All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Diesel conversion?

Go down 
+4
Stretch44875
Moose
Murray modder
Cullen Dargatz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cullen Dargatz

Diesel conversion?  Empty
PostSubject: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2014, 11:08 pm

Does anyone out their think it's possible to take a single cylinder gas engine and somehow convert it to a diesel?
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2014, 11:20 pm

As far as I know, without any sort of research r knowledge, (Somebody is going to say Im wrong, or not to listen) But I do know Diesel engines run from compression, not spark. This means that you have to have an absurd amount of compression for it to even blow off fuel (Tried to figure out another way to say ignite) Im guessing you'd basically have to shave the heads, and find a longer connecting rod, (SO a stroker engine) and a head gasket big enough for it.

This doesnt even mention having a compression release, A starter strong enough for it, or a glo-plug.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit:
After doing some research, as I kinda would have guessed, you have to upgrade much more than the compression, gloplugs, and the starter/
I can into modifying the plug holes to fit an injector, having stronger main bearings, a forged crank and so on, Even the rocker studs will have to be stronger.
Back to top Go down
Cullen Dargatz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2014, 11:41 pm

Ok I know how a diesel works and I have some push mowers laying around and I was just wonder if anyone thought is was possible. I don't think a glow plug would really be need and wouldn't the carb be enough or would an injector be better
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2014, 2:09 am

It'd be less painful to buy a diesel you'd have to pretty much redesign the block so it'd handle the compression you'd also need a injection pump carb wouldn't cut it
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2014, 7:00 am

Diesels have injectors, and injector pump, not carburetor.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2014, 8:18 am

a carbuerated diesel is not going to work. it needs an injector to atomize the fuel, DIRECTLY into the cylinder. That means you'll need a high pressure injector pump, as well as a low pressure fuel pump, to draw fuel from the tank, and send it to the injector pump. As far as a glowplug, it would help for coldstarts but thats about it. If i was going to attempt this, i would mix in a catalyst to lower the ignition temperature, and thus lowering the required compression.

Honestly, i would just run the gasser. Its going to entail WAY too much work
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2014, 11:18 am

i personaly have used a catalyst/diesel mix before with a stock engine, it knocked like crazy from preignition/detonation, it worked, but i wouldnt recomend it for very long
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2014, 5:29 pm

You can indeed run a gasoline industrial engine on Diesel or Kerosene with a bit of tweaking. I have looked into this, and will be experimenting on my old Techumseh H60, so stay tuned. Back in the day, Briggs had a dual-fual setup that would do this.

Let it be known that it isn't very practical at all, so while it is cool to experiment with, it's not something you'll want to run full-time.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2014, 11:10 am

ya thats what i was getting at
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2014, 12:48 pm

Again, though- not at all practical. If it stalls while running on the diesel, you're draining the carb and restarting on gasoline. FUN!
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2014, 8:27 pm

...or if it gets cold, either way u still have to drain the carb
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2014, 10:17 pm

Ive personally run kero in my 12hp flathead.. ran like ***** but it got me home..
You need to brace the block for compression, shave the head almost flat, stroke it, come up with an injection system, glow Plugs, turbo if you want power, valve train, cam work, crank work, more block work,heavier flywheel probably to keep it going, and so on... Too much, buy a diesel....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diesel conversion?    Diesel conversion?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diesel conversion?
Page 1 of 1