All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What are the best front tires?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

Front - What are the best front tires? Empty
PostSubject: What are the best front tires?   Front - What are the best front tires? Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2016, 8:44 pm

I'm looking into getting new front tires as the current (original) tires are cracking. They are 16" tall 5" wide rim 9"tall rim. I've seen some aggressive tread and turf tread. I'm planning to use the original rims. What tread would be best for mud, trail riding and rides smoothish?
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What are the best front tires?   Front - What are the best front tires? Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2016, 1:12 pm

something like this.

Front - What are the best front tires? Atv_ti10
Back to top Go down
MasonMcK
MasonMcK

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What are the best front tires?   Front - What are the best front tires? Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2016, 8:23 pm

Rim size is measured at the bead seat so even though the diameter at the lip of the rim is 9", it is more than likely an 8" rim. 16x6.50-8 is the most common size for those and it should say on the sidewall of the tire. 

As for what tires to buy; it's all about preference and there's tons of different tread types out there. Just get something with deep and wide spaced lugs from a quality company. 

As for sizing, 16x6.50-8 will fit for sure, but you can move up to bigger sizes like 18x8.50-8 (I know because I have done so on 8"x5" rims) or 18x6.50-8. I wouldn't chance going with 18x9.50-8 though because the shop struggled for a little while to mount up my 8.50 wides
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the best front tires?   Front - What are the best front tires? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are the best front tires?
Page 1 of 1