All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Is this a good trans?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
madmowerz

Is this a good trans? Empty
PostSubject: Is this a good trans?   Is this a good trans? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 4:31 am

Hey guys i just found this site so im new Very Happy

ok so ive been working on my off road mower for about a month now. its almost done other than the fact i need to get a pulley and belt.

Mainly what im trying to figure out is if a peerless 600 sieres trans is any good. it seems as if it is much more solid then a foote or so. idk. it is much older. its 3 speed with reverse i had it running with crazy gearing and its silent and is a actuall oil filled trans. not hydro tho.

will this thing hold up 2 roading? also if any of you have ever tore into one of these you will see that the differential has 2 c clips for the 2 axels. i had an issue at first with those popping off into the trans so i had to tear into it it almost seemed as if it was to big of a c clip. so i just may get small ones for it.

any how tell me what you think Very Happy this tractor btw is a wizard by god who knows. cant find any dates or anything on it
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good trans?   Is this a good trans? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 7:06 am

welcome abord- have any pics of your tractor?

If its the trans im thinking of, i have a couple of them- ones in my 82 dynamark and the other is in my 80's agway ( call it a murray)- i also have one from an old simplicity mounted under a MTD im thinkering with.

The trans in the agway has lasted thru several years of mud and water down in the swamp behind my folks house - ironically its lasted longer then i thought since the one axle seal is gone and literally there was almost no oil in it- haveta go get one for it. Im still working on the agway- i added rear wheels up front - changed the pulleys a lil bit to get more then a granny 3rd gear from it ( was taking me too long to drive anywhere).

The dynamark is a regular mower- could be from previous abuse but it sometimes has issues going in reverse.

If you have a harbor freight nearby, i bot a box of bulk c clips real cheep there- if theres enough room, its possible you could use a large washer and drill it for a cotter pin for an alternative.

Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good trans?   Is this a good trans? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 3:21 pm

peerless 600's are great trannys. The racers love them and call them bullet proof. with that said i would think it would be great for off roading.
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good trans?   Is this a good trans? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 3:23 pm

And sorry, i almost forgot to say welcome aboard! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good trans?   Is this a good trans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this a good trans?
Page 1 of 1