All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Make your own transmission?

Go down 
+6
Mtdmudmower
Double W Cross Ranch
mowerjunkie03
RichieRichOverdrive
Crazy_Carl
prancstaman
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
TechnoChicken
Established Member

Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Make your own transmission?   peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2022, 5:56 pm

Yes, that would be very cool, is the purpose of this trans just to have a stronger solution to standard transaxles?
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Make your own transmission?   peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2022, 8:02 pm

Cool

Last edited by Nevadablue on March 29th 2022, 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Make your own transmission?   peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2022, 9:26 pm

Hay People,
Thanks for the interest! Nothing to report on the trans I plan on making with the metal I bought. Still sitting next to the fridge. It'll be a while on that project.

I am playing with the Foote transaxle now. I got the case cleaned up so I can start measuring the locations of the parts that go in it. Can't remember if I mentioned it but I will be using the Foote 3975 parts to make a gearbox for the 4x4 mower I am building. Plan on keeping it simple enough to make it with easy to get tools. Like a welder, hand grinder, hand drill, and so on.

Pic of where I am on it right now.
peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 20220310

I still have to clean the guts. Time is hard to come by these days, as it may seem. But still moving forward........................
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Make your own transmission?   peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2022, 10:03 pm

@Nevadablue I think you missed the point of this thread. You are right, about the golf cart parts though. I would have chosen ATV parts if I wanted bullet proof parts for the project. Also, probably would fail if I make my case like the original case. But rethinking how the power flows through the gears another way would make the parts in question more reliable. Like eliminate the vertical input shaft completely would simply eliminate the vertical input shaft from ripping off from a high-powered motor. Remaking the case to have the input right on the countershaft assembly, which is a 1 inch shaft, would be way stronger, instead of having the power go through a 5/8" shaft that chokes down to little over a 1/2" on parts of the shaft and then going to the countershaft assembly. Which would move the gearing for the input of this shaft (about 3 to1) on the outside of the gearbox and be easier to connect to the motor.
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Make your own transmission?   peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2022, 10:20 pm

Cool

Last edited by Nevadablue on March 29th 2022, 12:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Make your own transmission?   peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2022, 11:58 pm

Never mentioned my idea being bulletproof
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make your own transmission?   peerless - Make your own transmission? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Make your own transmission?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3