All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Kevlar Belts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Kevlar Belts Empty
PostSubject: Kevlar Belts   Kevlar Belts Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2014, 5:02 am

as some of you may already know about Kevlar belts i am currently running one, and also was running one on my first mtd just the engine drive belt and it was submerged in water for at least 10-15 mins and it never once slipped on me when it was in a bind, but i also bought one for marys which calls for the same belt and it never worked it slipped enough that it actually melted some all on the inner side around the belt but i was also told with kevlar belts you need to go at least 1"-3'' shorter then what its calling for and so after i went 2" smaller then what it was calling for now hers does not slip at all i did how ever have to adjust her clutch pedal tho to adapt to the smaller belt so if your ever in the market for a new belt u can do so by your local Tractor supply or even Amazon has them im sure others carries them but i believe Lowe's carries them at least not mine but this is what i will be running for now on, on all my future mower builds
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Kevlar Belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevlar Belts   Kevlar Belts Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2014, 8:19 pm

i have a Pix blue kevlar on my bolens, minimal slippage, no stretch. however, i did not get anything smaller. i got the same size as the manual specifies (35x5/Cool and it works perfect. i buy mine from Northern tool for about 5 bucks a piece
Back to top Go down

Kevlar Belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevlar Belts   Kevlar Belts Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2014, 7:16 am

mine i paid 19 for it lol tractor supply for ya
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Kevlar Belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevlar Belts   Kevlar Belts Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2014, 9:33 am

The color is dye for identification, and actually make the rubber Worse.

Same with rubber O-rings, on Viton versus Nitrile they add a color to the Viton either Brown or Blue/ Green 2% color.

And i think people use kevlar belts for a pro-longed life not cause it slips less. - it has the excact same outer shell as a "normal" belt but with a kevlar threaded core.
Back to top Go down
MurrayMayhem
MurrayMayhem

Kevlar Belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevlar Belts   Kevlar Belts Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2014, 1:20 pm

www.vbelts4less.com is a really good website for any belt that you would possibly need for your lawnmower. I get my belts from here. i get the 5/8" kevlar ones and they also come in 1/2" and 3/8".
Back to top Go down
mudman604

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Kevlar Belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevlar Belts   Kevlar Belts Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2014, 9:49 am

i have a Kevlar on my murray, its about 1.5 to 2 years old, iv never had slippage problems even now when the belt is supper thin and stretched. i need a new one soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kevlar Belts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevlar Belts   Kevlar Belts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kevlar Belts
Page 1 of 1