All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Question about shrouds...

Go down 
+4
crazykid1994
Doug
greener179
TheBeal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Question about shrouds... Empty
PostSubject: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 2:30 pm

So, I know shrouds and whatnot are recommended here, I was curious if there is actually a risk of engine damage running with ought one(ASIDE FROM SAFETY REASONS OF COURSE)? I know some are in such a way that it helps cool the engine, but at the speed most of us are going does it really matter?

Now, I do not plan on running any engine without the main shroud pieces on, however the 16hp Briggs opposed I have is missing one of the pieces that covered the head. Im really just wanting to know if it is really all that necessary to be on there. Atleast for now.

Thanks,
Beal.
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 2:53 pm

Im not sure on the main qestion but i run all my engines with just the main shroud and remove the head covers seems to make them run cooler imo
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 2:56 pm

You should be fine as long as you have the top blower housing. I keep all my shrouds on though. The fan on the flywheel helps draw and circulate the air around the engine.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 3:24 pm

i run mine with just the main shroud and all the heat sheilding removed. it gets better airflow in my opinion
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 6:44 pm

those head peices really do have a cooling factor they are there to keep the air going threw the head fins with out them air really isnt going over them heads if i was you i would try to find a replacement
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 8:17 pm

IMHO- There's a reason the engineers put them there. It's not random either- stuff is tested to death in the R&D process. These are NOT free-air engines like some air cooled motorcycles. These are fan-cooled. The shrouding is specifically designed to direct cooling air over the fins, which are much smaller than on a free-air engine. Much like a car- If you remove the radiator fan shroud, you WILL lose cooling efficiency. The very best thing to do is source a replacement shroud, and prior to installation, make sure all the cooling fins are clean and clear of debris.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 8:20 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
IMHO- There's a reason the engineers put them there. It's not random either- stuff is tested to death in the R&D process. These are NOT free-air engines like some air cooled motorcycles. These are fan-cooled. The shrouding is specifically designed to direct cooling air over the fins, which are much smaller than on a free-air engine. Much like a car- If you remove the radiator fan shroud, you WILL lose cooling efficiency. The very best thing to do is source a replacement shroud, and prior to installation, make sure all the cooling fins are clean and clear of debris.

Absolutely right. I try to avoid any shroud removal in any given situation unless I'm fashioning a new one of my own.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 10:45 pm

Alright, I will try to find one then.
If I had realized it was missing when we loaded it up from Ohio I would have looked for it... but by now its probably in a landfill or junkyard or ship headed to china... lost to oblivion.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 11:13 pm

Might be able to rig one up as well, just trying to follow the contour of the other one.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 7:43 am

It's also a good idea to regularly pull the shrouds and clean. I've found many engines packed full of grass, mud, and mouse nests. With how we run through mud, they get pretty dirty.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 5:38 pm

The opposed is running really hot aswell, so I would use them if available.

L-heads run hot I guess. Maybe the title should be more specific.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2013, 4:36 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
It's also a good idea to regularly pull the shrouds and clean.  I've found many engines packed full of grass, mud, and mouse nests.  With how we run through mud, they get pretty dirty.  

Indeed, I had taken the other one off and some of the fins were packed full of swill.
I thought about making one, but I dont think it would look all that good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about shrouds...   Question about shrouds... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about shrouds...
Page 1 of 1