, some fire came out the exhaust. Now, it's just water vapor that comes out. I tried putting some quick start in the cylinder and still nothing.Evil or Very Mad
When I checked the inside of the carburetor yesterday, there were water drops but not much more than that. Could this engine be hydrolocked?

I'm still a noob at engines so any help would be appreciated.
AMF tractor build P7131310AMF tractor build P7131311
AMF tractor build P7131312
AMF tractor build P7161310
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2010, 12:28 pm

Take the spark plug out and turn the motor over to get any water out of the cylinder... Have a look inside the gas tank too it probably has water in it. Also this engine probably has points, so they may be dirty or have water in them causing your spark to come and go.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2010, 5:25 pm

Id start fresh - drain the gas tank, new fuel lines, clean the carb , pull the spark plug ( i spray PB blaster in a water logged or motor that sat a long time- let it soak good- plus is the motor will fire on it)- turn the motor over a few times n see if anything comes out - pull the flywheel shroud n see if theres a wire going under the flywheel by the magnetic pickup- if it does, then you should pull the flywheel n double check for points ( id put a electronic ign on it after going thru all that).

Sometimes with 'new' tractors ill just dump gas in the carb, disconnect the motor's wiring harness and try firing it up- if it does, then itll be okay- with a tractor that old id be leary of wiring issues/corrosion, so its best to unhook it and see how well it runs.

Ive had a few water logged motors- after cleaning , they run perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2010, 7:06 pm

Yeah, sounds like a spark issue. Take out the plug and turn it over a few time, well shoot most of the water out. Then just let it air for a while.

Next, hold the spark plug against a ground on the motor, and turn it over, and see if there's any spark jumping the gap. (make sure the gap is alright and the plug is clean) But do NOT touch the plug when you turn it over, unless you want a little bit of a shock. Did that once, never again! Laughing If you;ve got no spark, the easiest and best option would be to find an electronic ignition unit and totally do away with the points. Just cut the wires that go under the flywheel and forget about them. Electronic is a much more reliable system! Good luck! Hope I didnt confuse you too much alien
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2010, 4:02 am

Chunk: You still would want to disconnect the kill wire from the magneto/pickup - if the switch/wiring is bad- itd be the same as having no spark- at least if its unhooked, you can rule out a ground issue.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2010, 4:47 am

Yeah, sorry. Forgot to mention that. Like dangerous toys said, disconnect the wiring too Cool
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2010, 5:29 pm

I learned my lesson after one tractor, tryed everything, took it apart, changed everything and still wouldnt start - then unhooked the magneto wire and it fired right up- talk about p'd....
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2010, 5:57 pm

It's learning from mistakes. Thats the best way to learn a skill.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2010, 8:36 am

I still havent learned not to injure myself when working on these things tho- Laughing ill be working away and look over and be like " damn- where' d that cut come from? " - so i grab a bandage or electrical tape , wrap it up and keep tinkering. A good tip is to have a first aid kit in the shop, along with neosporin.

Oddly im still leaning about stuff even after 15 years of tinkering - hey y can teach an old dog new tricks.
Back to top Go down
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2010, 11:53 am

make sure you flush the oil a couple times
Back to top Go down
Dynamarkpickup
Dynamarkpickup

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2010, 10:22 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help, I greatly appreciate it, don't know what I would do without this fourm!! Razz

Here's the story so far.

I got the jumper cables out after disconnecting all the wires to the engine. Turned the engine over a couple of times but nothing. I tested the spark plug in the other tractor, ran mint. Since the cylinder was getting gas it seemed, it looked like it could be a spark issue. When Arild came over to see what was wrong, we discovered the flywheel keyway was split. Gonna get that replaced very soon after a bit of filing. Hopefully she'll run mint again. bounce

thanks again for all your help everyone cheers
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2010, 5:10 am

That is, if you can get the flywheel off! That's what's stopping me getting my little 6hp horizontal shaft Briggs going, sheared flywheel key, and the thing won't budge!
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2010, 6:47 am

That thing is so cool.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 10:19 pm

buy a puller
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2010, 6:10 am

You can use a steering wheel puller - i bot a cheep one at a flea market and works fine.
Back to top Go down
Dynamarkpickup
Dynamarkpickup

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2010, 8:53 pm

Hey guys,

little update on the AMF. I got a new keyway for the flywheel and I got it in the tractor. Then I jump started the engine with some quick start and she fired right up. Did it twice and then for the third time, nothing. So I checked the key way and sure enough, it was snapped in two again. Evil or Very Mad

Does anyone know why this would happen and how I could avoid it next time?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2010, 6:38 am

I bot a 'looked over' motor from a lawntractor junkyard, paid more then id like to of for it, get it home and it snapped the flywheel key- i change it, it does it again- i take it back - they said the combustion chamber filled with oil and snapped the key- i know better because i checked for that before i started it ( and it would turn over fine with the plug out) - it still runs now , but im thinking the timing was off or something wasnt put back together right in it- it might be time to crack the motor open and look inside.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2010, 3:32 pm

Yeah could be oil or water in the cylinder, maybe creating more compression than is safe, and so it kicks back before it should? I don;t know. Think dangerous toys have the soluation, might need to crack her open!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AMF tractor build Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMF tractor build   AMF tractor build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AMF tractor build
Page 1 of 1