All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Best way to extend spindles?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

Best way to extend spindles? Empty
PostSubject: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2011, 4:44 pm

Hey ive looked around found a few ideas, but whats the best n easyest thing to do? weld a bolt with no head onto the spindle?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2011, 5:45 pm

Thats what i did- if the bolt is a 3/4" size- its the same diameter as the spindle , i used a slightly smaller bolt - welded the head on the end of the spindle and cleaned it up - can be ground down flush - as long as the end threads are still useable to lock the wheel on.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2011, 6:00 pm

I just did this with 3/4" bolts on mine and can add something. It's hard to weld them perfectly straight, I noticed this when I went to slide the rims on. They went, but the first time was a little hard, after that I greased them and they spin freely like they were on bearings. Had I thought ahead, I would have liked to have drilled both the original spindle and the 3/4" bolt down the middle, and cross, and installed a zerk fitting on the end of the newly extended spindle. That way I could easily grease the wheels without removing them. If I had a really long 1/8" bolt I could still do it. Or maybe a 90 degree zerk on the backside of the rims.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 7:43 am

I used roller bering hubs on my murray- i know that gave it a few extra MPH - heck i just barely gave it a push thru the backyard once and thing rolled nice n smooth all on its own.

Since most are for offroading, you dont really need front berings, but for fast running - its a definite- even greased at high speeds- itll tear right into the rims and either make the wheel fall off, or cut off the spindle eventually.
Back to top Go down
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 4:04 pm

ok thanks i got some 3/4 bolts at home. im gunna go to my buddys house to go weld it upp and possibly make a front bumper outta 1x1 boxed steel guna have to figure out a nice design any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 9:45 pm

for my bumper i welded about a foot of 3 inch angle iron to the frame of my tractor and then weldecd a piece of 2x4 tubing on the end thats 2 inches skinnier then the front tires so it wouldnt get caught on anything. i just used a bunch of scrap metal and ended up with a pretty decent bumper
Back to top Go down
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 10:53 pm

got any pics of the bumper you made?
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 7:09 am

the pictures arent the best but ill poast what i have

Best way to extend spindles? PB090529-1
Best way to extend spindles? PB090524
its hard to see but it is skinnier then the tires
Back to top Go down
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 7:44 pm

ya. thats the thing i dont have a hood.. well i doo. but its broken it wont stay on.. (my aunt ran into a tree broke the one side that mounts) so when they gave me it. i was like ehh took it off, its just easyer to have it off. but itll look dumb with a big bumper with no hood.. bc itll be out way to far bc i got 20 inch wheels on front. and 20inch wheels on the back and it has been streched back sooo.. idk. ill figureout somthing possibly put the hood back onn. i dont relle need a back bumper mostly just a front to save the engine from trees (no breakes yet) haha
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 8:06 pm

mine doesnt have brakes and no intentions of ever hooking them up lol i just press the clutch in advance so i dont need them, and if i need to stop fast i put it in first and kill the motor
Back to top Go down
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 10:12 pm

ya i just thought id keep myself "safe" on here. by sayen im gunna get breakes:P haha ya i aint putten any on Razz easyer, less to work on:P less to break haha
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 1:01 pm

I quote from Fearlessfront in the 'Rules and regulations thread" : " Brakes SHOULD be upgraded if the tractor's speed is over twice stock (you want to be able to stop on a hill!)" and " Obviously, anything in the project builds section would be exempt of these rules and guidelines as they are still "works in progress". Unless they have a blatant disreguard for the rules or do not intend to follow them.
If someone does violate the rules, Chunk or I will lock, or possably delete the thread! "

Back to top Go down
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 3:18 pm

sorry, calm down, if i need breaks i just turn the motor off with the clutch engaged. ( new switch i wired to the dash) so it stops in a half second. i have no parts for breaks atm, so i cant put any on yet
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 6:51 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I quote from Fearlessfront in the 'Rules and regulations thread" : " Brakes SHOULD be upgraded if the tractor's speed is over twice stock (you want to be able to stop on a hill!)" and " Obviously, anything in the project builds section would be exempt of these rules and guidelines as they are still "works in progress". Unless they have a blatant disreguard for the rules or do not intend to follow them.
If someone does violate the rules, Chunk or I will lock, or possably delete the thread! "

I see your point.
Maybe they were just kidding. i'd like to have brakes on my mowers too but i don't cause it costs to much, probably why they don't have em either.

What kinda brakes do you have on your MTD mild mod?
The mowers i have without brakes don't go very fast anyways.

But yeah, we all should do our best to have a brake setup!
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 8:32 pm

id like to have a parking brake so it can idle on a hill but i dont know how to set them up because stock on a peerless 6 speed is just junk but i do know the new tractor im building this spring will have front bakes, because im using an atv front end truith is i just wanna do brake stands lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2011, 3:22 pm

I have stock brakes that still work ( for the moment) on my MTD , because its actually still 90% stock and slow - im adding either a drum brake or larger disc brake when i do my next wave of speed mods( trans swap and twin cylender) - the wizard will have brakes, the wheelhorse will definitely have em - i might hit the junkyard for that one - see if i can find a pair of discs/calipers/master cylender.

Any of my future fast tractors will have an aftermarket set of brakes - my offroader will have stock brakes , because that isnt fast. My builds here on out are going to built as safe as possible - im getting too old to afford to be reckless .

I learned my lesson on my first two mod builds- fast or slow , they need brakes.

Back to top Go down
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2011, 6:20 pm

and im still young enough i can get a few bumps n bruses. my machine does go faster then stock but i dont care, if i get hurt its my fault, not theres. also i have no hardware for brakes for my mower, and cant afford any, so i jus go out n have fun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best way to extend spindles?   Best way to extend spindles? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best way to extend spindles?
Page 1 of 1