All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Happy Holidays!

18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q

Go down 
+3
1997 Murray
Craftsman1998
Krawler86
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Krawler86
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Krawler86

Forum Rep : 0

18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Empty
PostSubject: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:48 am

On this Craftsman II GT 18hp Briggs, the way im orienting it, i need it to be skinnier on the inlet fan side. Stock, the fan faced the center console and had a pulley in front of it. So airflow was limited, which is why im guessing the extra fan was added. The fan itself is also kinda heavy, not iron heavy, but its a little weight.

Stock, without the drive pulley.
18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Img_3043

Im wondering if i can run it like this with no ill effects. Il make a mesh guard that mounts either to the frame or to the shroud to protect that inlet, but it will be on the left side of the tractor with ample airflow, il also put a grill on that side of the sheetmetal for cooling intake as well. Do you think it would be ok to run like this? It would make my life much easier if i could.
18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Img_3044
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Hammer
Hammer
Craftsman1998

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 9:32 am

If it was my mower i would just run it the way it is. if it makes it easier. im sure its not the best thing to do but i would do it.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Hammer
Hammer
1997 Murray

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 am

go ahead and leave it off, my opposed twin just has the fan in the last picture.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
T-Dub13

PostSubject: Re: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 12:20 pm

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Should work better than stock too because you're feeding it fresh, cool air now.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
MowBandit

PostSubject: Re: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:52 pm

I normally wouldnt recommend it but the way you got your engine setup go for it i see no harm if anything i see it being able to pull more air in
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Hammer
Hammer
1997 Murray

PostSubject: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:54 pm

jay_rod is the expert on opposed twins..... he has a thread on here somewhere
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 6:22 pm

It will be fine, as pictured.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
matt-man
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Ive ran engines like that for a few years and they still run just fine so I wouldn't worry about it
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Krawler86

PostSubject: Re: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 1:07 am

Awesome, exactly what i wanted to hear, thanks guys. Saves me from new hood mounts or deformed sheetmetal on that side. That fan just sticks out too far. Now it can be almost flush with the sheetmetal on that side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q   18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

18hp Opposed twin cooling and flywheel q
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: Briggs and Stratton-
Jump to: