All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inTop Tractor Challenge

 

 Removing Governer Slinger

Go down 
+4
TroyBilt Pony
T-Dub13
1997 Murray
WilliesBuilds
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WilliesBuilds
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
WilliesBuilds


Age : 26
Join date : 2013-06-19
Posts : 329
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 am

I had question if i remove the governer completly inside and out what is gona splash the oil around inside. Ive just Always wondered that ? i Guess its a simple question lol
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Hammer
Hammer
1997 Murray

1000 Posts
1K Posts!

Age : 23
Join date : 2013-11-13
Posts : 1311
Forum Rep : 2
Location : NW USA

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 am

never thought about that........ good question.
Back to top Go down
WilliesBuilds
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
WilliesBuilds


Age : 26
Join date : 2013-06-19
Posts : 329
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:15 pm

i hope some one who has done it can comment and let me know lol
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
T-Dub13


Age : 52
Join date : 2013-12-06
Posts : 540
Forum Rep : 2
Location : Central MA

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Don't eliminate the slinger, just the weights and metal cap.

Pull the pins and eliminate the weights, then pop the little metal cap off.  The plastic wheel should remain on the shaft.

Removing Governer Slinger 4e2f27b1e8c00_162029b_zps6f566604

I also sawed off the little lever "paddle" on the end of the Gov shaft, but left the shaft in the block in case I wanted to use it as a pivot point on the outside of the block.


Last edited by T-Dub13 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WilliesBuilds
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
WilliesBuilds


Age : 26
Join date : 2013-06-19
Posts : 329
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:26 pm

yeah thats what i thought it makes wayyy moree sense to just eliminate the metal parts just wanted to verify with the forum
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
TroyBilt Pony


Join date : 2013-06-01
Posts : 578
Forum Rep : 0
Location : West Virginia

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 1:17 pm

I cut the governor shaft, remove it, install a screw with my loctite/gasket maker solution, Then rev her out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WilliesBuilds
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
WilliesBuilds


Age : 26
Join date : 2013-06-19
Posts : 329
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 3:19 pm

sounds awesome mines almost done just waiting for the seals to come in snail mail lol
Back to top Go down
rarbaugh07
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
rarbaugh07


Age : 33
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 117
Forum Rep : 2
Location : Logan, iowa

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Has anyone blown an engine because of high revs without the governor? I've only seen them blow because of bad/low.
Back to top Go down
rarbaugh07
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
rarbaugh07


Age : 33
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 117
Forum Rep : 2
Location : Logan, iowa

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Bad/low oil.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

1000 Posts
1K Posts!

Age : 48
Join date : 2013-04-21
Posts : 2911
Forum Rep : 20
Location : Ontario Canada

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 4:34 pm

@T-Dub13 wrote:
Don't eliminate the slinger, just the weights and metal cap.

Pull the pins and eliminate the weights, then pop the little metal cap off.  The plastic wheel should remain on the shaft.

Precisely.

_______________________________________________
***Get YOUR official "Doc Locked, And Ready To Rock!" Stickers by clicking here!***
***Official Sprocket's Garage vinyl graphics and tees for sale HERE!***
Removing Governer Slinger Facebo12
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
T-Dub13


Age : 52
Join date : 2013-12-06
Posts : 540
Forum Rep : 2
Location : Central MA

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Well..... That's a tough question to answer. You may get a different answer from every member of the forum.  Laughing 

The general consensus is that these motors will experience valve float (which will limit RPMs) before they get spinning fast enough to blow up.

That being said, they have cast aluminum rods and dogbones so there is some variablilty in manufacturing and who knows, you may be the owner of the weakest rod to come off of the assembly line. It's out there, so someone has it, or it already broke.

I snapped a dogbone on a 100% stock grass cutting mower last summer. No reason it should have broke at 3600RPMs, but it did.

So when I built my 28 series 12+hp motor, I upgraded the Rod and Dogbone just because It makes me feel a little better about running it WFO.
Back to top Go down
B440
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
B440


Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 226
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Thompson, CT

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 pm

@T-Dub13 wrote:

So when I built my 28 series 12+hp motor, I upgraded the Rod and Dogbone just because It makes me feel a little better about running it WFO.


Where did you buy the upgraded rod and dogbone?
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
TroyBilt Pony


Join date : 2013-06-01
Posts : 578
Forum Rep : 0
Location : West Virginia

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 3:14 pm

@B440 wrote:
@T-Dub13 wrote:

So when I built my 28 series 12+hp motor, I upgraded the Rod and Dogbone just because It makes me feel a little better about running it WFO.


Where did you buy the upgraded rod and dogbone?
You can buy them at ARCracing, eccarburetor, and other small businesses.
http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/StoreFront
https://eccarburetors.com/webstore/

I have a 12hp flathead that will turn 7600rpm and am still running the stock internals. I always try to keep it around 5500 or below tho unless it starts to bog down, then I hammer down.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

1000 Posts
1K Posts!

Age : 48
Join date : 2013-04-21
Posts : 2911
Forum Rep : 20
Location : Ontario Canada

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 4:14 pm

@TroyBilt Pony wrote:


I have a 12hp flathead that will turn 7600rpm and am still running the stock internals. I always try to keep it around 5500 or below tho unless it starts to bog down, then I hammer down.

