All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!

Go down 
+5
Angchor
B440
redlinemotorsportts
richie thomas
CornShuck4CE
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CornShuck4CE

twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 12:03 pm

T-Dub13 wrote:
So, when the governor calls for more throttle (power to run an accessory) the throttle opens more than usual during just riding around.  Sounds like it runs fine on the pilot jet, but when the throttle opens enough to call for fuel from the main jet, it's getting too much fuel.  

Or it's not able to ignite the charge because of a weak ignition.  Either problem can make it seem like it's flooding out.

Make sure your spark plug gaps are no more than .020".

Check your spark plug wires and plug caps to make sure they're not arc'ing out anywhere, sometimes on the shroud or fins...

Does it blow black smoke when it's blubbering and struggling?  If so, it's still too much fuel.

Try running without an air filter to see if there's a change.

Keep us posted!  
Been running no filter the whole time. New plugs swaped the coils to opposit sides. There still firein. Beleave me it will light you up pull the wires as its miss firein and the left cylinder settin on the mower runs dead but plug still fires. I o no. Still messin with it.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 3:03 pm

Does the plug fire when it is in compression?  
(It takes more voltage to fire in compression than in when not in compression)

Do both sides have equal compression?

Are the plugs wet?
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 3:08 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Does the plug fire when it is in compression?  
(It takes more voltage to fire in compression than in when not in compression)

Do both sides have equal compression?

Are the plugs wet?
Ill have to get back on that but. The compresion seems good. Need to get back to dis thing aint messed with it in a week or two
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 3:30 pm

Yep, that's what I was trying to say about weak ignition: A plug will spark out of the machine, but if the ignition is weak, gap too big, or if there's a leak in the insulation letting it arc out on something, then it won't fire inside the motor under compression.

Think about it this way: If a motor is 10:1 compression, then the spark has to jump through 10 times more air with the same gap. That's why it can be deceiving sometimes checking with the plug out of the machine. Cool
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 3:42 pm

Yup did that and i understand all that. Thats why i swaped the coils to see if the coil was bad. If it was a bad coil it would have acted up on other cylinder with sam e coil. But no still missing on the same cylinder.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 5:32 pm

Is your connecting rod and push rods ok? We just had one exactly the same come in with a bent push rod the other day at the shop.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 6:20 pm

Aint tore into it but i dont think so. I may have a valve problem
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 7:21 pm

CornShuck4CE wrote:
Aint tore into it but i dont think so. I may have a valve problem

A pushrod problem would be a valve problem.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 7:25 pm

Sorry kinda blew through that post i saw connecting rod and thats it. Not push rod. But yea in the vacinetyof valve train
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 8:32 pm

I dont know how a bent pushrod would cause this but i do believe its int the valve train.

I heard a story about a tractor breaking the crank right at the front before the timing gear. It idled, drove, but reved up like crap. Highly unlikely, but possible i guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2