All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read

Go down 
+5
Double W Cross Ranch
MightyRaze
MatthewD
tater195
Doug
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Empty
PostSubject: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 2:17 pm

I made a post about this almost 4 years ago, and with the onslaught of new members I feel it should be brought up again.

I have been observing posts lately, and have noticed a lot of what we call "Generic Posting" and "Multiposting". Multiposting and generic posting needs to stop.

-

Generic posting is defined as short responses that provide no substance to a post. Examples are "Yeah" "yes" "ok" and other short posts, which are not appropriate responses.

The last time I had brought this up to an Admin meeting (back in early 2013), a good point was brought up; sometimes people want assurance that their post was read. However, posting "yeah" isn't exactly the way to do it. Generic posts fill up empty space, space that could be used by more thought out responses. Space that could be saved instead of reading through a build thread and having to go through 30 pages of "yeah, ok".

Now, how can we stop generic posting? Well first off, if its not going to contribute in some way, don't post it. Next, think of a decent response instead. If someone says "Ok, I'm going to go out and measure x tomorrow", don't reply "ok", just wait until they follow up. Or, if they say that and don't reply in a few days, bump the thread up with a "Figure it out yet?".

We realize not all generic postings are like that. One of the places where generic postings are acceptable is on a thread dedicated to pictures, or following up a picture. The "Game" threads in Off-Topic are also exempt. However, try not to copy or repeat what the last post said and put more effort into making a more fruitful response.

-

Multiposting is defined as posting multiple times after your past post in a short amount of time, with nobody supplying any responses in between your posts. This bolsters post counts (messing up our statistics) and clutters threads with excess blank space or signatures.

To prevent multiposting, clicking the edit button Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Edit12 in the upper right of your last post will bring you to the text editor, allowing you to add in whatever you need to.

There are VERY FEW exceptions where multiposting is allowed. The only time it is permitted is if a/ your thread hasn't been replied to in about 4-6 hours (or so), and you have something useful to contribute. For example, if you need to update your build and nobody had posted it in it for a day or two, or maybe you updated it in the morning and nobody posted in it all day and you need to update it again at night. Another time is if the start of a thread would benefit from being split up. A good example is my announcement posts, where a substantial breaker may be needed to better convey a message (see the 2016 Build-Off Prize thread). Or if you are posting a ton of pictures and the text editor gets maxed out or it will get too long.

-

Hopefully this will clean up some of the posts. I know I get aggravated when I see a new post and its "yeah", or a thread is only "active" because somebody did 3 posts in 10 minutes.

To combat this we have been deleting posts (in the event of Generic Posting), or consolidating posts (in the case of Multiposting). However if it carries on and gets to be an issue we may just end up deleting posts at our discretion.

If you have questions, PM me, try and catch me in the chatbox, or post it below. Thanks.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Last edited by MightyRaze on December 21st 2021, 1:40 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor update, edit button appearance in topic.)
Back to top Go down
tater195
tater195

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 2:46 pm

Somehow I feel this is directed at me since I was the last to post before this. The first post was in response to a question from thursday, and the 2nd post was a build update since I was in there anyway. I guess both unrelated posts could have been consolidated in the first one, but I didnt think about the build update until I check the shipping status of the wheel spacers.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 3:21 pm

tater195 wrote:
Somehow I feel this is directed at me since I was the last to post before this. The first post was in response to a question from thursday, and the 2nd post was a build update since I was in there anyway. I guess both unrelated posts could have been consolidated in the first one, but I didnt think about the build update until I check the shipping status of the wheel spacers.

Not really, it kind of includes you but not just for you. I had planned on making this post for a while and finally posted it, its actually a modified version of one I made almost 4 years ago and part of a rule/ guideline revision that's been overdue and set to be done before the new year. Its not to point fingers, just a reminder and a general guideline.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
tater195
tater195

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 3:34 pm

So what exactly is the rules for build threads? You can only make 2 posts a day if no one comments?

I have seen where post editing comments adds to the confusion and makes for a crappy read if somebody jumps in at page 15 and wants to get up to speed on the build
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 3:50 pm

tater195 wrote:
So what exactly is the rules for build threads? You can only make 2 posts a day if no one comments?

I have seen where post editing comments adds to the confusion and makes for a crappy read if somebody jumps in at page 15 and wants to get up to speed on the build

If someone doesn't reply within a large span of time, try to edit your last post. The more I think of it, 12 hours is a large span, so I reworded that.

Of course if someone else responds, that "timer" resets.

And say you did a light post, but then did a ton of work that would result in a post with a ton of sustenance. Then you could effectively multipost.

The multiposting guideline is to help cut down on "generic" posting and bolstering post counts which throws off activity statistics (think spam).