I wanna see this.

_______________________________________________
***Get YOUR official "Doc Locked, And Ready To Rock!" Stickers by clicking here!***
***Official Sprocket's Garage vinyl graphics and tees for sale HERE!***
Removing Governer Slinger Facebo12
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
TroyBilt Pony


Join date : 2013-06-01
Posts : 578
Forum Rep : 0
Location : West Virginia

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm

@Doc Sprocket wrote:
@TroyBilt Pony wrote:


I have a 12hp flathead that will turn 7600rpm and am still running the stock internals. I always try to keep it around 5500 or below tho unless it starts to bog down, then I hammer down.

I wanna see this.
What I meant by internals are the dogbone and rod. Valves train, cam, and head aren't stock.

Mods done, Custom cam by my schools machine shop, Smoothed brows, port & polish, Head and block smoothed down to smooth finish (inside for more flow), stainless valves and billet lifters, springs i robbed from a pressure washer pump (very strong), Governor removed completely, E3.10 plug, some carb mods, 5w30 Mobile 1 syn.. Got the cam timed so far up it doesn't idle below 1600 or it dies and that's barley alive. Flywheel timing is tweaked with a filed down key, a newer dog bone i had out of a 1995 12hp, and that's pretty much it. The 7600 is under no load with no air filter and straight pipes. When loaded down driving the highest i could get it was 6700. Next time I put her on the stand, I tie my tach up to her and take a video or picture. Gonna get her fired up sometime this week, maybe next.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Thunderdivine

1000 Posts
1K Posts!

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2100
Forum Rep : 2
Location : Norway, Europe

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 6:01 pm

@TroyBilt Pony wrote:
@Doc Sprocket wrote:
@TroyBilt Pony wrote:


I have a 12hp flathead that will turn 7600rpm and am still running the stock internals. I always try to keep it around 5500 or below tho unless it starts to bog down, then I hammer down.

I wanna see this.
What I meant by internals are the dogbone and rod. Valves train, cam, and head aren't stock.

Mods done, Custom cam by my schools machine shop, Smoothed brows, port & polish, Head and block smoothed down to smooth finish (inside for more flow), stainless valves and billet lifters, springs i robbed from a pressure washer pump (very strong), Governor removed completely, E3.10 plug, some carb mods, 5w30 Mobile 1 syn.. Got the cam timed so far up it doesn't idle below 1600 or it dies and that's barley alive. Flywheel timing is tweaked with a filed down key, a newer dog bone i had out of a 1995 12hp, and that's pretty much it. The 7600 is under no load with no air filter and straight pipes.  When loaded down driving the highest i could get it was 6700. Next time I put her on the stand, I tie my tach up to her and take a video or picture. Gonna get her fired up sometime this week, maybe next.

Pics or it never happened Very Happy 

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
TroyBilt Pony


Join date : 2013-06-01
Posts : 578
Forum Rep : 0
Location : West Virginia

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 6:39 pm

@Thunderdivine wrote:
@TroyBilt Pony wrote:
@Doc Sprocket wrote:
@TroyBilt Pony wrote:


I have a 12hp flathead that will turn 7600rpm and am still running the stock internals. I always try to keep it around 5500 or below tho unless it starts to bog down, then I hammer down.

I wanna see this.
What I meant by internals are the dogbone and rod. Valves train, cam, and head aren't stock.

Mods done, Custom cam by my schools machine shop, Smoothed brows, port & polish, Head and block smoothed down to smooth finish (inside for more flow), stainless valves and billet lifters, springs i robbed from a pressure washer pump (very strong), Governor removed completely, E3.10 plug, some carb mods, 5w30 Mobile 1 syn.. Got the cam timed so far up it doesn't idle below 1600 or it dies and that's barley alive. Flywheel timing is tweaked with a filed down key, a newer dog bone i had out of a 1995 12hp, and that's pretty much it. The 7600 is under no load with no air filter and straight pipes.  When loaded down driving the highest i could get it was 6700. Next time I put her on the stand, I tie my tach up to her and take a video or picture. Gonna get her fired up sometime this week, maybe next.

Pics or it never happened Very Happy 
ugh.. not this bs lol
Removing Governer Slinger Screenshot_2013-09-17-20-53-20_zpsf30a100a
This is the only pic i have....
Heres the engine tho..
Removing Governer Slinger 20131123_160507_zps2ca0141d
Just wait until i get a pic of my tach when its turning 7000+
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
T-Dub13


Age : 52
Join date : 2013-12-06
Posts : 540
Forum Rep : 2
Location : Central MA

Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:57 am

 Cool 
@TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Just wait until i get a pic of my tach when its turning 7000+

How about some video too? It would be inspiring to see and hear a "28" do that!  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Removing Governer Slinger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing Governer Slinger   Removing Governer Slinger Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Removing Governer Slinger
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: Briggs and Stratton-
Jump to: