All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

need help building the front axle for my ford

Go down 
+4
Thunderdivine
Creepycrawler
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
xxXMowerdudeXxx
8 posters
AuthorMessage
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Empty
PostSubject: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 11:16 am

it needs to be able to handle up to 70. im going for 65. and it needs to be strong because im taking it to haspin.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 12:15 pm

The ford is going to be going to haspin!?!?  It has to be really tough then.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 12:39 pm

Look up stretch and rainbowboxers builds they have the best front axle build ups in my opinion
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 1:25 pm

Creepycrawler wrote:
Look up stretch and rainbowboxers builds they have the best front axle build ups in my opinion

i did, stretch told me to post a thread and he would tell me how and post pics, that way it would be here for everyone not just me.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 5:16 pm

If You really gonna go 70mph, I would add in some Positive Caster, and some Negative Camber.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 6:47 pm

Better be 1" + thick spindles and heavy duty. Otherwise i see a bend. And very heavy duty bearings.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 7:25 pm

Really, 70mph is unreasonable, especially if you are thinking of haspin, where we run 10mph most of the time. A mower geared for 70 won't me able to climb and descend the hills slow enough.

Cost wise, your looking at least a couple hundred bucks. With steel, tie rod ends, axles, rims, pulleys, belt, and hardware.

Need a good drill press and welder, and be able to weld. Having a weld break at 40 mph, much less 70 mph, on a front end would be a bad day.

We use 1.2 by 3 tube steel, 1/4 thick for axle. Spindles and kingpins are grade 8, 3/4 bolts, 8 in long. Kingpin mount is made out of channel iron, don't remember what size. Drilled 1 in holes, then used 1 in od by 3/4 id round tubing, welded in 1 in holes, to make kingpin bushings.

Google caster, camber, and toe, that will give you an idea of how to setup the angles.

We used 10 degrees postive caster, 0 toe, 0 camber.

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture134Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture133Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture132Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture129Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture122Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture121Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture120Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture071Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture070Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture069Medium

axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Picture053Medium

Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 7:36 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
Really, 70mph is unreasonable, especially if you are thinking of haspin, where we run 10mph most of the time.  A mower geared for 70 won't me able to climb and descend the hills slow enough.

that's why i plan on getting an extra sprocket for it so i can change the gearing for haspin. and how is it un reasonable? i want to be able to fly around cars on the county hwy Smile i actually am going for 65, but wanna build it safe up to 70
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 7:40 pm

and i do have a drill press and good welder i can use
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 7:44 pm

Why not make a Ford Racer build thread instead of one thread for each part, more tidy and people will read it more easily and follow your build MD.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 7:57 pm

Yes, unreasonable. As is flying around cars. I have a go kart, powered by a 250 two-stroke. Wicked quick, does 65-70. But it's flat on the ground, and has excellent brakes/steering. No way I'd take one of my mowers that fast, mower tires, mower bearings, high off the ground, and one bad part away from a disaster.

Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 8:32 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:
Why not make a Ford Racer build thread instead of one thread for each part, more tidy and people will read it more easily and follow your build MD.

well this thread was supposed to be just for building the front axle.....
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2013, 8:38 pm

xxXMowerdudeXxx wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:

well this thread was supposed to be just for building the front axle.....

Razz 
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2013, 10:40 am

Forgot to add, the center section of the axle is 24in long, which puts the overall width around 38 in with the tires on.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2013, 8:28 am

70 MPH on anything not built by somebody that REALLY knows what they are doing is a sure recipe for death. This is not intended to insult anyone, but it is fact. Absolutely every single aspect of the vehicle must be 100%. Every nut, bolt, weld join, component, angle... Spot on and high quality.

Lets keep a few things in mind- One, when your butt is pretty close to the ground, it feels like you're going twice the speed you are. Two, at such high speeds, direct steering is downright hairy on anything but a perfect surface. Anyone here who's built a kart or racer and tested on a local road knows exactly what I mean- sneeze, and you die. Three- lawn tractors are built with two things in mind, slow and cheap. A properly built racer MIGHT have 3 or 4 actual mower parts left- frame (reinforced of course), hood, fenders, engine. even the gearbox isn't left in it's stock configuration.

I am NOT an authority on racing mowers. I am building one for the first time, too. But I've been around the block enough times to know what's a good idea, and what's going to require blood transfusions. Let me paint you a picture-

I'm building a racer for fun. Might race it, might not. I WILL get it race certified by a club. All that is left from the stock machine is the hood, dash, and frame. The frame and dash are reinforced with 1" steel tube. I tossed the engine, in favour of a Briggs oppy twin. The transaxle hit the junk pile, and a race-prepped Peerless 700 is in. The rear axle is 1 1/4" hollow chromoly go kart axle. The brakes are the rear hydraulics from a 1983 Honda Interceptor 750 motorcycle, with a 7" pitbike rotor, slotted and vented. Go kart steering wheel, 5/8" solid steel rod steering column supported by 3 bearings, with the U-joint from a GM tilt column in there. Direct steering with aftermarket heim joints, drag link and tie rod made from Sch40 pipe. Jr Dragster rear aluminum wheels on aluminum hubs, front go kart aluminum wheels on kart hubs with high speed bearings. Tethered kill switch, blah. blah, blah.

This is being built for short tracks, probably 35-40 MPH. 70 is asking a lot...

So again- not to insult anyone, in fact I am hoping to help. But you have to be willing to invest a lot of time and money into the project, do it right, and do it well.

As for trail rides, forget it... This thing HAS to be very low to the ground for the speeds involved, meaning you won't get 5 feet into a trail.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2013, 10:54 am

no offence i know what yoursaying, but my dynamark does 45 right now no issues, no bearings nothing, LOL
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2013, 11:20 am

No offence taken (takes a lot more than that to offend me) However-

Just because you're doing it now, does it make it a good idea? No.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2013, 11:21 pm

hey stretch, where did u get the steel for your axle? and the c channel, and do u think a 5/8 kit will work off road? from bmi? or should i stick with 3/4?

http://www.bmikarts.com/Complete-Spindle-Set--58-_p_1319.html#

or
go with these and make semi custom

http://www.bmikarts.com/Spindle-with-34-x-4-12-Bolt-Side-1_p_1305.html

OR go compeltly custom?
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2013, 7:32 am

Here's a link to the kit.

http://www.bmikarts.com/Complete-Spindle-Set--58-_p_1319.html

Looks pretty neat. I'd use the 3/4 bolt spindles they list here with the kit, if the bolts are long enough for your wheels.

http://www.bmikarts.com/Spindle-with-34-x-4-12-Bolt-Side-1_p_1305.html

http://www.bmikarts.com/Spindle-with-34-x-4-12-Bolt-Side-2_p_1307.html

Only other problem I see is the tie rod mounts need drilled to 1/2, and reinforced. We've bent them plenty of times on other mowers.

I bought the steel from a local supplier. It needs to be the same width as the stock axle to fit in the frame.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2013, 2:32 pm

k, ill get em from bmi, and i still gotta find steel for an axle, lol i found it online but i dont wanna pay 50 for an axle, lol
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2014, 6:01 pm

hey doc and stetch. would you think a stock axle would work going over 50mph with new parts and last?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2014, 6:09 pm

Ariens YT11 wrote:
hey doc and stetch. would you think a stock axle would work going over 50mph with new parts and last?

The axle itself? Sure. Everything else needs addressing. 50MPH is asking a lot from parts that are inferior out of the box. The wheel bearings (or bushings) aren't up to the task. Neither are the rod ends, Heim joints are what's called for. Lastly- but most certainly not leastly (is leastly a word?) is the steering gear itself. Subject to slop at the best of times, it's not something I'd trust my @ss (or yours) to at 50 MPH. now- some guys have managed to beef certain steering gears up (Stretch? TRB?) into something a bit more dependable, but I myself am still leery of these things. I'd judge THAT one on a case-by-case basis, as not all steering gears are created equal.

None of this addresses the geometry. Factory steering geometry ranges from downright horrid, to passable. At 5 MPH, downright horrid is barely noticeable, if at all. At 50MPH, barely noticeable can become kamikaze. In my opinion, the best bet is simply to bite the bullet and fab a new axle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help building the front axle for my ford   axle - need help building the front axle for my ford Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need help building the front axle for my ford
Page 1 of 1