All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Roll bar idea

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Angchor
Angchor

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2014, 1:57 pm

I am getting older. My personal automatic safety features are getting slower and slower to react.

This tractor has already flipped backward onto me, once. Put the two together, and I am naturally more prone to the heebie-jeebies, whenever the tractor seems like it might flip or roll.

The ATV trail that I am building this for, is very steep in places. And in a few places it is steep, AND there is a sharp curve. Bottom line, there are a few places where riding this tractor up and down that trail, is pretty scary.

My first thought was to widen the stance of the tractor. But every solution I have seen, or have figured out on my own, either compromises the axles too much, (especially given my weight.), or is too expensive.

I had a thought, this morning. New idea. Roll bar. Only not the kind of roll bar that goes up over your head, etc. (Part of a cage, if we are talking tractors.)

What I am thinking is this...

Really heavy duty back bumper.

Wheelie bars.

Now bend those wheelie bars sideways. (You'd have to keep the wheels oriented forward, though.)

What do you guys think? Stupid idea? Freekin jeenyus?

~~~~~~~

Ok, thinking about this some more...

Wheelie bars have the wheels pretty far off the ground.

If you flipped the bars sideways, they'd be so far off the ground, that they would be worthless in a roll situation caused by being sideways on a hill.

So you'd have to make the 'side wheelie bars', with the wheels already on the ground, to do any good at all.

Only way I see this making any difference is if the wheels are constantly on the ground, and are as much as a foot beyond the wheels of the tractor.

Even then, you'd still have the tendency to roll at a forward angle, instead of just sideays. So you'd have to have them out front, as well.

Nope... I don't think there's any jeenyus involved in that there idear! It would cost much more than the idea I have been leaning toward. (No pun intended.)

Cut the axles short on the peerless. Install sprockets. Then chains to sprokets on a go-kart axle. Mount the axle as far back as possible, and make it as wide as necessary.

Ok, I told Doc Sprocket yesterday that I would start looking for the cheapest possible go kart axle, bearings, sprockets, chains, etc... So I guess that will be my research for the day today.

Move along, no jenyus to be seen here.... (But I am going to go ahead and post this, in case anyone else has any ideas!)
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2014, 8:16 pm

What about a suspension wheelie bar with pneumatic wheels? Sideways rolling is going to be hard to stop unless you extend training wheels three feet out each side, and im sure rebuilding your frame for a ROPS is out of the question. A suspension wheelie bar will stop you from rolling back but still allow travel if you happen to go over something large. Extend it 2-3' out the rear and be golden.

Roll bar idea Untitl10

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2014, 9:26 pm

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, but looking like this.

Roll bar idea Wheeli10

Still, it's going to be cheaper to just extend the chassis a bit, add a go-kart axle, and do chain drives on both sides of the axle.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2014, 10:03 pm

The thing about side extensions is you now have to keep more of an eye on your side clearances for snags.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2014, 11:56 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
The thing about side extensions is you now have to keep more of an eye on your side clearances for snags.

I'd already considered that.

The use I have for the tractor isn't that critical. The trail is known, and there is no deviation from the trail.

The things I don't like about the idea are the wide turn radius, and the cost. Plus the fact that the tractor is less useful in pulling a trailer. Not completely useless, just more complicated, etc. Kind of flies in the face of K.I.S.S.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2014, 7:11 am

Unfoetunately KISS and safety dont really well coincide with eachother.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2014, 8:32 am

i would just do a ROPS like you see on compact and subcompact utility tractors and some Z-mowers. i think that would be your best bet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roll bar idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roll bar idea   Roll bar idea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roll bar idea
Page 1 of 1