All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Can you help me with an onan engine?

Go down 
+4
Ropertractor14
dangeroustoys56
Oren
Jordan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jordan
Jordan

Can you help me with an onan engine? Empty
PostSubject: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 8:58 pm

i bought an old sears suburban and its got a big twin onan but it doesnt run, from what i understand parts are not available anymore but what about points? or a coil? it doesnt run due to no spark and if i can id like to use it
some numbers i found are
BF - MS/2833E
SERIAL K753134686
Back to top Go down
Oren

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 10:26 pm

Local mower guy told me he gets Onan parts from Linamar. I had heard Linamar took over production when Onan dropped their flathead engines. Also heard coils made for Harley-Davidson twins will work.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2011, 12:47 am

I have a 20HP onan opposed twin sitting in my shed- cranks but has no spark.

You can get parts at specific tractor parts places - possibly RV repair places as well ( most RV's use onan motors ) that carry onan parts .

Be prepared to dish out alot of cash - parts arent cheep.

Ill have to look into a harely coil - theres a couple motorcycle places nearby- thats the problem with twins, need it set up for 2 wires.
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2011, 4:23 pm

Probably any cummins dealer can get parts for your onan. Not cheap but you can still get some things for them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2011, 11:15 pm

like ropertractor said, parts are very expenive. $100 for my carb float on my 16hp twin. runs like a swiss watch now...
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2011, 7:48 pm

so im finally looking into getting that onan i have running and im wondering if someone can steer me to a good site to get new points
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 9:14 am

There's a Kit you can buy to do away with the points. If you go to the website, Smokstak.com, there's a bunch of info on there to help you out. You can buy almost anything for it aftermarket if you do a google search for it.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 12:08 pm

I love that forum. I'm a member there and it's a gold mine of info for almost everything mechanical, new or old.
Back to top Go down
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 4:49 pm

i bet u could rig up some briggs and stratton points. my uncle did that to his xr75 and my jacobsen engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with an onan engine?   Can you help me with an onan engine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you help me with an onan engine?
Page 1 of 1