All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.

Go down 
+9
Thunderdivine
CornShuck4CE
Ariens YT11
Creepycrawler
redlinemotorsportts
Craftsman1998
slim67
kawasaki220
steelshooter
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
steelshooter

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2014, 4:04 am

That was the intention, I actually just put a piece of electrical tap over that "corner" of the light and it turned out pretty neat. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2014, 7:27 am

Not hard to imagine why I'm liking this build!
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: More pictures- finer details   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2014, 7:59 pm

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4318

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4319

I am looking at figuring out some fender flares for the rear, and I need to figure out how to get the most out of one of these "shift on the go" type drive mechanisms, the type that has two pulleys stacked on top of one another, and I am experiencing some slip issues when my belts and pulleys get wet.
Thanks for the support.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2014, 8:03 pm

Welcome to vari-drive. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2014, 10:21 pm

This is a great video on how it works.

https://www.atltf.com/t3364-mtd-trans-matic-vari-drive-shift-on-the-go-demo?highlight=vari+drive

Maybe another spring on the rear idler, not really sure.

Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2014, 11:39 am

I love what your doing to this it's starting to look a lttle like my mower I love these old mtds there do easy to mod up look at my mower and one of the videos I put up I have got real cool febder flars on it that u can use and for the belt prob I have the same set up as u and what I did was get a cevlar belt on it and got a tighter spring from the dubble pulleys to the frame I have had water the the seat and I had no slipige at all
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2014, 12:12 pm

You should name it sherman :p
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Broke my transaxle!   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2014, 10:38 pm

With all the playing around I have been doing and hauling trailers that are clearly overloaded, I managed to break my welded transaxle. I took it all apart and found that my welds that I had done with my little flux core welder broke, but I have since gotten a good HTP Mig welder, so I cranked that baby up and spray welded that sucker back together. I'm sure this light weight transaxle will find another place to break, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: New fender flairs!   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2014, 7:33 pm

These were made from standard lawn edging
rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4320

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4321

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4322
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2014, 2:00 pm

looks good almost looks like my mower
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Locked rear is still good to go   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 8:18 am

For all those that might be interested my locked rear trans is still holding up well. I am interested in getting a one different though, this system definitely has it's weak points. I picked up an older craftsman mower a while back and thought of using the trans off of that but that mower works so dang good as an actually lawn mower I cant bring my self to pull it apart. I got it for 25 bucks, from my neighbor who was moving.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 4:18 pm

Looks really good!!! Dig those tires
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Hauling with my off road mower   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 11:00 pm

Just hauling some fire wood with the mower. It gets the job done.
rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4411
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 11:02 pm

Thanks Carshowkid, they have some bite to em' that's for sure. The true test will be when I start to push snow with this machine and the snow plow I built for it.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2014, 9:17 am

steelshooter wrote:
Thanks Carshowkid, they have some bite to em' that's for sure. The true test will be when I start to push snow with this machine and the snow plow I built for it.
nice! That will for sure be a test!... Is it hard to make a plow for a tractor? Is there a link I missed on this site??? Cause if I could build one... Then I don't have to buy one for $150-$300
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2014, 10:02 am

It was pretty easy to build the plow, I did it in a weekend. I am really excited for the snow this year so I can try this contraption out. I think my biggest problem will be traction so I might have to find a set of chains for it, we'll see though. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2014, 10:32 am

steelshooter wrote:
I think my biggest problem will be traction.
with mud tires and a locked diff... I would think you will be fine... But idk...
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2014, 4:14 pm

I hope so. I did just complete a nice upgrade though. I added a 12v outlet for use with a spotlight and other accessories. This is a nice outdoor rated outlet that has a rather strong latch on the front to keep out water and other elements. This was a simple mod, but really adds to the usability of the mower. I got this item at an O' Reillys' store for about 15 bucks.
rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4410

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4411

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4412
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 8:04 pm

With the added 12v outlet, that make me want more electrical power for brighter lights and things, has anybody ever mounted a vehicle alternator to a mower and whats the best way of doing it? I have a pretty good idea for the brackets, but the electrical is my weak point. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 8:07 pm

Make like fearlessfront style pull start and attach an alternator to it. If you still want a pull start put a double pulley on the top.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 10:54 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Make like  fearlessfront style pull start and attach an alternator to it. If you still want a pull start put a double pulley on the top.
that is your answer... Or attach it underneath the tractor... But then you risk getting it wet... Or put a pulley and a long rod going to the top of the tractor... (Under dash or something) with a pulley on the top of the rod and put the alternator there... But that would be mostly the same as a pulley on top of the engine
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: It has a name.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2014, 11:06 pm

Well, I'm still thinking of the best way to mount an alternator, I like the idea of mounting it above, near the engine but, the engine bay is tight. But for right now, the rider now has a name. It will be called the MCV (Mission Capable Vehicle).
rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4510

rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Dscf4511
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   rear - New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2