Just be aware of your posts. Its not a rule, so you cant get any negative repercussions (unless it becomes spam), but it may result in stuff being accidentally copied wrong or deleted. Deletion would be a last resort of course.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
tater195
tater195

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 4:00 pm

ok thanks for clearing that up (is this in violation or do I need to add more to it?)
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 4:03 pm

Thanks for posting this Doug, I catch myself Generic Posting sometimes without meaning too.

Just wondering, do posts like 'Looks good' in a build thread count as Generic Posting?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 4:08 pm

tater195 wrote:
ok thanks for clearing that up (is this in violation or do I need to add more to it?)

Nope, this is perfectly acceptable as my response acted as a buffer.

MatthewD wrote:
Thanks for posting this Doug, I catch myself Generic Posting sometimes without meaning too.

Just wondering, do posts like 'Looks good' in a build thread count as Generic Posting?

Depends on the context. I generally try to add more if I can. If the last few replies were similar you may want to revise.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2016, 4:11 pm

No problem, I try and ask a question after that or pick up on a detail that I like.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2018, 11:24 am

[adm]Just a reminder of Generic Posts...
Please go back over the rule.[/adm]

Hate to admit, I am guilty of this sometimes as well.  Lets get back to being descriptive with our posts.  My own worst offences are typically:

"Looks great!"

Instead of that, maybe I should have said:

"Looks great!  I really like how you did ""blarb-a-blarb"" with the ""blarb"".  Also like how it ties together to create that awesome ""blarb".

You get the message...

Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 2731072446

PS:  To help with this, measures have been turned on to help.  There is now a 10 character limit to posts.  Multi-character posts like

"OK..........................." or similar to bypass this limit will get you a warning.
Script is broken...

Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Sig214Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Sig314
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2018, 2:31 pm

Assuming that you plan to fix the script, would this affect threads such as the Off-Road Pictures thread, where you are only allowed to post pictures? If you posted, say, 3 photos, would they be counted as a character each?
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2018, 4:11 pm

No because it would count the whole URL.  Right now the script is a no go.  Admin and Mods will just have to continue staying on top it.

Other projects
Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Sig214Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Sig314
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 3:36 pm

[adm]PLEASE REVIEW THE TOP POST IN THIS TOPIC.  I would also like to add, PLEASE keep build threads mostly on topic.  Build-Off threads need to stay on topic, and technical thread MUST stay on topic.  I may start "hiding" off topic posts.  If way off topic, they may get wiped. [/adm]

We'd like to keep the threads clean so when they are being reviewed later, they are more enjoyable to read.

Thanks for understanding!

Other projects

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 3:54 pm

There is a new Minimum post count for the forum.  I know there is some topics that say no text for picture threads.  Just put in a ....... on those threads.

Other projects

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 5:42 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
[adm]Just a reminder of Generic Posts...
Please go back over the rule.[/adm]

Hate to admit, I am guilty of this sometimes as well.  Lets get back to being descriptive with our posts.  My own worst offences are typically:

"Looks great!"

Instead of that, maybe I should have said:

"Looks great!  I really like how you did ""blarb-a-blarb"" with the ""blarb"".  Also like how it ties together to create that awesome ""blarb".

You get the message...

Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 2731072446

PS:  To help with this, measures have been turned on to help.  There is now a 10 character limit to posts.  Multi-character posts like

"OK..........................." or similar to bypass this limit will get you a warning.
Script is broken...
I typically just give a tap on the old like button if I don't have anything real to add

Murraymountain and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 8:32 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
There is a new Minimum post count for the forum.  I know there is some topics that say no text for picture threads.  Just put in a ....... on those threads.

Thank you for not setting a maximum! As y'all have noticed my posts are long winded for sake of details and thoroughness! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 8:39 pm

Brianator wrote:

Thank you for not setting a maximum! As y'all have noticed my posts are long winded for sake of details and thoroughness! Lol

Agreed. I've been called a lot of things but short winded ain't one LOL Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679 Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read 1098998679

Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 10:59 pm

After reading the posting guidelines I find myself hardly posting much for fear of violating the guidelines.
Just as good since I have little of value to post, so .....yeah it works, I mostly just hit the like button when I remember it's there.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2022, 11:45 pm

You don't have to stress @FatMike or feel nervous to post. The main thing(s) to know are Build Off threads are to be kept on topic, you can add comments and suggestions if you desire with no worries, I personally enjoy it so I know others are enjoying my build! For regular build threads you can do the same but it's a little looser with a little banter allowed just don't get carried away! Lol. Then there's the Off Topic, Non Topic and other threads plus the Chatbox where anything (within reason) go. I personally encourage you to feel comfortable and kick up a little chatter, we're a community here and everyone including yourself has something to bring to the table so bring it! Lol

Now @MightyRaze can swoop in and ease your mind as well!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

TechnoChicken likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read   Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Multiposting and Generic Posting - Please Read
Page 1 of 1