All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Happy Holidays!

 

 Opposed twin cranks slow.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TokyoDrift99
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
TokyoDrift99


Age : 22
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 11:33 pm

I have searched the internet all over for a solution to a problem that seems to be quite common for some reason and I haven't found one... I have a horizontal shaft oppy that I really want to save, because from what I understand the horizontal shaft is somewhat rare. My engine always cranked at an ample speed to start the engine. I had a problem with water in my engine so I pulled the heads and took care of that. I put the engine back together and it fired right up. I let the thing sit for a couple weeks while I wired the engine and took care of some flat tires. I tried to start it and it cranks real slow. I jumped it to the starter... still slow. I took apart the starter and greased it, still cranks slow. From what I understand the valves can't really be adjusted unless you grind them down and that usually messes up the engine even more. I don't know what I can do to this thing to get this right, I was so absolutely frustrated with this engine that I took a few weeks break and I am ready to work on it again. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Thunderdivine


Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2100
Forum Rep : 2
Location : Norway, Europe

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 7:58 am

What oil or how old oil? or bad battery?

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
TokyoDrift99


Age : 22
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 8:54 am

As for the oil, BRAND NEW (0 hours) 2 pints 10w-30 and 1 pint of marvel mystery oil. I think it might be overfilled though. As for the battery it was jumped off a running car.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket


Age : 48
Join date : 2013-04-21
Posts : 2911
Forum Rep : 20
Location : Ontario Canada

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 9:08 am

First (and I learned this the hard, frustrating way) take all other loads off the engine. A screwed up transmission or bad clutch can cause enough drag to cause the engine to spin slowly.

Make sure your electrical grounds are good. Especially the one going from battery negative to frame. Take it off the frame, sand any rust or paint off both the eyelet and the spot it bolts to, and bolt it down again.

As for valve lash adjustment-

You're half right. To adjust valve lash, you're filing/grinding. Doing it right and to spec does NOT "mess up the engine even more". Dunno who told you that, but the factory service manual certainly would not advise you to do something that would screw it up!



_______________________________________________
***Get YOUR official "Doc Locked, And Ready To Rock!" Stickers by clicking here!***
***Official Sprocket's Garage vinyl graphics and tees for sale HERE!***
Opposed twin cranks slow. Facebo12
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
TokyoDrift99


Age : 22
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 10:03 am

I'll take the drive belt completely off and redo my ground. Be back in a bit to let you know how it goes...
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
TokyoDrift99


Age : 22
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I think I need a new starter.... Smoke was pouring out of the back of the it. Lol. Do you guys think this 30 dollar amazon starter would work ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V1BHX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1400953942&sr=8-2 ) or should I buy a genuine. Briggs and Stratton one?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket


Age : 48
Join date : 2013-04-21
Posts : 2911
Forum Rep : 20
Location : Ontario Canada

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 8:55 am

Ahh, that one oughta do.

_______________________________________________
***Get YOUR official "Doc Locked, And Ready To Rock!" Stickers by clicking here!***
***Official Sprocket's Garage vinyl graphics and tees for sale HERE!***
Opposed twin cranks slow. Facebo12
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
nathan wilson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
nathan wilson


Age : 22
Join date : 2013-12-15
Posts : 56
Forum Rep : 0

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 11:05 pm

@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
I think I need a new starter.... Smoke was pouring out of the back of the it. Lol. Do you guys think this 30 dollar amazon starter would work ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V1BHX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1400953942&sr=8-2 ) or should I buy a genuine. Briggs and Stratton one?
that's the one that I bought for my tractor... ive gone through 3 starter gears since, but everything else is still in perfect condition. the gear problem is common among oppy twins. I tried my best to find a steel starter gear that was 16 tooth, from what I made out, briggs doesn't even make those anymore.... scratch but, over all, I was going to say starter. I went through 2 old starters with this tractor, and they both were frustrating as hell. to get to them I have to take the entire front end off of the tractor, take all of the shrouds off, get that annoying bugger of a bolt out from under the flywheel, and change the starter gear, and/or the starter. mind you, I had to do this about once a month... Opposed twin cranks slow. 2429134702 
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
TokyoDrift99


