All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New way to measure belts after pully swap?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

SWAP - New way to measure belts after pully swap?  Empty
PostSubject: New way to measure belts after pully swap?    SWAP - New way to measure belts after pully swap?  Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2014, 10:48 pm

so guys, im sitting here, bored, which is a bad idea.. i got brainstorming (even worse idea) and thought about belts.....

I am considering pullyswapping my bolens 1055, and was trying to work out what size belt to get. i got thinking of a 'new' way to measure.

Know what size belt you previously had, now measure (or know) what size pullies you are swapping on. now, subtract half of that pully diameter from your old belt, and theoroetically, you'll have the new belt size.

Example-
Starting with say.. 35 inches, just cause thats what i have.
Now i swap on a 5 or 6 inch pully.
now, using my "formula", i subtract 2.5 (5 inch) or 3 (6 inch) from my previous belt
By this math, i will need a 32.5 (5 inch) or a 32 (6 inch) belt..

What is your take on this idea? do you think it would work? i have yet to try it, so i wouldnt know. it SEEMS like it would work though... let me know what you guys think.. maybe im just cray cray  rabbit 
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

SWAP - New way to measure belts after pully swap?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New way to measure belts after pully swap?    SWAP - New way to measure belts after pully swap?  Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2014, 9:28 am

are you putting on a smaller pulley? if you are, that would work. if you are going bigger, you need a longer one.
Back to top Go down

New way to measure belts after pully swap?
Page 1 of 1