All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

generator trailer build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

trailer - generator trailer build Empty
PostSubject: generator trailer build   trailer - generator trailer build Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2013, 1:57 am

the power has been going out alot, and my 800 watt HFT genny isnt cutting it. we are looking to get a generac GP7500E, which weighs almost 200 lbs. now, this would not be a problem if i had a garage, aside from my shelterlogic. however, we dont have any place to store a generator, other than my shelterlogic, which is almost 200 yards away from where the generator would need to be. my mom has a bad back, and im not always going to be around to push it up to the plug. however, she can just jump on my tractor, pop a pin in and pull a trailer! Cool  here are my "plans" i have written up.
-must be towable behind my tractor.
-capeable of holding 200+ pounds of generator and fuels.
-must be safe to start and run the generator while on the trailer.
i am un sure of the dimensions at this time, but i will likely model my dump cart. i might even use parts off it. like the tounge, axle, tires, ect. the cart itsself, structurally is pooch. it has collapsed in on itsself twice now..
to make it safe t run the generator on the trailer, i would ground the gen to the trailer, and the trailer to the ground, using a piece of copper wire and a brass rod driven into the ground. i would like to be able to unhook from the trailer if i need to. just for an example, like hurricane Irene where electric was out for nearly a week. i could unhoom from the trailer and begin cleanup. hauling trees, rakeing, ect. would be nice to do. here is a picture of what i have drawn up. let me know what you think.

trailer - generator trailer build Ncm_0010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: generator trailer build   trailer - generator trailer build Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2013, 11:25 pm

excellent idea all around. only thing - to make it stable, have scissor jacks or something at all 4 corners to keep it from going rolling when in use.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: generator trailer build   trailer - generator trailer build Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2013, 11:27 pm

i would probably get a set of tire chocks. but scissor jacks are not a bad ideer. could help level it too. generally a good thing
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: generator trailer build   trailer - generator trailer build Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2013, 10:07 am

If it's particularly heavy, you could make it so the ground rod is hooked to and driven into the ground by the scissor jack.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: generator trailer build   trailer - generator trailer build Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2013, 10:54 am

And that would make an excellent parking brake!
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: generator trailer build   trailer - generator trailer build Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2013, 11:49 am

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
If it's particularly heavy, you could make it so the ground rod is hooked to and driven into the ground by the scissor jack.
i do indeed like that idea... im making notes of all these things.. well, since i just bought a truck, funds are a bit short
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: generator trailer build   trailer - generator trailer build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

generator trailer build
Page 1 of 1