Age : 22
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 12:17 am

@nathan wilson wrote:
@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
I think I need a new starter.... Smoke was pouring out of the back of the it. Lol. Do you guys think this 30 dollar amazon starter would work ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V1BHX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1400953942&sr=8-2 ) or should I buy a genuine. Briggs and Stratton one?
that's the one that I bought for my tractor... ive gone through 3 starter gears since, but everything else is still in perfect condition. the gear problem is common among oppy twins.  I tried my best to find a steel starter gear that was 16 tooth, from what I made out, briggs doesn't even make those anymore.... scratch but, over all, I was going to say starter. I went through 2 old starters with this tractor, and they both were frustrating as hell.  to get to them I have to take the entire front end off of the tractor, take all of the shrouds off, get that annoying bugger of a bolt out from under the flywheel, and change the starter gear, and/or the starter.  mind you, I had to do this about once a month... Opposed twin cranks slow. 2429134702 
DON'T even get me started with putting that starter on.  It took me and my dad about 45 minutes to get the bolt started that is further in towards the flywheel. I contemplated pulling the flywheel and replacing it that way, but I don't have a puller.
Back to top Go down
nathan wilson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
nathan wilson


Age : 22
Join date : 2013-12-15
Posts : 56
Forum Rep : 0

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 11:55 am

@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
@nathan wilson wrote:
@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
I think I need a new starter.... Smoke was pouring out of the back of the it. Lol. Do you guys think this 30 dollar amazon starter would work ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V1BHX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1400953942&sr=8-2 ) or should I buy a genuine. Briggs and Stratton one?
that's the one that I bought for my tractor... ive gone through 3 starter gears since, but everything else is still in perfect condition. the gear problem is common among oppy twins.  I tried my best to find a steel starter gear that was 16 tooth, from what I made out, briggs doesn't even make those anymore.... scratch but, over all, I was going to say starter. I went through 2 old starters with this tractor, and they both were frustrating as hell.  to get to them I have to take the entire front end off of the tractor, take all of the shrouds off, get that annoying bugger of a bolt out from under the flywheel, and change the starter gear, and/or the starter.  mind you, I had to do this about once a month... Opposed twin cranks slow. 2429134702 
DON'T even get me started with putting that starter on.  It took me and my dad about 45 minutes to get the bolt started that is further in towards the flywheel. I contemplated pulling the flywheel and replacing it that way, but I don't have a puller.
oh yeah, I didn't realize we were the same age. yeah, I prefer to take a half inch end wrench and get it in there, and turn by turn, I get it off. lately when the gear strips I just loosen the inside and remove the outside bolt, then undo the c-clip then just get the old gear off, then, to put the new one on, I put it on the cog, and turn the flywheel to screw the gear onto the cog, then just reverse. just a helpful hint, with those any little tip will help.  Opposed twin cranks slow. 1222323911 
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
TokyoDrift99


Age : 22
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 12:26 pm

@nathan wilson wrote:
oh yeah, I didn't realize we were the same age.  yeah, I prefer to take a half inch end wrench and get it in there, and turn by turn, I get it off.  lately when the gear strips I just loosen the inside and remove the outside bolt, then undo the c-clip then just get the old gear off, then, to put the new one on, I put it on the cog, and turn the flywheel to screw the gear onto the cog, then just reverse.  just a helpful hint, with those any little tip will help.  Opposed twin cranks slow. 1222323911 
Cool, I never noticed we were the same age. Thanks for the tip but I have to remove the engine to take the flywheel shroud off, because I have a horizontal shaft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Opposed twin cranks slow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opposed twin cranks slow.   Opposed twin cranks slow. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Opposed twin cranks slow.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: Briggs and Stratton-
Jump to: