All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

Engine swap

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dipshaw87
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Dipshaw87

Forum Rep : 0

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 8:36 pm

I have a bolens g16x1 with a 16 hp tecumseh on it. It has a driveshaft that goes into a jackshaft then the pulley for the transmission. Does anyone know if I could replace that tecumseh with something different like a briggs or kohler? It's tired and burns a lot of oil.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 20

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 9:10 pm

You should be able to, just make sure the shaft size is compatible. Bolt patterns tend to be fairly universal, but don't be too surprised if you have to make some slight modifications.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Dipshaw87

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 10:10 pm

I was either thinking about putting an older kohler on it or a newer briggs or say screw it and throw on a diesel lol
Back to top Go down
Mitch'sgarage
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 am

Engine swaps are not too hard to do. I sapped a Tecumseh with a Briggs and the bolt pattern matched.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Vice Grip
Vice Grip
Moose

Forum Rep : 2

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Id say diesel they are pretty under rated people look at them and their like "Oh its only 6hp" costs the same as a 15hp but it pulls a lot harder than a 15 could 8D
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Angchor

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm

@Moose wrote:
Id say diesel they are pretty under rated people look at them and their like "Oh its only 6hp" costs the same as a 15hp but it pulls a lot harder than a 15 could 8D
Can you run the small ones like this, on waste oil, and vegetable oil, like you can, the car sized ones?
Back to top Go down
Moose
Vice Grip
Vice Grip
Moose

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:26 pm

@Angchor wrote:
@Moose wrote:
Can you run the small ones like this, on waste oil, and vegetable oil, like you can, the car sized ones?
I want to test it with veggie oil but Im going to have to do some mods to get the compression up because as it sits it doesnt have the compression to pop off the oil or so I have been told...
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Angchor

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:39 pm

@Moose wrote:
I want to test it with veggie oil but Im going to have to do some mods to get the compression up because as it sits it doesnt have the compression to pop off the oil or so I have been told...

I've read that when that is the case, you should start it with regular diesel. Then, after it has warmed up, and while running, switch it to the waste veggie oil.

So you'd have to have two tanks. And some way to switch between them while it is running.

Switch back to the diesel and let it run long enough to be running on diesel again, just before you turn it off.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Vice Grip
Vice Grip
Moose

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:55 pm

@Angchor wrote:
@Moose wrote:

I've read that when that is the case, you should start it with regular diesel. Then, after it has warmed up, and while running, switch it to the waste veggie oil.

So you'd have to have two tanks. And some way to switch between them while it is running.

Switch back to the diesel and let it run long enough to be running on diesel again, just before you turn it off.

Yeah I have also heard people talking about 50/50ing it so you have a 2 cycle mixture pretty much but I was thinking about it and was like well thats pointless because it sips fuel anyway I ran it pretty much all day sunday and used a quart of fuel...
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Angchor

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

I WANT ONE!!!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Vice Grip
Vice Grip
Moose

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 12:55 am

@Angchor wrote:
I WANT ONE!!!
worth every penny youll spend on one though if you do get one just spend the money and get a yanmar the china diesels seem to have a lot of issues with material quality in their castings and bearings...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine swap
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: General Engine Tech-
Jump to: