All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New guy from Tennessee saying hey.

Go down 
+5
Thunderdivine
SGreenwood
ratcatcher
redlinemotorsportts
Hossman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Hossman

New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Empty
PostSubject: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeOctober 29th 2014, 10:38 pm

Hey guys, i have been watching some videos on off-road lawn tractors for a while now, and recently came across a deal that was too good to pass up ( think so at least). Found a Craftsman GT 6000 for $100. Went to pick it up and was a little disappointed that the original 20hp Kohler twin was replaced with a 12.5hp B&S and a rickety looking fuel tank was mounted up front. At least they used a Briggs lol. Tried for 15 minutes to get it started but i knew what was wrong with it. It had water in the carb bowl and a stuck float So i offered her $25 for it and she took it.  The deck is in fair shape, no seized spindles or anything, so i figure i can sell that for parts money. Haven't done anything to it yet but replace the battery and put a push button starter on it, but i have lots of ideas.

New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Img_0010
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2014, 7:04 am

Welcome welcome welcome! 25 bucks is a great deal got a 6k, lots if moddable things there to do to make it your own. Very heavy duty axle, throw as big of tires you want on it.
Back to top Go down
ratcatcher
ratcatcher

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2014, 12:58 pm

nice looking mower
Back to top Go down
SGreenwood
SGreenwood

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2014, 3:32 pm

Good looking mower! Ive been trying to find a GT for a while. Everyone wants too much for them around here. But i did score my LTV for $50 so I can't really complain! I'm new too but these guys have been nothing but helpful. This site is a fantastic place for guys like us!
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2014, 5:00 pm

Welcome, ya can't go wrong with that mower Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2015, 12:04 am

Well i finally found an 18HP Briggs opposed twin to replace that little 12.5 the 6k had in it. Picked it up for 100 bucks, figured i wouldnt find one any cheaper than that. Only bad part is i have absolutely no idea how to wire this thing up. The guy left all the wiring attached to the engine so it has what looks like 300 feet of wiring. Im sure most of it went to the other mower it was in, but most of that will be useless to me. All i need as far as wiring is for the battery to charge, headlights, and for it to run of course. Local small engine shop said it would cost $100 to wire it up. I dont really wanna drop 200 bucks into this thing seeing as it is just a romper. If anyone could help me figure out how to wire this thing up and save me 100 bucks, that would be awesome.

New guy from Tennessee saying hey. <a href=New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Img_0010" />
Back to top Go down
the old guy

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2015, 5:45 am

Don't pay anyone a 100 bucks to rewire your mower look on Youtube you'll find a ton of how to vids do some homework ask questions here.
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2015, 11:28 am

Im definitely not going to pay them 100 dollars for them to just wire it up. Ive been looking online for videos and diagrams. I'm going to see if i cant get it going this weekend.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2015, 3:05 am

Have you got it wired up yet. What part of TN you from, just curious. If you don't have it wired up yet hit me up since I have a opposed twin 19.5.
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2015, 2:12 pm

yeah i finally got it wired up and running fine. only problem now is im trying to figure out the choke. the throttle assembly i got with it had the choke and throttle cables both on the throttle lever. im trying to figure out how to rig up a gas pedal but its not working out. if i open the choke all the way at low idle, it dies, if it closes at higher idles it sputters and dies. i know its all about the fuel/air ratio. so i assume since it has no spring on the choke valve you have to operate the throttle and choke in sync?
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2015, 5:50 pm

Hossman wrote:
yeah i finally got it wired up and running fine. only problem now is im trying to figure out the choke. the throttle assembly i got with it had the choke and throttle cables both on the throttle lever. im trying to figure out how to rig up a gas pedal but its not working out. if i open the choke all the way at low idle, it dies, if it closes at higher idles it sputters and dies. i know its all about the fuel/air ratio. so i assume since it has no spring on the choke valve you have to operate the throttle and choke in sync?
I would go through the governor and rip off the connections between the choke and the throttle butterfly (I think, from what you've said, that'll fix your problem) then run a separate choke.
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2015, 11:41 pm

craftsmancole wrote:
Hossman wrote:
I would go through the governor and rip off the connections between the choke and the throttle butterfly (I think, from what you've said, that'll fix your problem) then run a separate choke.

Well there isnt any connections between the choke and throttle. It has seperate cables to the throttle and choke, they just both connected to the throttle lever that was with the engine. I was thinking of making some type of auto choke with a spring on the choke to keep enough tension on it to close it when its not running, and when it turns over it will suck the valve open to get as much air as it needs. pretty sure that wouldnt work though.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2015, 2:02 am

I say you have water in the carb. Or a bad fuel line.
Mine did that till I cleaned that out. Here recently I had that problem again and cleaned it out but no time later it did it again. So then I drained my gas tank, separated the water from the gas, cleaned the carb again, and 10 min later it did it again. I replaced the gas line and filter and it quit having problems. It has been 2 months now, so far so good.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2015, 11:02 am

Welcome, looks like a nice machine to mess with. Same rear rims as the old sears.
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2015, 8:43 pm

Yeah im just going to take the carb apart and clean it and rebuild the fuel pump and replace the fuel lines and fuel filter. Trying to scratch enough money together to buy myself a small welder so i can start having some fun. Thought about if i should lock the rear end or leave it open. Im just going to leave it open since my welding isnt that great, and these transaxles are hard to find. Thanks for all the help guys.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2015, 2:26 am

Get a JobSmart 125 welder from tractor supply for $150. What I have and I hear it does better than the basically similar Hobart for the money.
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2015, 5:45 pm

I just got a pay increase (from 14.92 to 16.92) and back to 40+ hours at work so i will have myself a welder soon. Im just trying to figure out what transaxle is in this thing. It looks like a Peerless 633a38, but i dunno. It has a sticker on the left side of it, but all the writing is gone off it. Most of the similar looking transaxles dont have the vavle at the top of the case. Looks like some sort of pressure relief valve? I really want a locked axle just to have that confidence when i take it off road, but from what ive seen its pretty complicated on these things. On a different note, i finally got the carb rebuilt and this thing runs like a champ. I love the lope this engine has at idle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy from Tennessee saying hey.   New guy from Tennessee saying hey. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guy from Tennessee saying hey.
Page 1 of 1