All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murray Widebody

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Murray Widebody Empty
PostSubject: Murray Widebody   Murray Widebody Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2013, 10:50 pm

So in the past few months I've acquired a Jeep cherokee and an ATV, so that pretty much takes all the uses of my all-terrain mower. So I thought for awhile about what I could use all the parts I have on. Nothing strange and unique came to mind, other than a tracked tractor, so I settled on a race mower. I won't be going for legal since there's no racing around here. Just a mower looking gokart really.

Anyway, here's the parts available and a general plan. First, this is the AT mower I was messing around with.
Murray Widebody Pbucket

Parts:
- 17hp opposed twin (with in-op ex. valve, gotta fix)
- peerless 5-speed
- centrifugal belt clutch
- 1" gokart solid axle, hubs, etc.
- junk kawasaki bayou (might use front knuckles for brakes and bearings, maybe even slap the carb on the briggs twin)
- murray c-channel frame and body (actually I have 2 widebody bodies, narrow hood and the wider hood)

I've never really looked into the faster side of mowers, so I may not have what I need, and don't really want to put much money in to it. Not sure about tires, I have the stock 20's off the mower for the rear but see everyone going with shorter. For the front, no clue if I use the atv hubs, it runs a 9" wheel. I also have some murray deck spindles which I've read are good for cheap jackshafts in order to raise the transaxle. If I didn't mention, I want it as low and as stable as possible. I'm not interested in killing myself on this thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Murray Widebody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murray Widebody   Murray Widebody Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 2:42 pm

1:Are you gonna lock the transaxle
2:what size/kind of rear tires are you running
3:whats your plans for a throttle are you gonna do a foot or hand throttle

your mower is really clean and nice i hope you get that opposed twin on there and get some vids of it hitting some deep mud and trails
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Murray Widebody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murray Widebody   Murray Widebody Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 2:54 pm

More questions I don't know the answers too, haha.

1) The 5-speed is currently locked, but I have shafts/gears to make an open diff again. If I run the kart axle is doesn't matter since it's solid. Should I run the 1" kart axle or straight off the transaxle? The transaxle would be much easier and take up less space. Which is better, locked or open diff? If I wan the kart axle I's run it by chain off the 5-speed, which would reguire a longer wheelbase.

2) I'd like to save money and use what I have, namely the 20" turf tires on the front in that pic, actually 2 that match the tire on the left front. They're stock mower tires for an 8" rim, which would make bolting to the transaxle easier than running the kart axle.

3) I can do either for throttle. I had a bike brake cable/handle for a throttle on the offroad mower I could re-use.

That brings another string of thoughts up. Should I run a steering wheel or handlebars? I plan direct steering for safety, but handlebars might be easier for working the controls, maybe even use the atv thumb throttle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Murray Widebody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murray Widebody   Murray Widebody Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 2:59 pm

if i was you i would run direct steering setup with handle bars atv thumb throttle that would be a good off road setup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Murray Widebody Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murray Widebody   Murray Widebody Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray Widebody
Page 1 of 1