All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I silence a stock exhaust

Go down 
+3
simplicity14twin
TroyBilt Pony
jdunn
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jdunn
jdunn

How do I silence a stock exhaust Empty
PostSubject: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 12:50 am

So I want to make my stock screw in exhaust sound not so loud. I want it to be as quiet as possible. I don't kno how to do it.i read something about putting fiberglass insulation in something. I don't know. Any suggestions? Plz help
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 8:21 am

Get exhaust packing and pack it. FMF makes good stuff. Cut the muffler in half, and pack it, then rivet it back together. (don't weld it as packing has to be replaced every couple of months to keep it really quiet.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905/4653/FMF-4-Stroke-Silencer-Packing

This is about as best as its gonna get. Other than that you can try getting a small farm tractor muffler, that should make it really quiet. (They are at TSC)
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 9:05 am

take a can like one of those arizona long ones. cut both ends off so its an open cylinder. put exhaust packing in it then take like a 2 1/2 inch exhaust clamp and clamp it on. This is the redneck rigged version not the best but it prob will silence it.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 10:39 am

You can silence the muffler, but dont forget these machines make a lot of mechanical noise too.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 10:40 am

I would take that Arizona can and cut the top off only.  Then on the bottom, drill a bunch of 3/16" to 1/4" holes.  Then pack the entire can with coarse steel wool and mount it on with the hose clamp.

Pictures of what you have now would help.

If it's a screw-in muffler that uses the 1" pipe threadn then you can plumb it with regular pipe fittings and aim it towards the ground or under the machine to make it quieter.

Look around on here for the many many exhaust threads and you will get some ideas.   Wink   Cool

Yeah, doug's right! But anything to not make enemies out of the neighbors helps!  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 10:56 am

yea what t-dub said that is a better idea I completely spaced that there would be an open hole and a hose clamp would work better to seal exhaust leaks haha lol! 
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 11:00 am

Hey, I just took a good idea and ran with it!  Laughing cheers 
Back to top Go down
jdunn
jdunn

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 2:11 pm

Thanks to all the replies. They really open up the options. And I don't know how to post pics.
Back to top Go down
jdunn
jdunn

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 2:12 pm

Thanks to all the replies. They really open up the options. And I don't know how to post pics.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 2:24 pm

Here's a thread on posting pics. TUTORIAL

Keep us posted on what you end up doing and good luck!  Cool 
Back to top Go down
jdunn
jdunn

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 2:46 pm

How do I silence a stock exhaust Image12
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 2:56 pm

LOL! Yeah, those muffs are LOUD! You could just add an elbow and aim it towards the ground for starters. I don't think a soda can will fit, but maybe a coffee can can. lol  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 6:57 pm

About the quietest stock mufflers I've heard are some twin opposed briggs mufflers, large can style.

Depending on the engine, you may be able to buy a generator muffler for it, they can be pretty quiet.

Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 7:52 pm

http://www.amazon.com/M-110-Muffler-Stratton-Engines-Replaces/dp/B0000DGALO/ref=zg_bs_155375011_12

I saw that someone took like two of these and linked them together with a piece of small pipe in the middle.  Don't know how quiet it will be but it is two mufflers put together.
Back to top Go down
jdunn
jdunn

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 9:16 pm

So right now I put insulation in the tube and put piece of a metal screening because the insulstion wanted to feed back through the exhaust. I have yet to sound test is. Maybe will tomarro if I get gas. Will let u know if it works or not.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 8:48 am

jdunn wrote:
So right now I put insulation in the tube and put piece of a metal screening because the insulstion wanted to feed back through the exhaust. I have yet to sound test is. Maybe will tomarro if I get gas. Will let u know if it works or not.

Umm, If I understand what you're doing, it doesn't sound like a good idea. The small diameter pipe that goes between the engine and the muffler should be empty and clean. Anything loose in there could get sucked back into the engine. Plus anything in there will limit the breathing of the engine and effect the performance of the engine.

What you want to do is add sound deadening device (material, tube, can, whatever) after the stock muffler.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 9:00 am

I know what would work. Have you guys ever seen those like those rubber flex couplings. If you found one that was made out of aluminum or something like a thin metal material you could still use the can and hose clamps. bounce
Back to top Go down
jdunn
jdunn

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 11:43 am

Would one of them small Bernie and weenie tin cans work? Then pack it with some packing. Like mount the can on the end of the muffler.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 12:26 pm

Whatever will fit over that muff will help. I just said a coffee can because I remember those to be about that size. But whatever fits... Just stuff it with something that won't burn out, like Coarse Steel wool. On the other end, drill holes to let the exhaust out. Enough holes to let it breathe, but not too many holes to make it loud.
Back to top Go down
jdunn
jdunn

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 12:32 pm

The can I have will fit over the holes but not the whole exhaust. Will that work or will I have to use like an old paint can or something
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 1:01 pm

We were talking about a can that fits over the outside diameter of the muffler, so you can secure it on with a hose clamp or something similar.

Basically, what we're saying is you want to extend the exhaust system and give the exhaust pulses a little more of a challenge to get out to the ambient air. This will smooth out the exhaust pulses and make the machine a little quieter.

Any way you can continue the system and give the exhaust gas pulses a little more routing will help.

Start your machine and experiment by holding different things against the muffler outlet until you find something that sounds good and is possible to mount to the system.  Cool 
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 1:08 pm

IDK now lol. I'm a firm believer in the louder to better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 1:13 pm

BTDT.  I guess it depends on how close your neighbors are!

All my race machines are loud as heck, but I also enjoy blasting around my yard and neighborhood which requires me to be respectful of the neighbors to a point.  I'll take the performance loss since I'm not racing in my yard in exchange for no hassle from the neighbors or the law.   Cool  So I can see where he's coming from.

I'm running a stock can now, but it's loud and sounds bad.  I'm building an exhaust that will hopefully not be much louder, but sound great.
Back to top Go down
jdunn
jdunn

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 1:53 pm

What size hole do y'all think I need and how many holes?
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 2:06 pm

FOUND IT!!! Here's a pic of the "Sierra Mist" soda can I installed on my son's KX60. I filled it with steel wool and hose-clamped it to the stock "silencer". The I drilled a few 1/4" holes around the rear edge. It cut the noise in half and didn't noticeable effect the performance of the bike.

How do I silence a stock exhaust 0418131109_zps8f631357
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I silence a stock exhaust   How do I silence a stock exhaust Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I silence a stock exhaust
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next