All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

speed rating for turf tires

Go down 
+3
Doc Sprocket
Doug
goesman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
goesman
goesman

tires - speed rating for turf tires Empty
PostSubject: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2013, 1:14 am

hey guys, the other day i was thinking to myself that i see builds on here getting faster and faster it seems.  That made me wonder just how much speed can turf tires handle.  They are intended for some thing that only tops out at maybe 10Mph.  The rear tires i can see possibly doing ok at moderate speeds but what about those little front tires.  Could any of them handle real high speeds say like 60-70+ Mph.  Personally i don't trust them.  Take for example my super sport mower, on paper it should be capable of 120-130.  I have plans of getting some rear tires that are for atv racing on asphalt that are made for high speeds. But i don't know what to do about the fronts, i cant find any thing in that size that can handle real high speeds.  Well to cut this short I personally don't want to end up in the hospital or see any else end up that way because a tire gave out going flat out.  Just how far can they be pushed with out getting to the point of failure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2013, 2:11 am

It's not so much burst speeds that get them, its sustained high speed. Give or take 40mph sustained for shorter periods, higher for quick bursts. That's what Ive always noticed...
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2013, 3:58 am

Leave them a bit lower so they have more expansion room if you are going to go fast. 1psi for every 10 degrees. They arent rated to go forever at that speed, but like you said finding something suitable or affordable will be tough.

Personally, I would be more worried about bushings going out if they havent been converted to sealed bearings.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2013, 8:36 am

If you're thinking to aim for 120-130MPH, You have much more to worry about than whether turfs are up to the task (which I would say NO)...
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2013, 6:02 am

Build your own steering do direct steer you can get a kit from bmi carts or another cart supplier you can also buy new spindles with the axle diameter of your choice if your going any faster than 40 you should definatly do something like this
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2013, 9:54 am

I don't think you should do direct steering for something capable of 130mph. Direct steering is generally abrupt and twitchy. Abrupt and twitchy at 130mph will almost certainly result in a crash. Tight steering and proper steering geometry are crucial though.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2013, 9:57 am

formula 1 steering!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2013, 12:14 pm

dylansrockinrigs wrote:
formula 1 steering!

Im not sure what that has to do with tire speed ratings, but ok.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
nathan wilson
nathan wilson

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2014, 5:06 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
If you're thinking to aim for 120-130MPH, You have much more to worry about than whether turfs are up to the task (which I would say NO)...
i was going to say the same. I'd be actually more worried about something more major going out, i.e. steering, tranny, etc. i understand thatyour making it to go fast, but these machines are only built to go 20 mph at the very max. unless your building yours like fearless front made his racer, time and money, and ground up, id be more worried than tires....but the tires being how that vehicle gets its power to the ground, id change the fronts and the rears. i would think racing go cart tires. they might handle more, and theyre closer to the size that you need.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2014, 6:51 pm

I think it is a question of ply a tire with a higher ply might withstand speed better than a tire with less ply though in all fairness pretty sure stretch's front tires are 2 ply and he was doing 50+ and they didnt come apart in a firey explosion of air pressure and inner tube same for his rear tires seeing as they are ags.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2014, 6:58 pm

He doesnt run that fast that often though. For a short period it would probably be fine, but after a while the tread probably would have started to separate.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: speed rating for turf tires   tires - speed rating for turf tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

speed rating for turf tires
Page 1 of 1