All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue

Go down 
+5
mr.modified
willysjeepmb
Doc Sprocket
redlinemotorsportts
redneckbogginboy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
redneckbogginboy

Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Empty
PostSubject: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 6:39 pm

I have a 16hp oposed it runs but here is the problem my left cylinder will get hot to the touch normal but my right cylinder says cold it does not have points its an electronic Magneto do yall have any  ideas what could cause this also the right cylinder does get fuel I know this because I pulled out the spark plug and it had fuel on it
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 7:03 pm

Try changing spark plugs? sounds to easy, but i had a cyl die on a trail ride and we threw a new plug in and fired right up. You can get brand new spark plugs cheap, and verify its getting spark.
Back to top Go down
redneckbogginboy

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 7:05 pm

I pulled the plug out and grounded it and its getting good spark
Back to top Go down
redneckbogginboy

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 7:06 pm

@redlinemotorsportts
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 7:30 pm

Time for a compression test. And by the way- try another plug anyhow. Sometimes a good "looking" plug won't fire under compression conditions.
Back to top Go down
redneckbogginboy

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 7:51 pm

On the compression test in read 150 dry and 170 wet I got new plug gonna test it tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 8:24 pm

That is exceptionally strange. Timing isn't a factor because it's a waste-spark system and runs fine on the other. Excellent compression all but eliminates valves, guides, rings, head gasket, etc. She's getting fuel because the plug is wet. I really think you need to try another plug first.
Back to top Go down
redneckbogginboy

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2014, 8:25 pm

Ok thanks doc
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2014, 8:42 pm

Y'all better be glad I joined. I had this problem before. You will never believe this unless you seen it. Mine would not run for nothing on my right cylinder with any spark plug. So I pulled the wire off  the one not working while the engine was running. It arched about a 1/4 inch away from the spark plug, then the second cylinder started firing. After seeing that, I pulled the boot off it. Took a piece of clear hose and cut it about 3 inches long ( make sure its a snug fit on your spark plug). Grab a hose clamp and put it on the end of the hose. Slide the spark plug wire in and tighten down the clamp snug enough you can barley move it. Put the hose on the spark plug with the wire still in it. Adjust the wire a1/4 inch away from the spark plug. Start it and use something insulated to move the wire closer till that cylinder starts working. Turn it off and tighten the clamp more. Tada. You have just solved the problem that has been making you mad for the last 3 hours trying to fix it right. This will not work if the wire is touching the spark plug, it has to arc.
It quit a month later, so I just put a spare coil on it and had no more problems. This happend to me over summer on my 19.5hp opposed twin.
Oh yea, the hose clamp is to hold the wire put, don't use it to hold the hose on the spark plug. If your hose is small enough it will not fall off.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2014, 10:03 pm

Could be right, maybe the coil is messed up. I don't know exactly how they work, but maybe it gets more spark to one wire or something because of an internal short (Or whatever you want to call it). This does make some sense because I have heard of leaving plug wires loose on tractors on cylinders where the plugs foul to keep them clean. I don't know how you get hotter spark at the plug when the spark has to jump twice, but I have heard of that before. I've seen people leave the plug wires loose on snowmobiles too trying to get them started. I never thought it would make any difference myself, but maybe it does do something. Chevy used these type of coils (picture below) on a bunch of different stuff. They are similar to opposed twin coils in that you have two wires on the same coil. Usually if you have a bad coil, both cylinders miss, but rarely, only one of the cylinders has a miss. It is a little strange that you still have spark when you check it. It could be not enough though, and maybe when hooked up to the plug in the cylinder, as doc mentioned, the compression makes it harder for the spark to jump. Maybe most of the energy is then following the path of least resistance to the good cylinder. Double check everything else first, make sure you didn't miss anything. New plugs or just switch to opposite cylinders. You know the one should be ok because it is firing. Then try a coil. I think they are about $40 something new right?
Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Image_6
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2014, 11:56 pm

Both sides fire at the same time. You may have a bad wire from the coil to the plug.
Back to top Go down
98svtcobra

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2015, 5:03 pm

I bet its the coil. I would replace it. I had spark and all sorts of issues with my oppy and it ended up being the coil. I thought it was the carb but it was a weak spark.
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2015, 5:50 pm

I would say coil for sure, but it wouldn't hurt to try a $2 plug before you buy a $50 coil.
Back to top Go down
Average Joe

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2015, 12:51 am

To agree with doc also I looked at my friends car cuz it wouldn't start so I took the coil pack off to check the plugs and they all had nice blue spark so I threw em back in and nothing. So I got new plugs first off cuz that is pretty much the cheapest starting point and sure enough the old plugs worked great outside of a compressing cylinder but not inside and the new ones fired it up like normal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue   Briggs - 16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

16HP Briggs Opposed, One Cylinder Stays Cold Issue
Page 1 of 1