All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

English man in France

Go down 
+2
MatthewD
hampshireborn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hampshireborn
hampshireborn

English man in France Empty
PostSubject: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 3:21 am

Hi all, Thank for letting me join, as the title says grew up in south of uk and now living/working in france . I do have a few questions later but will get a few pics first
Back to top Go down
hampshireborn
hampshireborn

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 4:38 am

Hi all
Want to build a racer something I can hack around the field,I have an old 89 Roper and some advice please, the chassis is got the deep sides at the engine area witch makes it difficult/ impossible to work on the motor now has anyone modified one like cut the sides away engine area and strengthened it using box section? I did try to post pic but something went wrong.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 7:56 am

Welcome!
First of all, you need to specific as to what tractor you have. I think it's a Rally Roper because its the only Roper I could find with those deep plates covering the engine.

Is it like this one?
English man in France $_1

I presume you just unbolt them.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 8:04 am

Welcome to the hobby and the forum! There is info about posting pics in the "new member help topics and site tips" section.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
hampshireborn
hampshireborn

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 9:04 am

Hi matthewd
no the plates do not come of they run the full length of the tractor so really part of the integral strength, I may just trim some of it out to have better access on motor. I was interested on what others had perhaps done.
Back to top Go down
STUNTMAN JON
STUNTMAN JON

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 2:44 pm

hi there, welcome aboard Wink

im not familiar with this machine myself, but do you know if the tractor has the original engine fitted? if an aftermarket engine has been fitted maybe that could account for poor access to some degree. What elements of the engine do you wish to gain access to by lowering the plates?

how thick is the material and is it definitely structural?

Jon
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 3:23 pm

It doesn't really look that structurally important from the pic I posted, more just as a cover for the engine. I would either cut them away and brace it up a bit, or cut them out and make them bolt-on. If you could show us an exact pic of your mower it would help.
Back to top Go down
STUNTMAN JON
STUNTMAN JON

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 3:59 pm

MatthewD wrote:
It doesn't really look that structurally important from the pic I posted, more just as a cover for the engine. I would either cut them away and brace it up a bit, or cut them out and make them bolt-on. If you could show us an exact pic of your mower it would help.

Matthew i think it forms an upward u section, its hard to see, some other versions online without the sides, but could be completely different chassis with the same bodywork, just like all the different variants of murray/mountfield/hayter etc that do that. i wouldn't chop it away without knowing what it does and how it is loaded.
Back to top Go down
hampshireborn
hampshireborn

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 4:13 pm

Your right SJ its a U shape , I may cut a bit out then strengthen it with some box section
Back to top Go down
STUNTMAN JON
STUNTMAN JON

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 4:18 pm

If you do cut a chunk out of it, run the box section along the length of the wheelbase for max strength Wink otherwise it will just want to buckle where the reinforcement stops Wink
Back to top Go down
hampshireborn
hampshireborn

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 4:30 pm

yeah that would hurt if it folds in 2 at speed...lol
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 5:45 pm

Hi Hampshireborn,

Welcome to the forum. If your referring to the mower in your profile pic, I had one just like that but it was a craftsman with a 10 hp techumsa motor and a 3 speed in it. I used the 3 speed from it in my build for the build off last year (2015) and used the motor for my riding mower that does wheelies, and used the frame itself for the metal and cut out pieces for my build in the build off last year. The main frame is 1/16 inch thick, thin steel plate in other words. I think it would be safe if you cut down no more then half way where the motor is to help uncramp that area. If I remember right, the very front holds the grill on too. Shouldn't have to reinforce it because it's a pretty strong frame itself but will flex a little more maybe under extreme riding, like off roading it over rocks or holes.

Here's some pics of what's left of mine, LOL.

Cut where the red line is.
English man in France Frame210

English man in France Frame_10

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
STUNTMAN JON
STUNTMAN JON

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 5:48 pm

yeah man i kind got the impression it would be 'thin as' if the chassis had to be that depth.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 6:09 pm

It's a pretty strong frame, all in all. I remember the sides of the rails covering just about the whole motor. About 8 inches tall on the rail. Making it into a racer should be strong enough easy, even after cutting the rails some.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2016, 10:51 pm

Welcome. Wish I could be in France between June 15-19th this year. It's a little far for me though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: English man in France   English man in France Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

English man in France
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: New Member Forum :: Introduce Yourself Here!-
Jump to: