All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

need help with wiring

Go down 
+2
Thunderdivine
Madmowers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Madmowers

wiring - need help with wiring Empty
PostSubject: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2014, 4:31 pm

I rewired my mower the fearless front way but when I push my start button I hear the sillonoid click and nothing happend any ideas on what's wrong
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2014, 5:02 pm

Pics?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2014, 6:30 pm

We're definitely going to need more information in order to be of ANY help to you.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2014, 7:05 pm

sounds like you have a bad starter. or bad connection, or even an incorrect connection
Back to top Go down
ratcatcher
ratcatcher

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2014, 9:55 pm

firstly, try putting a screwdriver across the two terminals on the solenoid, if you are still getting the same "click" then it's your battery that is at fault, flat or under powered? or bad earth
if holding the screwdriver across starts the mower, then it's the solenoid at fault, just buy a replacement
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2014, 10:22 pm

If the solenoid clicks, your wiring is correct uo to that point. Now.... on the solenoid is two large terminals. One should go to battery positive, the other to the starter. Correct? Othe then that, make sure your negative cable from the battery to the frame has a very good connection. If that all checks out, then its likely the solenoid or the starter.

To test the solenoid, short the two big terminals together witha screwdriver. If engine now cranks, solenoid bad. If no change, then its not likely the solenoid.

To test the starter, grab a booster cable, and connect one end to battery positive. Now, with the clamp on the other end of that booster cable, tap the lug on the starter. If engine cranks, starter good.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2014, 10:42 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
To test the starter, grab a booster cable, and connect one end to battery positive. Now, with the clamp on the other end of that booster cable, tap the lug on the starter. If engine cranks, starter good.

make sure the starter is either on the engine, or grounded with the other clamp. to ground it, clamp the neg to the battery, and the other end onto the mounting plate of the starter, with the positive, connect to batt positive and tap the lug on the starter, like doc said
Back to top Go down
ratcatcher
ratcatcher

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 5:43 am

ok, I get it, no point in the brit trying to help, my advice just repeated twice and no need for that extra information either Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 6:51 am

ratcatcher wrote:
ok, I get it, no point in the brit trying to help, my advice just repeated twice and no need for that extra information either Evil or Very Mad

Ahh, don't worry about it. Even with the repetition, it's helpful. SOmetimes folks word things differently, and perhaps something one of us says (even if it's fundamentally the same thing) will get the job done.
Back to top Go down
Madmowers

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2014, 4:33 pm

I put a screwdriver across the terminals and nothin happend I'm thinking it's the ground I had a booster box hooked to the battery cables but when the screw driver crosses the terminals I don't hear a click
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2014, 5:29 pm

Madmowers wrote:
I put a screwdriver across the terminals and nothin happend I'm thinking it's the ground I had a booster box hooked to the battery cables but when the screw driver crosses the terminals I don't hear a click

try putting the booster right onto the starter. positive on the lug and the ground onto the frame somewhere. make sure the metal is free of paint and rust. when you cross the terminals, it wont click, because youre bypassing the guts of the solenoid.
Back to top Go down
Madmowers

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2014, 11:18 pm

It will start if I hook it straight to the starter
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2014, 11:46 pm

Madmowers wrote:
It will start if I hook it straight to the starter
so I think if I understand correctly... Means you got a bad solenoid
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2014, 1:23 am

sounds to me like a bad cable or bad connection somewhere. go over everything with a fine toothed comb. i would get a tube of di-electric grease and grease all the major connections.
Back to top Go down
ratcatcher
ratcatcher

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2014, 10:10 am

it can be one of two things, your battery (not enough juice) or the solenoid,
stop using the booster pack, as this is not helping to identify your problem

1st, try running a wire from your battery straight to the starter, does it then fire up?? if not it would be your battery at fault
2nd, hook your booster up to the solenoid now when you hit the button, does it fire up the mower, if yes, then you have proved your solenoid is ok, but not your battery
if it wont fire up this way, then you know your solenoid is at fault
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help with wiring   wiring - need help with wiring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need help with wiring
Page 1 of 1