All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

opposed twin review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
crafsmankiller

twin - opposed twin review Empty
PostSubject: opposed twin review   twin - opposed twin review Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2015, 9:09 pm

This applies specificaly to the 42 c.i engines, but applies to all briggs opposed twins.

We all love oppys right? Right. Ive ran alot since i got it and these are just things ive noticed or tested it for.

Power and torque.
Plenty of power and torque. Running 1:1 pulley ratio in top gear on a mst i could pull the front wheels off the ground from a rolling start at idle. But above 1/2 throttle it still had power but it wasnt as punchy and had alot less acceleration.

Fuel.
Aw yes. The most important aspect. These engines love fuel. Not as bad as you think though. Consider these as Big Blocks of the mower world. They get great mileage at a constant rpm, be it low or high, but constantly hit the throttle or intentionally run it wide open and it'll drink the gas.

oil.
c'mon its a briggs, it doesnt need oil.. seriously though, mine has 5 year old oil in it, it sat for 2 yrs before i got it, i let it sit for a yrs, and now its sitting again. it needs a oil change, but i havnt had any problems with water-thin oil in it. if anything it halps the top rod.

Spark plugs.
These things hate champions. Ive killed 7 champion plugs in mine. something about dual wires on a single coil. Me and my friend run E3's in these things and havnt had any problems whatsoever.

Last edited by crafsmankiller on September 10th 2015, 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: opposed twin review   twin - opposed twin review Icon_minitimeJune 5th 2015, 10:19 am

Governer:
The governers are adjustable on these. The little screw with the spring on it adjust the max rpm. Minimum is about 2000rpm and max is about 4000rpm. Mines turned all the way up and ive had no problems out of the engine, if anything the engine likes to get 'stretched out' sometimes. Plus their loud as heck at full throttle so its easy to make the neighbors maad. Mine neighbors love me because if ut
Back to top Go down
Customrust
Customrust

PostSubject: Re: opposed twin review   twin - opposed twin review Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2015, 1:07 pm

Parts: Parts are readily available and much cheaper than the ones for a kohler or onan opposed twin.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: opposed twin review   twin - opposed twin review Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 1:01 pm

And thanks to arc racing we can get billet parts for them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: opposed twin review   twin - opposed twin review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

opposed twin review
Page 1 of 1