All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Happy Holidays!

Briggs and straton really hard to start

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tractorreed
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

Briggs and straton really hard to start  Empty
PostSubject: Briggs and straton really hard to start    Briggs and straton really hard to start  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 10:28 am

I have a Briggs 16 hp 90s engine and when I get running every day it will start right up. But if I leve it it will not start Evan with tons of starting fluid and jumping it will evenchaly start but how can I get it start much faster.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

Forum Rep : 3

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and straton really hard to start    Briggs and straton really hard to start  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 11:03 am

Cover the basics, spark plug, air filter, clean carb. Does it crank fast enough? What's the tempature there?

whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and straton really hard to start    Briggs and straton really hard to start  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm wondering about compression. Try this: Let is sit a few days or however long it takes that you KNOW it's gonna be a hairball to try and start. Take the spark plugs out and fog a good burst of WD40 in each cylinder. You can try squirting a couple shots of engine oil in there too. Crank the engine over a few times, put the plugs back in, and attempt to start it.

My buddy's got an old diesel tractor that's long overdue for a rebuild. If it sits too long, the cylinders lose their oil coating, and the compression drops to the point where it will not start. Period. The only way to get it to light is to get a small Arab country into each jug first...

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
the54
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
the54

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and straton really hard to start    Briggs and straton really hard to start  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 am

Id definitely check the stuff the other guys said first, but it might also be a worn needle and seat. Maby its flooding it out when it sits for awhile. Does your gas level get significantly lower after it sits awhile? Also what type of oil are you using and how does it look... smell?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and straton really hard to start    Briggs and straton really hard to start  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs and straton really hard to start
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: Briggs and Stratton-
Jump to: