All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
Site under minor construction...
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

Tecumseh OHV Engines

Go down 
+5
B440
Angchor
dwcopple
Doc Sprocket
jack9102
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
B440
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 12:09 pm

A junk mower makes a good test stand. Don't need anything but the frame and fuel tank. Maybe some cables, battery etc. if you want to get fancy.

Old picnic table would work too, or any large wooden table.
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
ZSmachines

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Well I just picked up an old craftsman with this exact same motor. It is doing the exact same thing!!! Feed it some ether and she backfires. That is the end of that. Has GREAT compression. I have done a small bit of research and found that this is a common problem. Different people swear to different things, and I have heard that it could have loose valve seats, or could have carbon buildup on the intake valve or on the intake valve seat. I just can't decide whether to pull the head or not...
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Have you checked the valve adjustment? If not I would start there.
Back to top Go down
http://gtbarn.com
ZSmachines
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
ZSmachines

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 12:45 am

Yes I have checked everything I can without removing the head.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 20

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm

@ZSmachines wrote:
Yes I have checked everything I can without removing the head.
Does that include the timing key?

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- https://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- https://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- https://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII https://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
ZSmachines

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Do you think it could be that? It is a mower from an auction that I got for 25$ so that i am not destroyed if I can't get the heffer to run, I just have never had a Tecumseh before and would like to run one and learn about them more. Knowledge is power ya know! I personally think that there is just carbon buildup on my intake valve so it can't shut all the way, but the weather has not been cooperating and I have no shop space for it so I have not pulled the head yet. I will check the flywheel key though. Are these motors good even though?
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
ZSmachines

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 1:47 am

Well hot Da
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
ZSmachines

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 1:51 am

Well hot dang Doc ya did it again!! Pulled my flywheel and yep the flywheel key was. Sheared right in half and the flywheel had rotated about a half an inch on he crankshaft! That would explain the backfiring!!! Now will the flywheel key out of a briggs motor work? I really hate puttin an aluminum key back in it... But a huge thank you ya saved me many hours worth of work there Doc. I might even name this build Mule! Lol
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
ZSmachines

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 6:53 pm

So, Long Overdue, But I got a stainless flywheel key, and an adjustable main jet. The teccy purrs like a kitten!
Back to top Go down
chevy8988
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
chevy8988

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 1:17 am

Would two Briggs and Stratton carbs fit on my Tecumseh 18hp OHV v-twin dual carb??
Back to top Go down
Timrsnakess
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Timrsnakess

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 6:48 am

I have a question about my 10hp Tec flathead; how can I get more power with simple mods like swapping carburetors? it has a 12hp OHV carb on it now and i cant seem to get it tuned right
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh OHV Engines   Tecumseh OHV Engines - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tecumseh OHV Engines
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: Tecumseh, Kohler, Onan, Clones-
Jump to: