All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2020 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-Hillbilly Offroading . . . 2-darkside0914
HASPIN 2021 . . . Wednesday June 23rd through Sunday June 27th.
2021 Top Tractor Challenge August 14 competition –August 15 competitors ride, Pymatuning Pennsylvania **INFO HERE**
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

Front Suspension Ideas

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

Forum Rep : 42

suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi,
I am considering adding a single link front suspension to my Build off Westwood using coil overs.

There are a few things that I need to know:
I'm seeing a weight rating beside each shock. Does the stiffness increase or decrease with the number? So is a 200lb shock softer than a 750lb?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Hammer
Hammer
1997 Murray

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 4:48 pm

200 is softer than 750.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Ah right thanks!

I'm thinking of going for 2 of these for the front. What do you think?
http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/mini-moto-dirtbike-bike-rear-shock-absorber-suspension-195mm-200lb.html
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Hammer
Hammer
1997 Murray

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 11:16 am

those will work good.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks. I think I'll order those then.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 1:58 pm

That's how much weight it takes to compress the spring. I used those small bicycle ones for the GTR project, they were 750lbs I think. But I mounted them at a super steep angle for more leverage. If you get the 200lb ones, you should be good mounting them straight up and down on the axle. They seem to work ok.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Prybar
Prybar
MatthewD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Yes that's what I figured it meant. I am just gonna mount them straight up and down on my front axle so should be fine,
Back to top Go down
Jmessier13
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 12:02 pm

I made front suspension for my craftsman lt2000

I used the stock axle cut in half to have a twin I beam style suspension. I ended up mounting go kart shocks on the front too close to the pivot point which resulted in a saggy front end unless youre going up hill. the fix for it would be mount the shock as close to the spindle as possible and don't have a super steep shock angle. You need pre load to keep your front end up. If I could figure out how to post pics id post some
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Ideas   suspension - Front Suspension Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Suspension Ideas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Chassis Modification :: Suspension and Lift-
Jump to: