All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Racing mower

Go down 
+2
Doc Sprocket
Kody6
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Racing mower - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower   Racing mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2013, 4:56 pm

If you want something thats gonna get ridiculous . (powerful) Than toss the vari drive.. it is only ment to spin at so many rpms.. eventually you begin to break things on it.. (reason war pig is crippled)
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Racing mower - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing mower   Racing mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2013, 5:33 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
crazykid1994 wrote:
all it is technicaly is a simple torque converter so you could do whatever you wanted with it
No its not. Its a variable pulley that doubles as a clutch. As your change gears, it changes your belt ratios.. Look at it like its a jackshaft setup even tho its not.. this is an example.

Well, somebody's confused. What it is, is a CVT or Continuously Variable Transmission. Some folks do refer to a CVT as a torque converter, but I believe that is a misnomer. CVT's are commonly seen on snowmobiles, some ATV's, some golf carts, go karts, etc. Occasionally on cars, too- Nissan has a few out now.

What seperates this MTD vari-drive thing from a "normal" CVT is the actuation method. In most normal applications, the CVT is actuated centrifugally, through a system of weights and springs. In the vari-drive system, it is controlled manually. They both ultimately perform the same functions, utilizing the same basic leverage physics. Hope this clears things up for you folks.

Quote :
but until I get my hands dirty and work on it and learn how it works. How do I know if its junk? Well, jimbob down the road said so.. Well, let me tell you, experience go very far compared to some strangers word..
Absolutely, and welcome to my nightmare. There is so much misleading pseudo-information out there, because some twit says something, and a half a million people simply accept it as fact and pass it along...
Back to top Go down

Racing mower
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2