All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ydocnitsua6705
ydocnitsua6705

Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Empty
PostSubject: Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)   Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2013, 9:18 pm

I need some feedback on this one but has any one ever considered mounting a brake rotor to the input shaft of the trans axle under the drive pulley kinda like a pinion brake?  I'm considering this idea instead of fabricating up a brake hat to mount one on a Peerless 820.  Any ideas or input please.  Heres  picture of what Im thinking.

Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) 820PinionBrake1
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)   Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2013, 9:24 pm

You certainly could do that. However- when you brake (what is effectively) an open differential, you can get some weird results. In short, it's the same as the power flow to an open diff- the tire with the least traction gets the most braking. If you are welding or locking your diff, then this won't be a problem. Also- don't forget the basics of leverage as it applies to torque multiplication- the lower the gear you're in, the better the brakes will work. Think mechanical advantage. If your brakes are good , this won't prove to be much of a problem either.
Back to top Go down
ydocnitsua6705
ydocnitsua6705

PostSubject: Re: Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)   Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2013, 9:35 pm

Im gonna be running a solid or live axle in it so one wheel braking wont be a problem. And for braking power from what Im thinking it will defiently be better than the stock brake on the side. Worse comes to worse ill add another caliper on the opposite side of the frame for more braking power. This isnt going in a racing application just a off roader so wont be used alot I just like the idea of being able to stop.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)   Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2013, 9:40 pm

Damn near anything will be better than stock!
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)   Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2013, 9:07 am

The biggest issue I see is you will need to have it in gear to use your brakes... if you accidentally bump it into neutral on a hill, all bets are off LOL.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
ydocnitsua6705
ydocnitsua6705

PostSubject: Re: Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)   Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2013, 7:25 pm

I never thought of that before, I dont think it will be a problem seeing as i usually cant find neutral in the trans anyways and just lock the clutch down. Reguardless ima see how this set up would work my only concern is im going to try and run dual v belts for my drive and I think I might run out of room.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)   Brake - Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trans Axle Input Shaft Brake (Pinion Brake)
Page 1 of 1