All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!

Go down 
+2
Doc Sprocket
redlinemotorsportts
6 posters
AuthorMessage
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Empty
PostSubject: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2013, 2:36 pm

So i've had a lot of interest in my front suspension, and even that is a understatement. Here's how i did it in simple terms.

Where did you get the leaf springs? I got mine on a late 60's early 70's 440 cheetah last registered in '76. Many other sleds in the junkyard there had leafs- mine measured 24" long by 2" wide.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 10116110

Now for mounting, under the chassis i put in cross bar (1"x1") two of them side by side for 2" drop down brackets. (Only one bar shown in the photo) These came off the 1"x1" frame bracing i did.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 99578610

These are the rear drop down brackets.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11576910

Now going to the frame, your going to tear the whole front off of it. I removed my axle, took tires off, and took whatever brackets that connected the axle to the frame off. Now working with just the bare, front frame i went crazy with bracing, after all you want this to never move. i welded my 1"x1" to the frame, two pieces coming straight out and one going perpendicular to them. I did some x bracing so the whole program didn't sway side to side. I also welded my bumper on the front too. The small 3" long "lift blocks" are so the front bumper sits lower, so the leaf springs have more travel, theoretically giving my 1" more suspension travel and trust me, you want every bit of it.  
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11861510
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 99942110
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11855310

Now moving onto the mounting of the leaf springs to the frame i bolted the mounts i made earlyer to the springs and welded them to my frame mounts.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11490310
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11737910

Mounting the axle to the springs, so it will stay in place took some thinking, the original leaf springs were all tied together with a big metal block and bolts. i took the block, flipped it over so it was on top of the leafs and cut a groove in to so it hugs my axle. This was a rough cut, i welded little keepers in there that were more persistence and have barely and wiggle room.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 52241410
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11854310

This is how it looked with both of the blocks bolted to the leafs, and the leafs on the axle.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11508910

To make the axle not slide back and foruth i just welded some rod on the axle.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 95468910

Now you have to tie everything together. i made these little straps that sit on top of the axle and used bolts that went through the leaf spring pack and clamped everything down.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 94218410
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 55579010
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 56447110

Last thing was to make front mounts for the leafs.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 53403810

Now your done! Sit back and enjoy your nnew setup.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 52939910
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 99985910
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 52631710

I have step-by-step videos on this setup also:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcnfJqwjNdk
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXrCfghsbc
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhCEL2X_b7M
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QcwGTv3ctc

Last edited by redlinemotorsportts on August 30th 2014, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2013, 5:39 pm

Nicely done, Red. Thanks for undertaking the effort to write it up!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2013, 5:51 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Nicely done, Red. Thanks for undertaking the effort to write it up!
Thanks, no school and not much to do and i knew it would help someone out there, or atleast help them out on a rainy day...
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2013, 9:05 pm

How do you have your steering linkages hooked up?
Im in the process of building suspension using a single leaf spring... may or may not work, but Im gona try!
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2013, 9:22 pm

Fantastic! I take it you're doing a transverse (buggy) spring? For that, you'll need radius rods or similar, to locate the axle.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2013, 9:32 pm

Umm... not 100% I know what you are talking about there Doc. lol surprise suprise

If it goes as planned, it will end up having a gasser, or hotrod/ratrod looking setup. But a little bit different....
Providing the spring will actually flex at al, one side could move and not effect how the other side moves... maybe kinda like independant?

Still not 100% how Im going to do this... or make it work, but Im doing something anyways lol
Ill try to get a picture up in my build thread of what Im envisioning.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2013, 9:56 pm

I dont see it to be that hard. you showed me how its set up with the wishbones and the double shackles, and what confused me is that i always thought there was a panhard bar in there. Steering isnt hard at all.
Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! 11872410
Back to top Go down
slim67

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2013, 9:37 am

Thats using your head. The 16 year olds where I work can barely wash a car No  let alone fabricate like that. Its good to see the younger generation with skills like many of you on here. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
partin_us_99

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2014, 6:05 pm

My question is y go axle on top of leafs rather than use the lift it'd give u if u flip it to where axle is on the bottom of the springs?
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2014, 6:38 pm

i dont think red wanted to lift the rear he would of had to do a lift if he did the axle under the leaf springs and he would of had to extend the steering arm more maybe when he does the 820 swap he might change the front end who knows lol only time will tell. Or unless red tells us
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2014, 7:43 pm

partin_us_99 wrote:
My question is y go axle on top of leafs rather than use the lift it'd give u if u flip it to where axle is on the bottom of the springs?
For a number of things, if you put them under the axle then it lifts the front about 6" just by flipping it. then its looks aall goofy being so far up in the air. you'd need to put some kind of bars from the chassis to the bottom of the axle to stabilize it or it will fold under the tractor if you were to hit something for example.

Flipping the axle makes it a hole other project witch i didnt want, i just wanted to try out leafs. i like the low center of gravity, being that mowers are very top heavy and weight distribution is bad with these machines, so if i can keep my butt lower to the ground and not sacrifice ground CLEARANCE that = less chance of flipping, and improving the mowers off road abilities.

MowBandit wrote:
maybe when he does the 820 swap he might change the front end who knows lol only time will tell. Or unless red tells us

Well heres your answer. Nope. Only changes i see with the front is adding a leaf or two. It bottoms out to much with jumps. When the 820 goes in the mounts will be a inch lower then what i have now to help clear the tires better, and belt/clutch alignment is better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!   Front - Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaf springs on front mower axle conversion: How to!
Page 1 of 1