All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
biggasmowers
Veteran Member
biggasmowers
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Empty
PostSubject: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitimeSat 10 Mar 2018, 2:32 pm

Not sure of this is in the right thread but it's where I am posting it.

A few asked how i made my oppy pull starts , so the last one I made I took pictures of the proccess.
So first I found a flat idler off of a deck that fits inside the cooling fins, then took the plate that holds the fins on and lined it up on the bottom of the pulley, then marked and drilled 3/8 inch holes for the 5/16 inch bolts that run down to the flywheel. Then I welded another mounting plate to the top of the stock engine plate to create a spacer ( could be used without welding but I prefer the ease of having it all stay together. ) then welded the spacer to the idler lined up with holes, and bolted it on then ground in a notch for a pull rope. Let me k ow if this was helpful or if you have any other ideas to improve the design . I generally use smaller pulleys but this was the only one I had on hand and it fit. Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  20180345
Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  20180347
Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  20180346
Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  20180343
Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  20180344
Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  20180348
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitimeSat 10 Mar 2018, 6:01 pm

That's a pretty good idea. I have the MTD deck drive pulley on Mutt, and a fearlessfront style one on Orion. Shoulda found a bigger pulley for the one on Orion lol.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitimeSat 10 Mar 2018, 8:07 pm

OK, So how big is the pulley and how hard is it to pull start it? I never did a pull start like this. Mine are usually done with the Techumsa pull start setup bolted to the tin of whatever engine with the cup on the flywheel center bolt and works OK when you start from the compression stroke.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitimeSat 10 Mar 2018, 8:20 pm

Nice post. I honestly didn't know there were posts down here. It may end up in the B&S section, but you don't have to worry about that.

Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Sig214Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Sig314
Back to top Go down
biggasmowers
Veteran Member
biggasmowers
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitimeSat 10 Mar 2018, 8:25 pm

On my other oppys I have no issues pulling it. Of course I have quite a bit of arm and body strength lol ( probably from pulling so many times) the compression really does not even matter , it pulls pretty easy. I think it's a 6.5 inch pulley or so. I can get some great rpms from a rope starter and start easier than using a starter motor . But it's not as fast as you have to wind it up and such.

Yeah mighty I couldn't find a section for srudd like this.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitimeSat 10 Mar 2018, 8:45 pm

I have a 6" pulley on Mutt, I can start her with a good tug, with one arm.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitimeTue 13 Mar 2018, 6:45 pm

Thanks, I put a pull string starter on my Tecumseh 10hp, but when I built the engine I disabled the easy start on the cam. Now I have to pull it up to compression stroke, then start it and hope it catches. Is a pain and keep breaking the rope to start it. The starter still works on it which is why I haven't fixed the easy start.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.    Briggs - Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pull start for Briggs opposed engines.
Page 1 of 1