All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

is that even possible?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nathan wilson
nathan wilson

is that even possible? Empty
PostSubject: is that even possible?   is that even possible? Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 10:30 am

the exhaust on my tractor is the version that comes out under the frame in the front. The engine is a 1985 Briggs and Stratton opposed twin, and every once in a while. it likes to smoke. and, I know its not good to breathe in, so. to my question. is it possible to put a hole in the bottom of the muffler, on the other side of the existing outlet, cap off the existing one, and thread pipe up into the muffler, without damaging the muffler. because my main plan is to run pipe out to the back, and put another muffler on it. my other question is, would it hurt the engine with restricted flow like that? I just want one pipe out, and that's the best way I can think of doing it. I may also use a flange of some sort, but I don't know what yet.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: is that even possible?   is that even possible? Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 11:07 am

It's possible, but the muffler material tends to be thin and hard to work with.

Flow restriction won't hurt the engine, but it may hamper performance.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: is that even possible?   is that even possible? Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 12:08 pm

I would just remove the existing muffler and go from there if you are putting new ones on.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
nathan wilson
nathan wilson

PostSubject: Re: is that even possible?   is that even possible? Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 8:46 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
I would just remove the existing muffler and go from there if you are putting new ones on.
yes, but my prime objective here isto make it quieter, and out the back. I can look and see if the ports are threaded, but I have to take half of the tractor apart to get that far down to the engine. I live in a residential area, with many semi close neighbors. right now its got a deep rumbly sound to it, but its loud. I like the way rainbow boxer did his. that's awesome, but I cant weld, nor can I afford a goodish welder at the moment.  is that even possible? 2429134702 
so, as of right now, ill try to go with 1" pipe, come down where the existing pipes go now, and run duals out the back with mufflers in between. but I don't know if the ports have threads. if anyone knows, that'd be awesome. but, my plan is to, instead of going with two separate pipes, trying to get them the same, ill go with threaded and
elbows. I may, actually come out of the engine and to a 90° out of the right cylinder, to the left cylinder with a T and from there out the back, that might be cheaper, I am on a "toy" budget until I can get some things sold....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is that even possible?   is that even possible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is that even possible?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Chassis Modification :: Exhaust-
Jump to: